Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently picked this up at my local GW store. The game is complete and in good shape, including the tape which plays fine. i would like to be able to play this game at the table, but have no TV or vcr in that room. rather than move things around or play on the floor I would like to know if anyone has come up with a a playbook or other way to play the game without using the tape. any help is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anja Kwiatkowski
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
That is exactly what I would like to know.
I think, "Space Alert" has some extra rules for the use of cards instead of DVD. Perhaps they might be useful.
Or the time-counting as in "Red November" might be helpful.
I think, I will try those.
If someone comes up with a better idea, I am quite interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Winterhalter
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long time since I played this, but I do own a copy that I played a few times LONG AGO.

Most likely, if you watched your way through the tape, and recorded what kind of events happened when, you could create a card deck w/ the events- and set up a timer either randomly, or for every x minutes to randomly add those events back in, without the use of the vcr.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes- I do intend to dig this one back out of storage soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am uploading a file that I created for rolling dice for events. Check it out. This is how I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry, I forgot to upload the file. It is uploaded just now, just give BGG time to put it up. I play the game with these charts and without the videotape all the time. In fact, two friends and I played on Christmas day. The friend who had never played this game before won. As a easy to play board game, I like it. One thing I changed, is instead of wearing the paper communicators, we use the UFP badges that have your rank on the back. We place it in front of us with the seal side up for communicator on, and turn it black side up for communicator off. This way, you don't have to stick something to your shirt, and everyone can still see if you took your communicator off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fisher
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
As anyone transferred the tape to a dvd I've been thinking of doing so, but have just been busy. If anyone has I would love a copy and it would also save me from doing myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickey Elliott
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

We hit a similar problem in that we had the game and tape, but no VCR player! A quick search on Youtube and we found the Kavok excerpts split into three parts. Part one below... But the uploader said in the comments that he would make the file available to anyone who pm'd him. We did this and got a full version of the video, and played it on a laptop at the table. I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sharrigan

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
MrsElliott wrote:
Hi all,

We hit a similar problem in that we had the game and tape, but no VCR player! A quick search on Youtube and we found the Kavok excerpts split into three parts. Part one below... But the uploader said in the comments that he would make the file available to anyone who pm'd him. We did this and got a full version of the video, and played it on a laptop at the table. I hope this helps!

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know of a digital copy of this floating around anymore? The owner of the YouTube channel doesn't appear to be reachable any longer and I have a copy in my closet just waiting to be played...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! I transferred it to DVD, and I'd be happy to send you a copy!

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/190154/item/3850398#item3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two full copies on YouTube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.