Subject: BGG Con - Anyone Interested in a CC:E Tournament? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to BGG Con 2009. I was thinking that it'd be fun to run a Combat Commander: Europe Tournament.

Here's some of the details

1. I would supply the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place prizes. Subject to modification at the time a geeklist would be posted, the prizes would be: 1st Place - $25 Cash. 2nd Place - $15 Cash. 3rd Place - $10 Cash. 4th Place - $5. I may see if GMT would like to toss out a couple door prizes, but I'm not making any assumptions about that.

2. The entry fee, tournament rules, initial pairings, and discussion would be handled via a geeklist and cost 5GG to enter the tournament. This is my "payment" for organizing and running the thing. It would also help to insure that we have sincere competitors.

3. The tournament would be either a double- or single-elimination format depending upon interest.

4. Initial pairings would be assigned randomly, with players to play their first game sometime after lunch on the first day of the Con. Times for later rounds would be determined at the conclusion of the first round.

5. The tournament would depend on players being willing to bring copies of the game. I would bring mine, the library would probably have one, and after that, it would be a team effort.

6. I have sent a geekmail to Aldie to make sure that he would be okay with me running a tournament at the con. His decision (or his designee's decision) is, of course, final. My primary concern is that BGG con is about open gaming, and I don't want to ruin Aldie's and BGG's vibe. If Aldie thinks that a tournament would do that, I respect his decision, since the organizers have done a great job in the past at preserving the open friendly feel of the con.

7. As referee and the guy doling out the money, I would reserve the right to disqualify players from the tournament for unsportsmanlike conduct, delay of game, etc.

My question is, would any one be willing to play? If there's enough interest, I'll start setting something up as soon as I hear from Aldie. If there isn't, I can let Aldie know it's a moot issue.

Cheers.

Chris Montgomery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
This is going to be my first BGG.Con (and my first con ever, at that), so I'm tentatively interested, but it would really depend on how much time I'd have to commit - part of my reason for going to BGG.Con is to play as many games, preferably wargames, as I can.

Of course, I'd love to get some CC:E games in on general principle, so if there's no tourney I'd still like to meet some folks who want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
This is going to be my first BGG.Con (and my first con ever, at that), so I'm tentatively interested, but it would really depend on how much time I'd have to commit - part of my reason for going to BGG.Con is to play as many games, preferably wargames, as I can.

Of course, I'd love to get some CC:E games in on general principle, so if there's no tourney I'd still like to meet some folks who want to play.

Right around mid September or early October, someone usually starts a geeklist for wargamers so that wargamers going to BGG can find opponents and schedule games prior to the con. The one from last year is here, if you want to get an idea: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35271

Cheers.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmb
I potentially may be interested. I would be all over a ASL or ASL: SK one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cscottk wrote:
I potentially may be interested. I would be all over a ASL or ASL: SK one though.

For ASL or ASL:SK, someone else would have to run it, since I don't have enough experience with either game. But it would be interesting.

Cheers.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably have to get and play the game first, but I am possibly interested. A tournament for Memoir '44 would seem a bit more of a fit, since it is more in style with the other games there, but this sounds interesting too!

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm open to a different game for a tournament, but the game would have to satisfy a couple criteria: (1) be a wargame (I'm a wargamer), and (2) be playable in 2 hours or less with experienced players. Otherwise, I'd play anything. I selected Combat Commander because it's a pretty straightforward game with an excellent rules set--you can literally read the rules and play the game with very little problem.

If there's other suggestions, or interest in one of the games already named, I'm absolutely up for it. Of course, the thread title would now be irrelevant.

I would only be able to run a tourney on games that I know well. I picked CC:E because I own it and I feel I could be a fair referee. The other titles, I would not be comfortable running because I don't own those games.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd certainly be interested in a CC:E tourney! Count me in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Steve. I think we played Nappy Wars and Wings of War together last year. I think we could do a tourney if we had at least four players (though it would be a mini-tourney).

Anyone else?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, we did indeed play last year. It was my brother who had the unfortunate 'gin' incident on the player aid card for Nappy Wars! lol

I'd be interested in another Nappy Wars game too, btw, minus the gin spillage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
Chris, we did indeed play last year. It was my brother who had the unfortunate 'gin' incident on the player aid card for Nappy Wars! lol

I'd be interested in another Nappy Wars game too, btw, minus the gin spillage.

Sure! I'm planning on starting up another meet-up thread in early September.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far we have 2 definites (me and Steve Duke) and 3 possibles (everyone else).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I could help with some miniatures if we do a Wings of War minis tournament.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a tournament would take the fun out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Generally speaking, scheduled events run contrary to our open gaming format. We do have a few events, but only just a few. Have you been to the convention prior..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
Generally speaking, scheduled events run contrary to our open gaming format. We do have a few events, but only just a few. Have you been to the convention prior..?

Yeah. I sent a Geekmail to Aldie about it, and didn't get a response, so I figured I'd just see if there was any geek interest in a tournament while waiting on a response from Aldie (or you, Derk) on whether this was even acceptable (see my OP, bullet 6).

I thought a small player-organized tournament might not be a big deal, but to be honest, it doesn't appear that there's any consensus, anyway.

And I didn't particularly relish trying to run the thing--just thought it might be fun.

I'll consider the issue closed at this point.

Thanks for the post, Derk!

See you at the Con in November.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I hesitated to post prior, to be honest. It's lovely that you wish to contribute, but the best way is usually just to show up and have loads of fun. Bring a copy of CC:E and teach people that wonderful, wonderful game, and I would consider your endeavor a success.

And if you wanted to buy Aldie a beer with that prize money you offered, I'm sure he wouldn't say no...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to learn, if I haven't already done so. You might be able to stake out a table and have ongoing games. Offer free food to those who play and you are sure to get a crowd!

Maybe little army men shaped gummy bears!

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
I would love to learn, if I haven't already done so. You might be able to stake out a table and have ongoing games. Offer free food to those who play and you are sure to get a crowd!

Maybe little army men shaped gummy bears!

Brad

Brad, I'd be happy to teach, if we find time at the con. Look for the wargamer meet-up list in mid-Sept or early Oct. It worked well last year for meet-ups for us wargamers.

It is usually stickied to the main BGG Con web page and linked in with all the other BGG Con pages once it's up and running, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

And hell, I'll even buy Aldie a beer.

Cheers.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
cmontgo2 wrote:
Brad, I'd be happy to teach, if we find time at the con. Look for the wargamer meet-up list in mid-Sept or early Oct. It worked well last year for meet-ups for us wargamers.

It is usually stickied to the main BGG Con web page and linked in with all the other BGG Con pages once it's up and running, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding it.

Thanks for the offer. My problem is that I don't like to plan anything, so I may have to live with a pickup game. I did say "hello" to a couple of people playing some wargame last year, so I may have met you.

I like the idea of wargames and own a few, but I also like Euros/Ameritrash better, so I am not sure how much time I will carve out for wargames.

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did attend last year and am familiar, and a fan, of the 'open gaming format'. That said, I would think that a loosely organized tournament of a game like CC, where players arrange on their own when to play, they report the results to a person or a place periodically, that is on their own schedules, would not be against the 'spirit' of open gaming.

I can't speak for you Chris, but if you did not invision a "CC Tourney starts at noon on Friday", a loose open tourney would be fine IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
I am more interested in open play of CC:E/Med & Pac, but not so much in a tournament for the game. I want to have fun, be able to try things, be daring and then laugh when it all blows up in my face. (I am also happy to teach the system to anyone who is interested and wants to try it out.)

The closest I will come to a "tournament" is perhaps finding an opponent to try the Pathfinder campaign from C3i or the Stalingrad campaign from that battlepack.....a series of games with a single opponent to see how we did over a series of scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
I did attend last year and am familiar, and a fan, of the 'open gaming format'. That said, I would think that a loosely organized tournament of a game like CC, where players arrange on their own when to play, they report the results to a person or a place periodically, that is on their own schedules, would not be against the 'spirit' of open gaming.

I can't speak for you Chris, but if you did not invision a "CC Tourney starts at noon on Friday", a loose open tourney would be fine IMO.

While I really like the idea of a tournament, I think Derk's post was as polite as possible in asking that we not have one. I intend to honor that. The spirit of the con is about open gaming, and safeguarding that theme is important (and one which I agree with). So, while I might enjoy a CC:E tournament, it won't be happening at BBG Con, at least not one organized by me. There are plenty of other cons where tournaments like that can be played.

Still, we gotta get in a few games this year, Steve. Either a repeat of Nappy Wars, or something similar. Was great fun, and you and your brother were a class act despite getting hit with four foreign wars as England in the first turn of Nappy Wars.

See you there.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrews777 wrote:
cmontgo2 wrote:

Thanks for the offer. My problem is that I don't like to plan anything, so I may have to live with a pickup game. I did say "hello" to a couple of people playing some wargame last year, so I may have met you.

I like the idea of wargames and own a few, but I also like Euros/Ameritrash better, so I am not sure how much time I will carve out for wargames.

Brad

My pleasure, all the same. I'm always trying to recruit for wargames. Their reputation as these stodgy, inflexible games where the rules are essentially opaque is simply not true. Those games exist for a specific niche (and it's a niche I play quite a bit of), but there are plenty of Euroey and Ameritrashy wargames out there that have easily digestible rules. CC:E is one of them. As well as Conflict of Heroes (Euroey) and Tide of Iron (Ameritrashy). Just to name a few. The rules to any of those games can be learned in under a 1/2 hour if you have a teacher.

Cheers.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are really interested in this and can bring a few copies (even 1 of each game) it would be a great way to get other people interested. I rarely plan what I am going to play, but it would be easy to fall into a game if it was readily available with someone to teach it!

Brad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.