Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Unofficial Daybreak Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools

This is a fan made created expansion for BSG the boardgame. It has been play-tested a numerous amount of times in 3,4,5 player game variants. The goal of this expansion was to 'update' the game in terms of it's counterpart [the television series] as well as making a slightly faster-paced game, while still keeping the essence and overall rules of the fantastic original version.

Have Fun Playing while we wait for the Pegasus Expansion!

Download Now! v2.0http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dqwingmznuu

What's New?

Jump Coordinates
Daybreak introduces Jump Coordinates. Much like the initial ‘Set Up Ships’ of the Setup Phase, the Jump Coordinate cards will tell you where to place ships, as well as adding or subtracting resources after a jump.

New and Edited Character Cards
New Character Cards [and abilities] have been created to better represent their actual counterparts in regards to the story arch of the entire television
series [Battlestar Galactica]. If you haven’t watched all of the series, and care if you are spoiled, perhaps this isn’t the game for you.

And Much More...

Please give any comments (congrats or critiques), in terms of the game, and we'll gladly take it all in. Hope you enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hallstrom
United States
Indiantown
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Might have to try this some time. Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok even with out testing this..(I think I will) I have some questions.

Is there always a attack on galactica after the jump?! Do you have to replace all destination deck cards or what?

Apollo: does his "talent" allways work even if on the brig for example? So basically apollo is admiral that cant be stripped of the tittle and for example adama (other admirals) is Hugely worst. And apollo cant play executive order cards on other or what?

valerii: I think once per game abilitiy is very very weak?!

What deck does thyrol draw cards from? if dice says so?! What is his own deck?

Dee If placed on sickbay is it true that she cant move even if moved away from sickbay before start of her turn? (executive order or ability)

And I think harbinger of death is also very strange ability. I think only time you would use it is when you are about to be revealed and have multiple skill cards to play to checks?! Not much use to play on human side?!

I love the ability to airlock someone!But if its efectively all you can do as amiral plus the nukes (if lee is on play) its a too little in my mind. Also there might be aproblem that for some people trying to airlock is just too hard if he does not have the necesary skill set!?

If everyone else can throw in only one card. (you can pretty much guess that the person being airlocked will resist!)

Also I know you cant just remove airlocked player from the game (which would make thematically perfect sense i think) but airlocking someone seems allways good for humans!?I mean ok he looses some skill cards and is placed on the sickbay efectively taking him out on many skill checks and crisises but even if the player is a human. Humans are now much closer on knowing who the cylons are?!

When is the sleeper phase activated by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic job! Just one question: what is the "DT" icon on the final jump coordinates card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Fantastic job! Just one question: what is the "DT" icon on the final jump coordinates card?

I would guess damage token?! So the galactica (because at the start basestars attack) might start with even as much as 3 damage tokens?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for your questions everybody. I'll be sure to collect these for FAQS in the next update.

Väinö's questions -

Is there always a attack on galactica after the jump?! Do you have to replace all destination deck cards or what?
Yes, there is always a setup after Galactica jumps. And as stated per the rules, all destination cards are discarded and replaced by Jump Coordinate cards.

Apollo: does his "talent" allways work even if on the brig for example? And apollo cant play executive order cards on other or what?
Apollo's ability does work in the 'Brig.' The only way he would be stripped of this ability is if he would be a revealed Cylon. And yes, on his turn, Apollo may not play an 'Executive Order' card.

Valerii: I think once per game abilitiy is very very weak?!
I can definetly see what you mean in terms of the original version. But, with Daybreak this can be very effective (as she has been playtested very much). Since the Jump Coordinate Cards allow for more action in the game, her 'Cylon Computer Virus' ability can mean the difference between jumping the fleet and losing no population, to losing a bunch of civilian ships and a ton of population.

Dualla - Saitarron:
Yes. She can be given an Executive Order to get out of Sick Bay.

I think harbinger of death is also very strange ability. I think only time you would use it is when you are about to be revealed and have multiple skill cards to play to checks?! Not much use to play on human side?!
Strange indeed . Yes, the example you gave would be a great circumstance,if you were a Cylon to hurt the humans. But it in Daybreak, the resources seem to go down a lot faster and we felt that her ability was fair-minded to gain that Morale. Also, in general, we felt Starbuck's character in the original game was extremely powerful and needed to be adjusted a bit.

Airlock:
You've made some very good points. Airlock was a long discussion in the process of making this little expansion. In terms of skill set, we felt if you were the Admiral, you would have Purple and Green skill cards and that is your best opportunity to pass the Airlock skill check. We know with the loss of Destination Cards that the Admiral's powers were diminished a bit, but we felt that the addition of the Airlock would suffice.

Sleeper Agent Phase:
The sleeper agent phase is activated after the second jump.

Also, I'm sorry I couldn't understand your Chief Tyrol question. If you could please help me understand it better that would be great, and I'd be glad to help.

Chris' question -

What is the "DT" icon on the final jump coordinates card?

Väinö was right. It does mean 'Damage Token', meaning that there might be as much as 3 damage tokens in the last phase. After play testing, we found that to be a pretty straight-on number, as in the original version damage tokens weren't much of an issue for us unless a cylon revealed very early in the game. We wanted to give a hidden Cylon a little more incentive to stay hidden and help hurt the humans besides just contributing negatively to skill checks in terms of gameplay.

Again, thanks for the questions. Keep them coming. I hope those responses made sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cpro wrote:

Apollo: does his "talent" allways work even if on the brig for example? And apollo cant play executive order cards on other or what?
Apollo's ability does work in the 'Brig.' The only way he would be stripped of this ability is if he would be a revealed Cylon. And yes, on his turn, Apollo may not play an 'Executive Order' card.

Dualla - Saitarron:
Yes. She can be given an Executive Order to get out of Sick Bay.

Airlock:
You've made some very good points. Airlock was a long discussion in the process of making this little expansion. In terms of skill set, we felt if you were the Admiral, you would have Purple and Green skill cards and that is your best opportunity to pass the Airlock skill check. We know with the loss of Destination Cards that the Admiral's powers were diminished a bit, but we felt that the addition of the Airlock would suffice.

Also, I'm sorry I couldn't understand your Chief Tyrol question. If you could please help me understand it better that would be great, and I'd be glad to help.

Again, thanks for the questions. Keep them coming. I hope those responses made sense.

Thanks very much for the quick answers! I will certainly try this but I have some follow up questions!

1)Are you guys fans of apollo in the show or what?! I think (have not tested yet but I promise I will!) that Apollo is just SO STRONG the card is actually BROKEN/UNPLAYABLE! He is second on president list! So in most games he will be president and actually also acting admiral for allmost all purposes! Ok I give that you have "fixed" Wiliam Adama and Roslin so that they are stronger and more playable! But I think the point of them being so weak in the orginal is that they are starting admiral and president!? SO THEY NEED TO BE WEAK SINCE THEY GET ALL THE POWER IF PICKED AT THE START OF GAME!

I Like what you did with william adama and I am fine with the modifications on Roslin! But Apollo is just way too strong...I guess thematically it makes more sense that he is close to president and also helps with the admirals choices!(in the tvseries) But gameplay wise its just terrible! Here is my reasoning: If at the start of the game he is cylon! Humans have no chance! He can subtly make bad choices in admirals decisions when he chooses to do that! He will also most likely BE THE PRESIDENT (atleast in our games. No one likes Roslin) Humans are good as dead! If he is human then Humans will have allmost too easy of time since bot offices president and admiral are effectively in the hands of one human player!? Again if he is Cylon he must be airlocked imidiately and even that might be too late if the player knows what he is doing. Also humans then loose the airlock ability so amdiral is a lot weaker after that.

So that was comment with reasoning! Here's the question: CAN I PLAY DAYBREAK WITH OLD APOLLO? or is it unbalanced. I dont like how strong the new one is.

2.)Dualla = You should fix the wording on the card to state= If she _STARTS_ her turn in sicbay (afther the turn she has been put there) she cant do x!
Now its just confusing and seems like she will suffer the penalty on her card even if she is moved out from the sickbay before her turn starts?

3.Chief Tyrol = Self isolation could you please explain it for me?! It talks about some "Deck" but what deck are we talking about and what does it effect the game?

4. Comment I think Wiliam Adama is also mayby little too powerful?! (Scratch what i said earlier ) I mean he is the first admiral! That should count as something! Mayby you could fix it by explaining his current weakness on the once per game abilitys text and giving him ALSO a REAL WEAKNESS (even if minor) lets say for example that he can't throw those people mentioned on the weakness text into the brig (with his once in a game ability) BUT ALSO he cant activate admistrators location?! That would be so neat since his once in a game ability is allready so powerful!? (A lot more powerful I think than the orginal get 15-20 skill cards but discard half of them when the current turn ends.. no matter whos turn it was used on)

5. I really like Tory Foster card! Now I dont have to bother with the symphathizer card I hate so much!

6. Great art you guys! And I really like the abilities on Tom Zarek! My friend will just love it since he allways want to be Tom anyways!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Väinö -
Thanks for taking the time and care for this expansion.I'm glad you like Tory and Zarek. They too are some of my favorites to play. In regards to your questions:

Apollo - Your reasoning is perfectly clear, and I think you have a point in terms of how powerful he is. The scenario you brought is one we knew would be difficult for the humans, but thought it was interesting in terms of gameplay (we really wanted the humans on their backs). But, after having a talk and thinking about it, we have altered his ability. It now reads "On this character’s turn, when a Crisis Card states 'Admiral Chooses,' you now make the decision instead of the
acting Admiral." This solves the scenario you mentioned in which Apollo could be a Cylon and still use the ability in the Brig, as well as limiting his power to only his turn (so might get to use that ability 3-4 times a game). This also matches thematically in regards to the show (which is important to us), so we therefore have changed it. Please download the latest release.

Chief Tyrol - 'Deck' simply refers to his hand. So if he rolls a 3 or lower, he must discard one skill card randomly from his hand.

Adama and Character Cards - From playtesting Adama (a lot mind you ), I think he is a very sound character for the Daybreak expansion. I'd hope you'd give a playtest for all the characters as they were specifically designed for Daybreak's style of gameplay, but of course you can do what you please in terms of the character cards as this is a game that's supposed to be fun!

NOTE: I have updated the Daybreak Expansion with clarification on character cards (Athena and Helo), as well as a fix for Apollo. Please go to the first post to download the latest release (v1.1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow fantastic work on apollo! Now I will try this without modifications next time I play Battlestar Galactica!

Some ideas for you next update! Actually only nitpickings about wordings this time!

1.Chief should state folowing:

Self-Isolation - At the start of each player's turn, roll a die. If 3 or lower, randomly DISCARD 1 skill card from your HAND.
I believe this is what you meant?! (I could be mistaken!?) If you do you should definetly avoid words like "withdraw" and "from your deck".

Since nowhere in the orginal galactica rules is anyting said about "withdrawing" and also Chief does not have "his own deck". Use terms that are allready familiar to gamers?

2. Admiral card should atleast state that no one except the admiral can choose to play more than 1 skill card to this (airlocking) check. (Also if you can put this in as well rules: how to use nuke and what you must roll for what effect!)

This is because by far the best thing about your expansion is that it has no new "extra" rules to learn. (your beautiful new cards tell everything needed!) (except for how to use jump cordinates!)
Plus in my mind it makes a lot of the charracters just better! More fun to play! (Ok have not tested but I would imagine so)

So please if you can keep it simple!
And again as much as useful information you can put into the admiral card the better! I dont mind that it lacks the nuke information since even orginal card did have it wrong! But it would be better with that information also included!

Also the picture totally not needed (in the admiral card)! It gives the admiral the false idea that most of his job is airlocking the shit out of "bad" people! He can do this only once anyway and you do have 2 nukes so picture OUT and necesary game text IN!

3. Lastly but not necesarily you should add numbers to jump cordinates so that I will remember what comes after what!?

(Ok you will allways remember which one comes first since its only one that has the starting values for resources and also I can remember that the battle is last because its the most toughest of them all. Problem is with the 2 in the middle)

So numbers to the jump coordinates or even better short text : "Next stop: new caprica" etc

You can surely understand that in the heat of the battle against evil cylons these little details tend to get fuzzy!

p.s. You can still tell me if I am wrong but I assume I am not and will play "dee" so that if she goes to sickbay and my turn is next. I play Executive order on her. She can now move out of the sicbay and will not get any penalty when her own turn comes next round?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read your new release from line to line! LOL (so my mistake) You should really have updates mentioned in the beginning of the document! Now I had to hunt for them.

In helo I found 1 word changed?!

In Athena card I found NO CHANGE!? You mentioned something was changed?! I did not find it!

Also idea You could make Cylon computer virus ?action? a little better if you changed folowing.

1. posibility: Word action should be discarded and it should work like Samuel Anders once in a game ability! This way you could atleast use it at the best possible time (with no extra penalty of losing whole action on it!)

IMPORTANT!! This has also the added benefit of not having to REMEMBER that Athena played the cylon virus for example 5 turns ago when the "activate raiders" actually does happen (And it now should be discarded but WHO THE HECK REMEMBERS AT THIS POINT)!? This can happen easily with luck or if roslin chooces to arrange crises so that "activate riders" just does not appear in the next 5 turns etc...

2. If you do insist keeping it as action then it should mayby work on next activation of raider, heavy raider, centurion or basestars of Athenas choosing?! This would make it atleast little bit better since right now its by far the worst once in a game ability out there!`?

I dont really mind since I never play sharon anyways but if someone likes (the back-stabbing bitch ) You might want to consider changing that ruling?!

EDIT: THE TEXT THAT COMES AFTER NOT THAT IMPORTANT FORGOT TORY! MY MISTAKE.

Also on a totally different subject alltogether! Why did you remove from the game Baltars AWSOME ability to be little bit more likely a cylon? (and also Athena's)

My gaming group has like zero knowledge of odds! (except for me!) They allways at every possible spot suspected the player who was Gaius of being Cylon!! It was so hilariours!

Ok I admit it may be not the most THEMATIC thing because Gaius was not infact a cylon in the series! But for example Saul was so if you really wanna be that bent on being thematic why does he not have the negative ability to be more likely a cylon?!

So anyways I dont really mind the change as much as wonder why did you do it?! It was one of the most fun aspects of the game for my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some comments!

Jump Coordinates
This is a cool idea, and it's nice to always have cylons. However, the resource loss at each successive one is pointless. For almost all practical purposes, you could start the resources at 4, 5, 7, 9 and skip the intermediate stages.

Additionally, I think it's too bad that this results in removing the destination mechanic. Almost all the interest in fuel, as well as a significant interesting part of the game in Launch Scouts and the Admiralcy is based on this.

I'd be much happier to try this variant if there was still some element of choosing destination.

Admiral's Command
This looks fun but I don't think it adds much. The problem is that if you eject a Cylon, it's actually better for them than if you brigged them! They basically gain an action with the free reveal.

Strangely, the situation where the airlock is better is if you target a human, because it reveals their loyalty cards. I'm not sure that this makes it ever worth using, however. Usually using an Arrest Order is far and away the best option for dealing with an obvious Cylon.

One way you could balance it more towards being better against Cylons, and worse against humans, it to do it like this:

Pass: Remove the character from the board. That player discards his hand. On his next turn, that player instead reveals his loyalty cards and moves to either the Resurrection Ship or Sickbay depending on his alignment, then ends his turn.

However, it's still very rarely useful for the admiral. Its best use is actually in the hands of a Cylon. As starting admiral, I would consider activating the ability and intentionally failing, just to remove that capability from the game. That's not a good sign.

Gaius
This is horrendously broken. His ability is even better than Roslin's, and that was ridiculous! His drawback is not nearly as bad as hers, either, and he draws a much better set of cards, and brig-avoidance as his once-per-game is not bad. I have to say his drawback is pretty cleverly designed though.

Roslin
How good is draw a card, then discard a card? Well, a card is about 2 value, and a discard is about -1 value. Drawing and discarding as approximately worth half a card, so her ability is like +1 (well, a bit less) card every turn. That's fair. Opera house vision is pretty powerful, but on her I think it might still be fair. (Note: it should say "Action:".) And her drawback is fine. (Well, it's basically nothing. And that's fine.) Oh! Setup:Sickbay? Hehehe. Nice design.

Zarek
He's fine, although I think it's kind of silly that he can't use Administration.

Tory
Well, her first ability is pretty pointless. Her second ability is fine, but not that fun to play. Her drawback really screws up the game, making it favor the Cylons too much. That would be pretty awful to play with. Even without that drawback she's not very good (no good ability) and I would never pick her.

Adama
Hmmm... an ability better than Helo's on the Admiral? I guess that's OK since the Admiral position lost most of its power. His OPG does not need to say "without a skill check".

Tigh
The text says he can give it to himself, but the theme would disagree. Can he? Fair (but worse than Adama, so I don't think he'd get picked).

Helo
His first ability is creative but I suspect it would play pretty boringly. His once per game is awful. Apparently, he hasn't heard about Executive Order, which does basically the same thing. I'm not sure how his drawback works. Crises can't be failed, only skill checks.

Gaeta
The first ability is pretty awful. It's very unlikely to matter. His once-per-game is hard to evaluate. Vengeful is, um, not a drawback? It's better than most characters' abilities! Apparently he's a pretty strong character.

Apollo
His first ability is overwhelmingly likely to never matter. Even if it does come up, most crisis Admiral choices are not worth revealing your bad intentions over, particularly at the end of your own turn. his drawback is debilitating as a human and I would never pick him.

Athena
A fair first ability, an annoying but OK drawback, and a weird once-per-game. The disappointing part in my opinion is that her once-per-game is useless if she's a cylon! She's probably not worth picking since she draws no green or yellow.

Kara
Her once-per-game is clever; it's great if she's a Cylon and it lets her get out of Sickbay or the Brig at the cost of an action - which is like +4 cards or +7 cards respectively (and a morale swing).

However, her drawback is so awful I don't think I'd ever pick her.

Sam
Apparently he's the good pilot. Wow - that's one of the best once-per-games and the drawback is actually a benefit.

Chief
Both his abilities are almost completely useless, his card draw is bad, and his drawback is the worst one of any character I've ever seen.

Dee
Well, she's not very good, but I'd pick her over one of the non-Anders pilots.

Battle of the Colony
I notice there are some heavy raiders in the setup. They're pretty pointless given that this is the last jump.

If I played a game with clones of myself we would pick
1. Baltar
2. Adama
3. Sam
4. Roslin
5. Gaeta
6. Dee

There's a pretty large variance in the power of the characters. The later picks might change around a bit depending on mood but Baltar would always be picked first.

There are quite a few interesting ideas here! But, I wouldn't want to play it until it's better balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sean - Thanks for your comments and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy most of the characters.

I'd hope you'd maybe give the game a shot, as I said before, it has been play-tested many times and no characters in my opinion are even close to broken. Characters with abilities you claim to be 'useless' and the 'worst characters you've ever seen' is a pretty harsh statement and simply not true. I won't go into detail why, because I have a feeling it won't change your mind, but a serious thank you for taking the time and downloading the expansion.Sorry I couldn't convert you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
I have some comments!

Jump Coordinates
This is a cool idea, and it's nice to always have cylons. However, the resource loss at each successive one is pointless. For almost all practical purposes, you could start the resources at 4, 5, 7, 9 and skip the intermediate stages.

Additionally, I think it's too bad that this results in removing the destination mechanic. Almost all the interest in fuel, as well as a significant interesting part of the game in Launch Scouts and the Admiralcy is based on this.

I'd be much happier to try this variant if there was still some element of choosing destination.

Ok so I have to disagree with you!

Here's detail why!

If game starts with 4 - 5- 7 -9

vs.
If game starts with full resources then gradually you lose some resources.

In the first example if Cylons reveal in the first turn and some how get to use some dirty tricks and are able to reduce first resource to 0 (so -4 to first resource) Humans lose imidiately!

In the secound example if Cylons reveal at the first turn and are able to do the same dirty tricks then humans still have time (excatly until the last jump) to use for example presidental cards to get even 1 resource back! They can still win the game!?

I guess you could play it as YOU suggested but it is majorly favoring Cylon side! (Also in my mind not that THEMATIC because you loose resources do to jumps)

This game is allreaydy too hard for humans so its better like in the orginal rules!

To some degree I have to agree with you about raptors being quite useless! And fuel uses meaning! But you major point still was quite off!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chuck can you tell me what you think about my suggestions?! I did a lot of work to come up with them during last nightsnorecry

And I had work today!surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
Ok so I have to disagree with you!

Here's detail why!

If game starts with 4 - 5- 7 -9

vs.
If game starts with full resources then gradually you lose some resources.

In the first example if Cylons reveal in the first turn and some how get to use some dirty tricks and are able to reduce first resource to 0 (so -4 to first resource) Humans lose imidiately!

In the secound example if Cylons reveal at the first turn and are able to do the same dirty tricks then humans still have time (excatly until the last jump) to use for example presidental cards to get even 1 resource back! They can still win the game!?

Yeah, that's why I said for almost all practical purposes. I estimate this would matter in a very small fraction of games.

By the way, the fact that I said I would always or never pick characters isn't that big a dig. The original game has the same problem! It's just a result of allowing people to pick whatever they want. If you have a character that is '84' good, and another that is '85' good, it's better to pick the second one. Now, there are small value changes that happen based on player number and what other people pick and what you're in the mood for. But the base strengths have to be extremely similar for those other factors to add their variety.

Also by the way, I never said a character was the worst ever. I said his drawback was the worst I'd seen, and that's true. In a 5-player game, for example, he will have to discard about 2 cards every round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
vhirvela wrote:
I read your new release from line to line! LOL (so my mistake) You should really have updates mentioned in the beginning of the document! Now I had to hunt for them.

In Athena card I found NO CHANGE!? You mentioned something was changed?! I did not find it!

Also idea You could make Cylon computer virus ?action? a little better if you changed folowing.

1. posibility: Word action should be discarded and it should work like Samuel Anders once in a game ability! This way you could atleast use it at the best possible time (with no extra penalty of losing whole action on it!)

Also on a totally different subject alltogether! Why did you remove from the game Baltars AWSOME ability to be little bit more likely a cylon? (and also Athena's)

So anyways I dont really mind the change as much as wonder why did you do it?! It was one of the most fun aspects of the game for my gaming group.

Väinö:

Sorry I couldn't get to your questions sooner, and thanks for caring and putting thought into it.

Once we get more FAQ's and errata I'll be sure and add a 'what's changed in this update.'

The Athena card simply changed her name to Agathon as someone pointed it out to me. Also, the change for her ability is definitely a possibility, but I think it warrants more playtesting because it has worked well so far. I do like removing it as an action though, and just make it anytime.

I know I know. Everyone loved the Baltar ability, so that's why we took it away (just kidding). We felt 'thematically' that Baltar evolved so much through the series that he definitely needed to be changed. We, in our group, were also not of fan of his original negative ability as it took a little from the game and we were happy with the changes we made. The ability for him to look at Crisis Cards is such a help for the humans, but he discards so many cards.

Sean:

The points that Väinö made is pretty much the reason why '4-5-7-9' resources isn't true at all. By that knowledge, with destination cards, you can pretty much say the same exact thing about the original game (the cards don't stray that different from resource to resource in destination cards). The way the game plays in terms of who is a cylon and the way crisis cards are drawn dictate resources (and now Jump Coordinates do to).

Also, in Daybreak, after playing it a lot, a couple of things are obvious to me (a lot more damage tokens, a lot more enemy ships [and as a result more damaged vipers as well], and humans can go down fast if they don't pay attention). With that said, Tyrol does not have the most useless abilities in my opinion. In fact, playing him yesterday, I really wondered if he was the strongest out of all of them. He's got such a protector from going to the Brig with his 'Labor Union Strike,' as well as getting rid of those Damage Tokens.

Now I know from the looks of the slight new rule changes, it doesn't seem like the game has changed much, but to me, it really has. I'd like to see what you'd think if you actually played it, and still felt the same way. You very well could feel the same way, but I'd just like to see. Maybe it could be fun! Or maybe I'm trying to get you to play .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
You could change the jump coordinates cards so that instead of the numbers at the bottom stating how many resources the humans lose each jump, they state how much of each resource the humans must still have at that point in the game in order to continue (otherwise they lose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That seems like a good idea Chris. I'm going to look into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I must agree that losing Res. Like that with every jump seems rather... Odd. While I see the point that you could get resources back with the extra time, the chances of that happening are slim. It also breaks theme a bit, or, at least, it abstracts the game a lot more. With the original cards, I could understand how jumping far could lose fuel, or how you could gain Res. by stopping at a planet or base, but with this, you're jumping into predetermined situations rather than places, and there's nothing you can do to stop those scenarioes. It would irk me if I knew that every time we got to card X, Y would happen, no matter what my team did, we couldn't increase or decrease the damage.

It also makes me think that there will be times when the Cylons will WANT Galactica to jump soon, in order to cause more damage. That just seems odd to me.

"Quickly! We must make them escape our ambush so that their morale will fall too low!"
"Quickly, We must make the Humans jump closer to their goal so that their food will run out, because apparently they throw a HUGE feast every time they jump!" (I know that the food loss represents the gradual loss due to consumption, but since it happens all at once when the team jumps, it just seems rather funny. I've always viewed most of the various resources as the surplus that the fleet holds. 0 pop doesn't mean that all of humanity is dead, it just means there's not enough people left for a stable population. 1 food is the bare minimum they need to continue, while 0 is not enough to reach Kobol, same with fuel.)

Also, the fact that there's only the 4 cards means that you always know what's next, and can plan around it despite the fact that the characters couldn't. I think having, maybe, 8 or 12 would help solve that problem, too.

Also, quick question... Chief's strike 'ability' seems far too much like a drawback to me. If he's a Human, it means that, if he gets brigged, the Humans suffer twice as much and, if he's cylon, the Humans suffer for brigging him anyway. I mean, yes, it keeps him from being brigged as much, but it's certainly to the Cylon's advantage if he gets brigged, no matter what team he's on.

Also, what happens if a Human gets vented before the sleeper phase? On that note, when IS the sleeper phase? Is there still one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:

It also makes me think that there will be times when the Cylons will WANT Galactica to jump soon, in order to cause more damage. That just seems odd to me.

I don't think your reasoning is correct. The resource loss is part of the jump, which is mandatory if the humans want to win. The Humans would face that anyway. What the Cylons want it to prolong the time before the jump, maximizing the fleet's exposure to Crisis cards that drain additional resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Yes. That is my reasoning as well. So then it would therefore be like the original version in that regard. Make humans lose resources as much as you can,and don't let them jump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
Nessmk2 wrote:

I don't think your reasoning is correct. The resource loss is part of the jump, which is mandatory if the humans want to win. The Humans would face that anyway. What the Cylons want it to prolong the time before the jump, maximizing the fleet's exposure to Crisis cards that drain additional resources.

I think he means if the resource drops low enough it's good to make them jump before they can get it back up again. It's not likely to happen often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly what I meant, Cameron. In Vanilla BSG, the only time a cylon will ever want a quick jump is to cost 3 pop on an (un) lucky forced jump, which is a double-edged sword (As it likely reveals the cylon in question, unless he is QUITE the liar, or the situation was bad to begin with). In this, if the res. ever dip below what the next jump will cost, any unrevealed cylon can just hit the big red jump button and win. While rare, yes, I don't think it'd be any more rare than a cylon managing to drop a 'pre-lowered' res. to zero in one turn, and it would certainly break the theme a bit more to have a jump be the undoing of the fleet because of a loss of morale or food. Fuel, yes, population, yes, but not morale or food.

In Vanilla, the Humans sometimes had the agonizing decision to jump and risk losing the game on running out of fuel from a bad draw, or risk staying and losing some res. in a battle. This removes that uncertantiy and allows for some odd OOC planning through knowing every future jump 'event'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ah - I see what you mean now. Sorry I didn't get it at first. I guess, in terms of Jump Coordinates, that could be one of the 'so-called' negatives in the game for Humans. Perhaps I'll start looking into the idea of adding more Jump Coordinates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Popst
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey all. Just letting you know that I did another update (v1.2) and its now on the first post to download.

I addressed better wordings for Character Cards, changed Athena's 'Computer Virus' ability to match what some people have suggested, added a FAQ and Update Log section, and a few little other things. So check it out.

Also, again, thanks for all the critiques and kind words. The goal is to make the expansion better and I will keep aiming to do that. Also know that the expansion isn't completely done. We are constantly trying to find ways to reach our goal - which to make a more intense, faster, and slightly shorter gameplay. So we have some things in the works already [some pretty big things], but as always, your comments are welcome and encouraged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.