Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I have begun work on a map to replace the existing one, for use with Vassal. Will need playtesters in the near future to ensure we don't radically alter balance of the scenarios. I'm especially worried about Russia as they indulged a bit of fancy over there.

Core structure is in place. Should have a test map within a week or two.

Main points to be changed:
1. Correct the 40 degree tilt of the original
2. Correct the most egregious of errors such as the magic river of Kiev
3. Update the artwork from the ground up, while retaining the same Terrain Types (no change to the engine core)
4. Incorporate the Lloyd's of London variant in to the map, so players can travel the oceans and seas of the world. This expands the Naval game, which works well with the 3rd Edition Naval Rules (Official).

You can follow the effort in greater detail at ConSimWorld. Please post in here if you have thoughts, opinions, and/or want to playtest. Also feel free to contact me.

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New map for War and Peace (AH) is under development. Playtest is ready for Scenario I, Austerlitz. A second module is available for download, now, that contains the new work.

Players should visit VassalEngine.org to download the module.

Happy 4th of July!

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Official Beta has been released.

You can follow the discussion over at ConSimWorld if interested.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@219.pgGHfFMGiDb.394@.ee6...

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John, will you be also making a version of the same map for downloading so that we can print up a new map for our boardgames? In other words, will a hard copy be possible?

JokerRulez wrote:
FYI, I have begun work on a map to replace the existing one, for use with Vassal. Will need playtesters in the near future to ensure we don't radically alter balance of the scenarios. I'm especially worried about Russia as they indulged a bit of fancy over there.

Core structure is in place. Should have a test map within a week or two.

Main points to be changed:
1. Correct the 40 degree tilt of the original
2. Correct the most egregious of errors such as the magic river of Kiev
3. Update the artwork from the ground up, while retaining the same Terrain Types (no change to the engine core)
4. Incorporate the Lloyd's of London variant in to the map, so players can travel the oceans and seas of the world. This expands the Naval game, which works well with the 3rd Edition Naval Rules (Official).

You can follow the effort in greater detail at ConSimWorld. Please post in here if you have thoughts, opinions, and/or want to playtest. Also feel free to contact me.

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Martinez
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

John - As a long time fan of the game, I have to say this map is a real work of Art. Your hard work is definitely our gain. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pendrgn11 wrote:

Your hard work is definitely our gain. Well done.

Yes, well done John. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the kind words everyone.

I'll be working to put this new map in to Vassal shortly. Will notify everyone when it is ready.

Meanwhile, the artist is hard at work on the textures for the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

I have taken the Official Beta of the new map and added it to the VASSAL module. Has been posted to the Vassal web site:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php

Artist is hard at work on the textures for the map. The game is ready for extensive playtesting.

I would say the VASSAL module is in alpha form now. Lot's of work to do on that, but it is quite playable.

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again,

New version of the map has been posted to VASSAL. Artist is about to finalize the textures. I sent a list of minor issues to correct (mispelling here and there).

Have a good look. We won't revisit this map for a year or so, until people have really had time to give it a run. Speak now or forever hold your peace (for at least a year anyway).

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again,

New version of the VASSAL module has been posted to their site. Primary focus of this update was the functionality of the module itself. Lots of things happen behind the scenes for the maps in these modules and it had to be updated for this new map. Should play quite well now.

Comments are welcome.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a million, this is just what this game needed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are quite welcome sir, and thank you for the comment.

I agree completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost all work is complete. Textures have been added for mountains, forests, swamps, and rivers. Some cleaning up to do but this is pretty much it.

Please visit the following: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

You will see a screenshot of the Waterloo setup using the new map.

VASSAL module has been updated with the new map.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JokerRulez wrote:
Almost all work is complete. Textures have been added for mountains, forests, swamps, and rivers. Some cleaning up to do but this is pretty much it.

Please visit the following: http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

You will see a screenshot of the Waterloo setup using the new map.

VASSAL module has been updated with the new map.

--JokerRulez

John, it all looks really nice. Great Job!! I almost want to make start playing with the VASSAL stuff. But still no network at home, so that makes it hard I guess. And work always gets in the way at work

I know its a long way away, but when the game goes to print with all the new stuff (map, 3rd ed rules, etc.) put me down for two copies. I wouldn't change the counters though. The counters always had that good look to them. Only thing better would be to use plastic figures somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New map is complete.

I've submitted it here and it should be available shortly. VASSAL has been updated with this new map. Ready to play. Also, we have a volunteer to make a CyberBoard version of the game, with the new map. Keep an eye out for that in the coming months.

For the best quality copy, at the moment, go here:
http://www.4shared.com/file/126008482/601ed03/WaP_Map_Third_...
Be sure to click on the 'Download Now' button. That image displayed there doesn't really exist.

Hope you all like it.

--JokerRulez

PS I'm going to have an ultra-high quality copy for myself. Might be able to print that out and send if anyone is interested. Email me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New map is now available for printing. Yeap, the hard-copy many of you wanted for this. I've uploaded it to the VASSAL site:

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

I've created a PDF of the image that divides it up as you like. For normal letter paper it will take 24 pages of printing. I've also sized it just right for 'Oversize AO' paper type, a standard large-size printing. Places like Fedex Copy Centers (previously Kinko's Copy) will accept PDF's for printing so this should work (should).

I have one condition and one condition only: I want photos of you people playing on the new map.

gulp

--JokerRulez
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Leoben, in Austria, is misspelled as "Leobon". Will put together a list for version 1.1 later this year.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JokerRulez wrote:
City of Leoben, in Austria, is misspelled as "Leobon". Will put together a list for version 1.1 later this year.

--JokerRulez

I won't hold it against you John

Anyway, great work!! I just downloaded the map a few moments ago and had a quick look. Now I gotta find the phone book and look up a place were I can get it printed out. But its hard for me to read Thai still. I will send you a message if I find any mistakes so you can add to the list.

Again, great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm doing an AAR of Scenario XII: Marengo 1800 over on ConSimWorld. This one is following the Third Edition (New Map and Rulebook).

Hope you all enjoy it:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd42896/0

--JokerRulez

PS I've updated VASSAL with map version 1.1 that fixes all known issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the VASSAL site for the latest files. Includes a PDF for printing, and a new version of the Third Edition Rulebook (ver 3.1) specifically for the new map.

--JokerRulez

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JokerRulez wrote:
Go to the VASSAL site for the latest files. Includes a PDF for printing, and a new version of the Third Edition Rulebook (ver 3.1) specifically for the new map.

--JokerRulez

For those that are not VASSAL users, is there a direct link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gant
United States
Wakefield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just above your head, about 4 posts up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JokerRulez wrote:
Just above your head, about 4 posts up.

I'm on it.

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_v...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.