Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phyll
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Lo6 3p - Jeff, Mal and me. I think it's a good game and enjoyed it. I think it would be better with 4 (or 5), but it was good. Rules (I'd only read them once about a week ago and had started refreshing before Mal arrived) took about 15-20 minutes, but now we've played it should be a sub-10 min splanation.

Game is divided into 6 turns. On your turn you each follow a kinda Amun-Re style bidding thing to see which of the 3 towns you will be taxing each turn (there are 6 towns on the board, but each turn only 3 - or rather - the number of players playing the game - in this case 3 - are open for tax time - random each turn)

Each of the towns has various combinations of goods and other things that can be selected, and a funky hex-tile which you can place in various orientations to give different combos of the potential goods etc available for selection.

You then deliver the goods to the 'court' for straight out VP's, or to the 'civic leaders' for less VP but influence in with them that will help you at the end of the game (3 different types of leaders, majority scores most points at endgame etc).

There's a funky mechanic here which I won't go in to, but which means you can kinda screw your opponents, so it's important to get there first for this reason. In order to get there 1st however, you would've chosen to take more horses (for faster delivery) at the town-taxing time which means you'll have less goods to deliver.

You do that 6 times over and the game is done.

The first 3 turns took us probably 40 minutes, getting our heads around it etc. Then Carty came, and we decided to power on and finish the game. Now we had the hang of it the last 3 turns pretty much flew by and probably took us less than 20 minutes, which makes me surprisingly confident that you could get through it in the 60min play time as stated on the box. Which for me hits a really sweet spot like Through the Desert, Yspahan (any game w Camels?) and that style with a nice amount of Meaningful Decisions and a good punch for a short play time.

It appeared that going for the 'Civic leaders' probably wasn't going to be worthwhile - espec with 3 players. I decided to have a crack at it anyway to see how it panned out and only realised that Mal did the same towards the end and kinda gazzumped me, or rather we gazzumped each other.

Final scores where something like J 70, P 62, M 60 or thereabouts. Which upon reflection perhaps means that it wasn't as unbalanced as we thought, Mal stripped 4 points off me in the last turn effectively and I think he gave Jeff a few freebies along the way (which is just the way it can sorta work out) which would've made it that much closer for the podium finish. If I'd noticed what Mal was doing at the end, I could've made my last couple of deliveries for straight bonus VP's which would've put me pretty much on par with Jeff, so in effect I think the Civic leaders aren't "bad" but you wanna try and score them as efficiently as possible. Of course there were all a whole lot of things everyone could have done better, I'm not saying "I think I should have won and I was cheated I just happened to not score the most but really I'm the best player" I'm just saying that I don't think it IS actually unbalanced between the 'court'/'civic leader' scoring, and any unbalance I think would be reduced in a 4p or 5p game. Of course Jeff had his silvertongue in Mal's ear the whole time which is the REAL reason I didn't win

In all, I think a very good game and if it turns out like I hope that it can be belted out in an hour or less, then it'll be excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was fun with three but I also have been wanting to try it with four or five. It seems likes the guard/auction mechanism would work best with more than three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Murmak
Czech Republic
Kladno
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Codenames ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
sedge wrote:
In all, I think a very good game and if it turns out like I hope that it can be belted out in an hour or less, then it'll be excellent.

I normally play this game within one hour in 4p and some times even with 5p. If you liked it I will recommend you to try expansion. With it it's much better game (at least for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.