Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was up in Luddington area (West coast of Michigan), for a weekend of camping when I drove past the sign that read;

"Games and Yardsale"

It was odd as was but I was curious and decided to stop by. It was pretty much in middle of nowhere, just one old brick building painted white.

First thing I noticed as I walked in was about 20 D&D players, with a huge jar full of dice on the table.

There were some plastic model kits... some mugs... Pooh stuffed dolls... random things that seem to have come from Dollar General...but where are the games they speak of?

I find a case of WizKids Pirates pocketmodel, a case of Starwars Pocketmodel, 5 or so RPG books, and one Pirate's Cove still marked at $49.95. One box? That's it? In this decent sized building, there was a single box of Eurogame. Not even a single box of MtG. Some poor guy is supposedly clueless or thinks Pirate's Cove is the only worthy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually that makes some sense. To a D&D player actually. Wizards of the Coast, (WotC), has all kinds of promotional stuff available to retailers which ends up selling for decent money on e-bay. Hardcore D&D players try to get their hands on these in high quantity for their own collections and as trade and sale fodder.

But, WotC requires you have a brick and mortar retail store, (requiring pictures and federal tax ID). The rent on the place your describing is probably very low, (or non-existent if its owned), and if a group of 20+ players are most likely sharing the burden. This allows them not only a place to play, but gives them the advantage of acquiring the numerous promos from WotC and other game publishers virtually free.

Edit:
In addition they get to buy all their RPG and gaming materials at distributor prices. Which is often 50% of MSRP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wow, that is hardcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
wow, that is hardcore.

Not to mention unethical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Their "Ethics" artifact has been permanently tapped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if they actually sold stuff, they could make even more money...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
will davies
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a code of ethics for game store owners? I'm being serious, how is this unethical? If they have a tax ID and have a store, even if the saddest ever, where are the ethics?

As a lawyer I have ethical rules which are laid out that if i don't follow I lose my law license. Do game store owners have to sign something with WOTC?

Curious,
Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Minkoff
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Dum, Dum, Dum dum dum, Dum!
badge
"Money isn't everything, but it's a tie-breaker in Power Grid!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevin wrote:
AstroLad wrote:
wow, that is hardcore.

Not to mention unethical.

What exactly is unethical about what they are doing? They are renting a storefront, applied and successfully received a federal tax ID, and can probably even get their customers good deals, as they don't seem to be a profit-making venture. Where's the unethical activity? They are a store that just doesn't emphasize customer-driven sales. Instead of profit, they are lowering their personal costs for their gaming use.

While probably not the best store around, they are a store. They are also probably the majority of the buyers in their low-population, and lower income area. I find what they (supposedly, as this is just theorizing on all our parts) did as an ingenious way of letting them continue in their hobby at a lower end cost, and they are obviously satisfying their customer base (themselves).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kitfoa wrote:
Is there a code of ethics for game store owners? I'm being serious, how is this unethical? If they have a tax ID and have a store, even if the saddest ever, where are the ethics?

As a lawyer I have ethical rules which are laid out that if i don't follow I lose my law license. Do game store owners have to sign something with WOTC?

Curious,
Will

Yes, BGG users outline the applicable ethical rules and guidelines for game-store owners and game publishers and designers. These clear edicts can be found in multiple Geeklists. Among other penalties, severe GeekGold sanctions can be imposed for violations of these rules. Luckily for all concerned parties, there is 24-hour-a-day guidance available on the forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
Maybe if they actually sold stuff, they could make even more money...

If there doing this, then they are selling stuff. but using E-bay and other sites as a medium of sales. Things they can't sell online are left in the store marked up in case someone happens along to buy it.

kitfoa wrote:

Curious,
Will

Unethical? I might not go that far. But they are violating the spirit the WotC, (and any other gaming company), promos are intended for. The promos are intended to be given away by retailers to help bring business into their stores. This in turn helps build communities, which helps increase the customer base for the games, which in turn... yea, yea I know we've all heard it before.

If the group is acting as I described above, this enters into sore territory for some people who feel gaming as a whole is adversely affected by this sort of behavior.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet I travel a lot and always visit the shops that BGG'rs rate the best in the area. On more than one occasion I was greeted by a couple of racks of Settlers and Ticket To Ride type faire and a crabby old guy working the place so focused on painted his mini that he could barely look up at the only customer in the entire place (me).

I've also been driving through the middle of nowhere and found thriving Magic communities. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before judging them, with the name as it is, did you consider the area itself? You said it's in the middle of nowhere. Is the retail district around them active or fairly empty?

The reason I ask is that the cases of pocketmodels and the RPG books are a decent investment for a store with a very light customer base, and if the clientele are more likely D&D players, the investment in the RPG books is clearly the better way to go (and it's still a game). It's possible the area supports limited products and anything else would have to be special ordered.

While Astinex holds a fairly legit view, I'm more inclined to believe someone had a dream of a store and the others are helping to pitch in to help support it with the benefit of a space to play and possibly discounted materials (which would still have to be itemized and taxed as a store would). A few of the stores that were built nearby were started by people who just wanted a place to game other than someone's house, and I can't imagine it's not true in even remote areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Astinex wrote:
... this enters into sore territory for some people who feel gaming as a whole is adversely affected by this sort of behavior.

!!!

Although it just might be that these kids' hobby store could even turn into a going concern over the years (if board gaming as a whole doesn't collapse thanks to their shameful dishonesty in the meantime).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Is there a code of ethics for game store owners?

No, but this is about a so called "game store" (a facade really) that allows group of gamers to take advantage of WotC's retail business model.

Quote:
What exactly is unethical about what they are doing?

...They are a store that just doesn't emphasize customer-driven sales. Instead of profit, they are lowering their personal costs for their gaming use.

You answered your own question and why I feel their activity may be unethical. If you were the CEO of WotC, would you allow this practice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Unethical? I might not go that far.

And then you go on to write why I think this activity is unethical...

Quote:
But they are violating the spirit the WotC, (and any other gaming company), promos are intended for. The promos are intended to be given away by retailers to help bring business into their stores.

EDIT: Of course we are all speculating here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kitfoa wrote:

Curious,
Will

Since when do ethics have to be in writing, as a formal code? Just because something isn't in writing as being unethical does not mean that it is by default ethical.
This is a problem that I face on a regular basis in business. There is this unspoken code that if something is legal it is ethical and that is just not true. You can follow the letter of the law, and still be a unethical bastard.
Cheating on your girlfriend isn't illegal, but it is unethical.
And taking promotional material from W.O.T.C. with no intention of promoting the product, is unethical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it's more like 'lawful neutral' than unethical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Man, if you're that hardcore, that's AOK by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And taking promotional material from W.O.T.C. with no intention of promoting the product, is unethical.

I wouldn't consider it unethical. How ethical is it to package and market your miniatures in packages much like baseball cards. To collect a decent army of orcs, you need to purchase a dozen case loads of booster packs leaving you with hundreds of figures you'll never need! Where's the ethics for Wizards of the Coast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes. By no means I saw or intended such subject being discussed. I also do not know if they are using the store as means to obtain WotC promos.

I understand struggles small retailers go through. Trust me, I know. I own a retail store that will close at the end of the month.

Probably, like many mom-and-pop stores, its merchandise selection is based on "whatever works." I don't blame store owners trying different things and ending up with a store that seems to make no sense. Whatever works, right?

I was only amused at the fact that they had a single box of a single game. Did they sell everything or got it cheap somewhere, that's something to wonder about.

Yes, it was sad as a gamestore but it may be someone's pasttime or livelihood. I did not intend to criticize what they were doing.

And when it comes to WotC and all that... I don't think I have opinion one way or the other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I shall "GO" beyond the 'scope' of what's been promulgated so far, and declare that they're going to start UP some "meh!"~thish 'lab'!
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next thing that a lot of BGG's will say is that it's not a "game store" if it doesn't have four shelves full of Agricola and Race for the Galaxy along with an assortment of animeeples in various colors.

Maybe the owner just doesn't give a flying fuck about Euro games. I've seen "game stores" with nothing but Warhammer players and empty boxes that they were painting. They had bought the stuff from the store and were playing and painting there. Is it still a game store? Yeah it is.
Is it the kind of store Euro snobs want to visit? Nope. But you know the secret?

The guy who owns it makes enough to be happy and has a good time. That is success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james browning
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luddington and the surrounding area are great for four wheeling and other off road and nature oriented past times but from my past experience in the area (being the only person in the family uninterested in outdoor type things during family outings and being allowed to wander on my own for hours on end.) I am very surprised to hear that there is even a psudo game store there. It definitely is not the kind of place I'd guess would have any kind of a hobby shop. I have never seen this little shop during any of my travels in the area. If I had I would've spent weekends playing whatever was popular there, even if I refuse to play any of it at the gaming club back home. That would've made my time in the area awesome instead of just boring.
Next time I'm there I'll have to keep an eye out for this little shop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
schkff wrote:
Although it just might be that these kids' hobby store could even turn into a going concern over the years (if board gaming as a whole doesn't collapse thanks to their shameful dishonesty in the meantime).

Quite true, which is why it doesn’t bother me as much as it might others. After all many communities of gamers would be happy to have 20+ members.

Nevin wrote:
Quote:
Unethical? I might not go that far.

And then you go on to write why I think this activity is unethical...

I understand why you feel this is unethical, but people define unethical differently. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating the sort of behavior I’ve discussed but I’m not throwing stones either.

shininiu wrote:
Yikes. By no means I saw or intended such subject being discussed. I also do not know if they are using the store as means to obtain WotC promos.

The store may very well be completely on the up and up. It is very likely a local gamer opened the place to offer a location for locals to play and his business is almost entirely in-store orders. What is on the shelves could be items ordered but never purchased. The misc. other items may just exist because people who happen into the store have asked for similar items and are offered as a convenience.

I was simply pointing out an example of something I’ve seen done, which your description of what you saw reminded me of .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Astinex wrote:
Actually that makes some sense. To a D&D player actually. Wizards of the Coast, (WotC), has all kinds of promotional stuff available to retailers which ends up selling for decent money on e-bay. Hardcore D&D players try to get their hands on these in high quantity for their own collections and as trade and sale fodder.

But, WotC requires you have a brick and mortar retail store, (requiring pictures and federal tax ID). The rent on the place your describing is probably very low, (or non-existent if its owned), and if a group of 20+ players are most likely sharing the burden. This allows them not only a place to play, but gives them the advantage of acquiring the numerous promos from WotC and other game publishers virtually free.

Edit:
In addition they get to buy all their RPG and gaming materials at distributor prices. Which is often 50% of MSRP.

That's ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.