Subject: So, What Did I Get Myself Into? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a bag full of DVD's I'd picked up at different places when I would find them for a buck or in a buy one get one sale. I'd watch them once and then toss them in the bag and into my closet went the bag.

While cleaning today I found it after it sitting in there for over a year, I was about to throw them out when I remembered I could trade them in at Hastings. So I go and trade them for $72 in credit.

Now I'm looking around the store, nothing is catching my eye until I remember my brother saying he wanted to play some D&D. I grab the basic set and turn around. Then I saw it.

Munchkin Cthulhu and both expansions.

I figured it was found money and picked all three up. Now I pose a question for the brave souls who have tread this path...

What the hell am I in for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very painful experience, similar to that of sitting through Spielberg's A.I. You will find yourself so bored and annoyed that ripping your arm off and beating yourself to death will seem like entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
opks22 wrote:
A very painful experience, similar to that of sitting through Spielberg's A.I. You will find yourself so bored and annoyed that ripping your arm off and beating yourself to death will seem like entertainment.

So it's like having to play Agricola?cry

(Sorry, bad joke I know. I just played Agricola a couple of times and it was the one game I just can't get into. I guess not everything is for everyone)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as they say, different strokes for different folks. Some people (like me) hate Munchkin and enjoy Agricola and others of its ilk, some are the exact opposite. Then there are the wargamers, but we won't talk about them. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one of the things about this hobby that makes it more enjoyable than video games for me. There are so many options to the kinds of games you can get.

If you want an auction, war, abstract, puzzle, rpg, whatever kind of game you want, there's bound to be a dozen you haven't even heard of.

In video games, it's all about what's popular at the moment, either FPS, Music, RPG's. You really don't have as big of a selection as you think.

Plus with board games, you never have to worry about upgrading your system to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RowdyRodimus wrote:
Plus with board games, you never have to worry about upgrading your system to play it.

Except the size of your table.ninja

Imagine if PC gaming signatures (with the bragging about size and number of graphics cards, memory and hard drives were translated to boardgaming).

batdog

[Table: oak, two inches thick, with extra drawer, size - Railroad Tycoon plus Arkham Horror (and all expansions) plus Agricola plus Twilight Struggle, cooled by table fan and beer]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin can be fun, if played with the right people in the right mood. Once you know the cards it is not as fun anymore, but the first few times you usually get a few good laughs out of it. Play with people who like "take that" elements and, if you are so inclined, combine with alcoholic beverages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
Munchkin can be fun, if played with the right people in the right mood. Once you know the cards it is not as fun anymore, but the first few times you usually get a few good laughs out of it. Play with people who like "take that" elements and, if you are so inclined, combine with alcoholic beverages.

I think the percfet game to combine with alcoholic beverages is The Red Dragon Inn, no doubt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opks22 wrote:
Well, as they say, different strokes for different folks. Some people (like me) hate Munchkin and enjoy Agricola and others of its ilk, some are the exact opposite.

Yeah I hate both personally...

To each their own, and I really do think that Munchkin really appeals to game groups who appreciate a lot of "gaming" humor and are big sci-fi/fantasy fans. It takes a wacky sense of humor for games like that and Killer Bunnies and the Quest for the Magic Carrot not to feel a bit dry. I know people who ADORE Munchkin and notice it really appeals mostly to the RPG crowd more than anything. But, it's still the closest thing to a "good" party game many proper nerds will ever have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin is a fun beer and pretzels game. Since you are a D&D player, you'll probably get the in-jokes, and find it entertaining. However, it isn't a week-in-week-out kind of game, but best for when you are short of a few players for your regular game, or to play while at the RAM waiting for your food at GenCon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like "take that" card games and enjoy SJG's style of humour, then you could be in for a fun night or three (and since you picked up Munchkin Cthulhu, I'm hoping you're into H.P. Lovecraft or at least the Call of Cthulhu RPG). Munchkin gets a bad reputation that is, at times, deserved, but I think its sales numbers speak to its popularity among gamers.

The game continues to sell, so it seems obvious to me that a lot of people are getting a kick out of it.

I enjoy the Munchkin games once in awhile, and although it can drag on a bit too long at times (nothing stopping you from just calling it when everyone has had enough, though; who wins in Munchkin really doesn't matter), I've yet to experience the three-hour horror show that some people tell stories of.

So you may be in for some fun, and you may be in for a card game you'll hate.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
Once you know the cards it is not as fun anymore, but the first few times you usually get a few good laughs out of it. Play with people who like "take that" elements and, if you are so inclined, combine with alcoholic beverages. :)

I agree with this statement mostly, if you remove the word few in between first and times, I would agree fully. I also know that there are those who love the game and that is great, there is something for everyone in board gaming.:D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
RowdyRodimus wrote:

Except the size of your table.ninja

Imagine if PC gaming signatures (with the bragging about size and number of graphics cards, memory and hard drives were translated to boardgaming).

batdog

[Table: oak, two inches thick, with extra drawer, size - Railroad Tycoon plus Arkham Horror (and all expansions) plus Agricola plus Twilight Struggle, cooled by table fan and beer]
Well, in all fairness, some people put PC specs in their signature so that if they're seeking tech support from fellow members, others can look at that and know what they need to to troubleshoot problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were introduced to Munchkin and we had a great time! Very soon after that, we had picked up the basic card set and most of the expansions.

As noted before, RPGers will get more of a kick out of it due to the many, many RPG puns (some I LOLed).

Ultimately, you have your own tastes and preferences, so you'll just have to give it a try and see what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Any game can be fun, given the right audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Forsythe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin can be painful after the novelty of the puns wears off. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of introducing my kids to it and they can't get enough. I hope to introduce Cutthroat Caverns to take its place soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.