Ryan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Buying" rules state that:

Quote:
No "played" card may be of the same or a higher set than the card being bought.

I'm taking this to mean that if I want to buy a TRI card, I can't use any TRI cards to purchase it. In essence, I can't play a Red TRI and a Green Commons to purchase the topmost Orange TRI.

My guess is that this rule is in place so that you can't cycle through a set. Referring back to my example, this rule will stop players from buying TRI cards until they find their Wild card or collect a matching bonus set.

Am I reading this rule correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
niennunb wrote:
The "Buying" rules state that:

Quote:
No "played" card may be of the same or a higher set than the card being bought.

I'm taking this to mean that if I want to buy a TRI card, I can't use any TRI cards to purchase it. In essence, I can't play a Red TRI and a Green Commons to purchase the topmost Orange TRI.

My guess is that this rule is in place so that you can't cycle through a set. Referring back to my example, this rule will stop players from buying TRI cards until they find their Wild card or collect a matching bonus set.

Am I reading this rule correctly?

I don't recall that rule. If it's in my edition (and why wouldn't it), that changes one of our key strategies (cycling with a tri plus junk low card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rules don't have such a restriction, as far as I can find. The Buying section specifies "any two or more cards with a total point value equal to or greater than the value of the card being bought." This is from the 3M rulesheet, copyright 1969.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
My 1970 rules explicitly (well, parenthetically) state :

"(No "played" card may be of the same or a higher set than the card being bought.)"

Seems an obvious restriction, as unlimited stack churning defeats the whole goal of the game, which is stack management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an extremely important rule. We played it wrong the first few times, and the game absolutely sucked when you could just cycle the cards.

Totally different game when you can only buy with lesser cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
The number of replies in this thread is a bit surprising. Didn't realize Monad was still enjoying play out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey man, we're up to 40 total plays: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/playstats/thing/1520

Holy crap, that's me on top with 7? Wasn't expecting that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder whether this rule was an amendment after the original release. It sounds like a good idea to me, since I always thought there was something wrong with the game play, using my original ruleset.

Haven't played this game for decades, but I might get it out again, and use this restriction.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I wasn't sure if I was going to get any responses!

Oh, and garygarison, your review is what prompted me to ebay a copy. I can't wait to play it this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
My personal comments, you mean? Cause Randy Cox is the only one that's done a proper Monad review. An impressive one at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
My 1970 rules explicitly (well, parenthetically) state :

"(No "played" card may be of the same or a higher set than the card being bought.)"

Seems an obvious restriction, as unlimited stack churning defeats the whole goal of the game, which is stack management.

But remember, it's not unlimited because you always spend that extra card (the restriction of "any two or more cards"). You may keep using your original "tri" and the one you pick up, but you're always adding an extra card to that purchase which is rapidly depleting your hand.

With the restriction, I fear that an already long game might drag on even longer. And that's not a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Wouldn't this make the commons no longer common, but rather very fine? Remember, a preliminary buy qualifies one for a leap, a very powerful move. But if a buy can be accomplished with the cost of just one card (a single common, because the other spent card is replaced with an equivalent), leaping becomes much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison,

Sorry about the mix-up.

I guess my brain overlapped your avatar with Randy's awesome review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to play Monad eventually.

I also have "Venture" and "Bazaar" still unplayed, and have yet to properly play "Sleuth" (tried, but the artwork on the F2F edition is too obfuscatory for my brain.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Venture is good too. This proxy card variant for 2-player we came up with seems to improve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.