Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to incorpotate a trick taking element into a game, but I haven't played too many trick taking card games. I found a list of old card games here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trick-taking_games

Can anyone recommend to me a game (one of those games perhaps) that has a very simple mechanic that I might try using. I'm looking for something with 4-5 suits, a range of values less than a standard deck of cards (not 1-10 plus face cards), and most importantly, something that can be played very quickly.

Any ideas on the most simple of trick taking mechanics?

Just because I know someone is bound to ask...I'm untimately looking for something in which players would win tricks and move their marker along a racetrack for each trick won. Something similar to Canyon, but in less time. The key is that is needs to be played quickly because the trick taking is just a minor aspect to a larger game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euchre is a trick taking game, 9-10-Q-K-A-J-J.

Would War qualify as the simplest of trick taking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping it as simple as possible, surely Whist or Bridge is your best option.

Leader plays a card, highest card of that suit wins. Unless someone trumps it, if you want to add a suit as "trump".

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Euchre immediately springs to mind. 4 suits, 6ish (local variants fluctuate deck composition) cards per suit, 5 cards per player per hand, simple-fast 'bidding'... each hand often plays out in literally less than one minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyssa M
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was also going to suggest Euchre. Very fast, and only uses 24 cards (4 end up buried).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks! This makes it a lot easier to me to narrow down what I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, another question I should ask...I need this trick taking mechanic to be suitable with a differing # of players. Most trick taking games seem to cater to 4 players, but I'm looking for a range. 3-6 players probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Pinochle would satisfy your stated needs as well. There are rules for 2-8 players and partner play as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitch plays a range of players. The game entry says 4, but I believe it plays up to six. It does have the full range of values (Ace through 2), but you only deal out part of the deck.

I would actually try Setback (external link) instead, which, as far as I can tell, is a variant of Pitch.

Bridge is not simple. Euchre is designed for four, but I think it's a good game to get yourself comfortable with trick-taking mechanics. There's also Spades, which is the most basic version of a trick-taking game with trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
6-hand Euchre isn't uncommon. I know when I was growing up near Ottawa, a 6 hand euchre with three jokers and no buried cards was commonplace. Played just about as fast as traditional 4-hand Euchre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Whist. It is a pretty basic trick-taking game. It is playable for just about any number of people. It is a full deck game -- but that can easily be shrunk. Progressive Whist is a variant where the number of cards in each hand varies, starting with 1 each and then going up until all cards are dealt.

In fact, you may want to play with something like that -- a reduced-sized deck and not all cards are dealt out. The fact that not all cards are in play will reduce the usefulness (and therefor the need) for card-counting and hopefully make things play more quickly.

Most trick-taking games tend to have the idea of trump, but another simplification is to ignore that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
evan fitzgerald
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheepshead - just ignore the crazy power ordering of cards.

Can play variants with 2,3,4,5 or 6 (one sits out).

The key is 32 cards with the rules setup for a blind. It's a random partner game (i.e. you don't know your partner until a certain card is played) and the blind means that people don't work with perfect variation.

I would also recommend Bid Euchre if you want to incorporate bidding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
OK, another question I should ask...I need this trick taking mechanic to be suitable with a differing # of players. Most trick taking games seem to cater to 4 players, but I'm looking for a range. 3-6 players probably.

Check out Wizard...it plays 3 to 6...I really enjoy trick-taking games and this is one of my favorites...

A couple of others that handle up to 6 or more players are David & Goliath and Sticheln...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The mechanics of trick-taking games are not very difficult.
* Everyone plays a card, the person who played the highest card, wins.
* Usually cards are played in order; that is, one player starts (leads a card), the rest have to follow - in that suit.
* Some trick-taking cards have trumps. Usually these trumps can only be played if the player has no more cards of the suit that was led. Trumps are higher than other cards.

The mechanics of most trick-taking games are simple. The fun comes in guessing which card to play, and that has to do with guessing what the others have in their hands. But this guessing takes most time, and that may divert from the other parts of your game.

May I make a few suggestions?
* Don't use suits or trumps. That makes card play simpler.
* If you do that, you can complicate the cards in ways that have to do with the other aspects of your game. For instance, put two values on the card; movement points and trick points. The cards with most trick points have fewest movement points and vice versa. So if you win the trick with a high card, you don't move very far.
* Or give the cards symbols that have to do with the board - put those same symbols on the board. If a player plays a card with symbols that are the same as where he is standing, that card gets a bonus. So a card with value 9 can get a +3 bonus for having the right symbol, and so win from cards with value 10 and 11. The value of the hand will thus shift constantly as you're moving over the board, and you have to think about where you want to move to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.