Subject: First Player Penalty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Diamond
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
I understand why the "first player penalty" prevents the first player from committing to any stories during his first turn, but I don't understand why the first player is only allowed to draw one card during his draw phase. That seems like a major disadvantage. What is the advantage of going first that requires such a harsh penalty?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess it's to even out the average distribution of the cards drawn. For example; player A draws 1, then B draws 2, A now draws 2 more (so has drawn 3), B then draws 2 more (4 in total so far)...and so on. The pattern is that during your turn, you're +1 card up on your opponent [assuming all other things are equal]

Then again it could be goo mucking about with the turn sequence....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, its not enough of a penalty in the long run. This is a typical newbie mistake, to think you should go second in order to get the extra card. In reality, you have a LOT more tempo advantage by going first.

For instance, the first time you get to take your story phase, you've had two turns in which to lay down characters, while your opponent has only had one. In fact, you have a +1 resource advantage against your opponent for the whole game (at least on your turn).

There's more, but that's the gist of it. Really, going first is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrich Hergl
Germany
Riemerling
flag msg tools
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
badge
I give demos for the Star Wars LCG in Munich
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
This is a typical newbie mistake, to think you should go second in order to get the extra card.

Thanks for the insight. This is how I was thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Green
msg tools
Dragging up an old post here.

Chris,

Do you have any recommendations to balance out the first player penalty then from your many plays?

Thanks,

Tom/Doc4
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portland-OR/Portland-Gamers/20...
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Gliber

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.