Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can someone explain to me how the Beach Cafe is used. I've read from the book at least 20 times, my son has read it, and neither of us seem to understand how it's to be used.

Below is the description right out of the book...
The beach café has a special status. It can be used anytime you want to do a second action with one of your cards, including without a foreman. The owner of the beach café may use the alternative features of his tradeswoman, his architect, and his mayor, even if they have already been used by another player (have been marked "occupied").

Does this mean you can use one of your cards a second time? This seems awful powerful for a cost of only 1 stone and 1 wood.

When it says it "can be used anytime" does this mean you don't have to activate it using a foreman?

What does the phrase "including without a foreman" mean?

I think I understand the last sentence, so that's not a problem.

If you can explain how it is used, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
we played our first game with the expansion last night and was trying to figure out this one as well. the rules are really vague. The "anytime you want to do a second action with one of your cards..." can mean many different things.

Does it mean that you can only use the building once round or anytime you play a card with a second use?

Do you do it when you play the card, or anytime (getting the second action for cards you don't choose to play that round)?

I really liberal interpretation of the building would let you get 2 victory points, 1 good or resource and 4 pesos per turn, so we kept it at one use per round, when you played the card you wanted to get the second off of.

using it without a foreman means that the building does not have to be in the row with the worker to activate it, like regular buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
I really liberal interpretation of the building would let you get 2 victory points, 1 good or resource and 4 pesos per turn, so we kept it at one use per round, when you played the card you wanted to get the second off of.

using it without a foreman means that the building does not have to be in the row with the worker to activate it, like regular buildings.

That does seem to make sense, but to me it is just too powerful. If I understand correctly every round I either get 2 points, a resource (from the tradeswoman) or 4 dollars. And it does not require an action. One of the other tiles in the main game requires more resources just to get two points and it has to be activitated by the foreman!

Just way too powerful, unless I am interpreting it wrong.

Looking for more input...

Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
we played it again last night. the general consensus was that when you played one of the cards that has a secondary (mayor, architect or tradeswoman), you could do the secondary if someone else had already done it. your still not using the primary, just he secondary. it's nice in a game with more players and you don't have to play them right off the bad before someone else does, but if all you do is play secondaries, you won't win because all of the primary actions you are not doing. it's good but not a game breaker like I first thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
we played it again last night. the general consensus was that when you played one of the cards that has a secondary (mayor, architect or tradeswoman), you could do the secondary if someone else had already done it. your still not using the primary, just he secondary. it's nice in a game with more players and you don't have to play them right off the bad before someone else does, but if all you do is play secondaries, you won't win because all of the primary actions you are not doing. it's good but not a game breaker like I first thought.

That seems like that would work. In other words, if you have that tile it simply allows you to use the secondary action of the mayor, architect, or tradewoman, even if those have been used. You don't get an extra action.

I think this is correct. However, if that's the case, the explanation in the rules of the tile is horrible.

Al
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player who has built the Beach Café may use it freely (it doesn't need to be activated by the Foreman).

The building simply allow the player to use the alternative action of the Tradeswoman, the Architect and the Mayor even when this action has already been used by another player.

The player still have to play the corresponding card and forego the primary action of that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mik's explanation very clearly reflects my understanding of it. I agree that the English translation is a terrible mess. Unlike other buildings, it is ALWAYS active. Thus, the Foreman does not affect it. I'm not sure why they had such trouble expressing that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP wrote:
I'm not sure why they had such trouble expressing that.

Well, in their defense, it is perfectly clear in the original German rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the surrounding text that's confusing, not that sentence Mik quoted. That one is clear as day when you read it alone.

I believe they wanted "It can be used any time you want to do a secondary action with one of your cards", but the translator put "second" in there instead.

Close, but no cigar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Johnson
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to all that replied. I agree Mik's explanation makes sense and is what we will use.

Thanks again!
Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achilles Last Stand
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mik's explanation is spot on. Instead of reading the rulebook, the description on the back of the building tile itself does a better job of explaining it's function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.