Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just got the game a week ago and going to play it tomorrow for the first time. I have read the manual a few times and have tested out different situations on the map. However... I still have some very basic questions whistle

*If a deffending player (attacked by infantry) doesnt have any deffending pieces in a defence approach, only in defence reserve, does the attacking infantry gets a -1 penalty?

*same situation as abowe...does the penalty (marked on the map) in the defence approach apply?

The way I see it the units in reserve are... well in reserve, smooking tobaco and drinking coffe cool so they are not prepared to deffend and becouse of that the panaltys shoudnt apply here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hopkins
England
Durham/Darlington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I'm on my mobile so I can't cut and paste but the answer you're looking for is in step 6 of the attack rules, 2nd and 3rd bullet points. Basically if the defending units are in reserve you don't subtract the penalties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cavalry obstruction applies regardless of the defender's position. The other penalties do not have any effect unless the defender occupies the approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, i get it.

I understand that if the attack is narrow you can attack with only one unit, but if the deffender counterattack, he can chose to do it with 2 units if they are the same type and come from the same corps, right? (rule 7)

So basicly if 2 corps are fighting against each other in narrow approach the deffender can counterattack and overrun the attacker this way? the attacker will in this case get the attacking unit probably destroyd without the other units in the attacking corps beaing able to react/engage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Im sorry that my questions are probably very basic, but I need some more information.

1.I noticed on some pictures that 2 detached units can deffend the same approch. But they still work as independent units, right? I mean they dont move as corps units.

2. When the deffender with a corps retreats from the attack, all the units get detached even if the retrat is before combat?

3. When the deffender with a corps retreats from the attack and all the units get detached... he can than chose to which locale he wants to reatreat all his detached units. He can chose to reatret all the units and the commander to the same locale and than in next turn attach all the units again to the commander/make a new corps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
Im sorry that my questions are probably very basic, but I need some more information.

1.I noticed on some pictures that 2 detached units can deffend the same approch. But they still work as independent units, right? I mean they dont move as corps units.

Correct.
Quote:

2. When the deffender with a corps retreats from the attack, all the units get detached even if the retrat is before combat?

Almost correct. Technically, ONE unit still makes up the corps with the commander. All other units are detached.

Quote:

3. When the deffender with a corps retreats from the attack and all the units get detached... he can than chose to which locale he wants to reatreat all his detached units. He can chose to reatret all the units and the commander to the same locale and than in next turn attach all the units again to the commander/make a new corps?

NOT correct. A Corps Attach command only attaches ONE unit to the corps. It takes several turns to get them back into a corps together which is why losing with a corps is very bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
So basicly if 2 corps are fighting against each other in narrow approach the deffender can counterattack and overrun the attacker this way? the attacker will in this case get the attacking unit probably destroyd without the other units in the attacking corps beaing able to react/engage?

Not necessarily. All counterattacking units can do is make that specific assault fail.

If two corps are in a narrow approach, attacking units will typically use a detach command or an individual command, leaving the rest of the corps still in the approach after they are defeated.

A battle between two corps can go on for several hours before reaching a conclusion, with numerous attacks used to weaken the enemy before the final blow is struck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Im trying to learn the rules about feint and how to use it effectivly.

If I understand it right the only thing that happens in a feint is that a defender is commited to move a unit to the deffence approach. This however opens the possibilty to flank that unit. If the deffending unit is a corps the deffender can chose to detach a unit and move it to the deffence aproach and keep the rest of the corps in the deffence reserve. Am I right?

Its all about the possibility of flanking and detaching, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
If the deffending unit is a corps the deffender can chose to detach a unit and move it to the deffence aproach and keep the rest of the corps in the deffence reserve. Am I right?

That's right.

Axis7114 wrote:
Its all about the possibility of flanking and detaching, right?

Those are very important concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thx for all the replies. We played the game yesterday and had a blast. cool However I still have some basic questions.

1. Does the Guard attack takes the -1 penalty if attacking the deffended approach (like normal infantery)

2. If declaring a guard attack, can you start the attack first with artillery followed up with guard attack? if yes, does this also apply on wide approach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
1. Does the Guard attack takes the -1 penalty if attacking the deffended approach (like normal infantery)

Yes.

Axis7114 wrote:
2. If declaring a guard attack, can you start the attack first with artillery followed up with guard attack?

It is best to think of this as two separate attacks, because it would require two separate commands. But, yes, a guard attack, or any other non-artillery attack, can be made across an approach after an artillery attack has been made there.

Axis7114 wrote:
if yes, does this also apply on wide approach?

The width of the approach has no affect on this question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I understand that its 2 separate attacks.

So basicly if you have a corps with artillery in the reserve you have to detach the artillery and move it up to approach.
In the next turn you can attack first with artillery from the aproach and follow it up with attack from reserve with the units from corps (on the same approach that the artillery is attacking from).

I realy apreciate the help guys. Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
So basicly if you have a corps with artillery in the reserve you have to detach the artillery and move it up to approach.
In the next turn you can attack first with artillery from the aproach and follow it up with attack from reserve with the units from corps (on the same approach that the artillery is attacking from).

That way works. Or you could move the corps, including the artillery, to the approach with a corps move. Then, on the following turn, the artillery could detach itself and attack using a unit move (or a couple of them for two artillery in a wide approach).

At that point you could declare another attack, and decide after you see the defender's response whether to use a corps move to attack with the full corps, or attack with a single unit using either a detach move or a unit move.

And of course you'd still have the feint option. There are a wide range of tactical options available, which is one reason the game is so fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than just hinting, I've decided to spell it out more clearly.

The method I suggested, moving the corps to the approach with the artillery still attached, is in most cases going to be a better move than detaching the artillery to the approach and leaving the corps in reserve.

If the artillery are alone in the approach, your opponent may attack them, and they will have no covering units to absorb losses. Also, consider your situation if your opponent moves away. Once your artillery are detached in an approach, it is very expensive in time and commands to get them moving once again.

The main reason you would leave your corps in reserve would be to maintain flexibility to move in another direction. But if you aren't committed to an attack through that approach, you have to ask yourself why you would put your artillery there in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Axis7114 wrote:

That way works. Or you could move the corps, including the artillery, to the approach with a corps move. Then, on the following turn, the artillery could detach itself and attack using a unit move (or a couple of them for two artillery in a wide approach).

At that point you could declare another attack, and decide after you see the defender's response whether to use a corps move to attack with the full corps, or attack with a single unit using either a detach move or a unit move.

And of course you'd still have the feint option. There are a wide range of tactical options available, which is one reason the game is so fascinating.

What you saying here is that you can move the corps to approach with artillery in one turn and in next turn detach the artillery, attack with artillery (independent move) AND attack with corps? In this case the corps is preforming TWO commands. Isnt the limit one for each corps?

So you can detach/attach a unit to/from your corps and than move the corps? (as long as the attached unit didnt allready move in the same turn)

In what situations can you preform multiple commands simultaneously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
What you saying here is that you can move the corps to approach with artillery in one turn and in next turn detach the artillery, attack with artillery (independent move) AND attack with corps? In this case the corps is preforming TWO commands. Isnt the limit one for each corps?

You give an independent command to the artillery, not the corps; as part of that command, it can detach from the corps. The corps has not received a command, so it can then use a Corps Move to attack.

A Detach Move uses a corps command, so if you used a Detach Move to attack with the artillery (which you might do if you were out of independent commands), then the corps would have received a command, and could not also be issued a Corps Move that turn.

Axis7114 wrote:
So you can detach/attach a unit to/from your corps and than move the corps? (as long as the attached unit didnt allready move in the same turn)

No, an Attach is a corps command. You can use a Unit Move to move a unit to the same position as a corps, and then use an Attach corps command to attach that unit to the corps; see the "Commands" section on the left side of page 4.

EDIT: sorry, I missed the "detach" part of your question. That bit on page 4 says you can detach units, leaving them behind, when moving a corps with a Corps Move. You could then issue Unit Moves on those guys who had been left behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Do you have to play the scenario to the end (if no one is demoralized) or is it enough to capture and hold objectives for one round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
Do you have to play the scenario to the end (if no one is demoralized) or is it enough to capture and hold objectives for one round?

Demoralization ends the game immediately. The objectives only matter if you reach the end of the game and nobody has been demoralized. In other words, it would be possible to hold the objectives for several rounds and still lose due to demoralization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Vranic
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If a cavalery retreats from a reserve (not losing strenght), does the retreat lead to morale loss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis7114 wrote:
If a cavalery retreats from a reserve (not losing strenght), does the retreat lead to morale loss?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.