Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Long
United States
Titusville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my Arkham Horror board game in the mail the other day and I was more than a little surprised when I pulled the box out of the priority mail box the game was sent in and discovered the game wasn't as big as I believed it to be. Upon opening the game box, I was expecting a monster of a box loaded with a humongous board as well as loads of cards and components as the reviews on the internet I have been reading seem to indicate. I mean, I do agree the game board is bigger than my other board games but it is seems to be more long than actually being big and there doesn't seem to be as many components to the game as I was lead to believe. I actually thought that I had lost something when the box was being shipped because in the hole where the character cards and ancient ones were placed is more empty space than I thought would be there.

Although, they were correct when the reviewers said that A Touch of Evil the supernatural game is similar to Arkham Horror and, I having owned and played A Touch of Evil previously really gave me a head start in learning how to play Arkham Horror right from the start. I do agree that Arkham Horror is bigger than a usual board game and a little more complex than my other board games but from the reviews I was reading, I thought it would be bigger and way more complex (harder to pick up and learn) than it really was. Anyone else discover this upon getting Arkham Horror?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
You've probably seen the game set up with the expansions. Each big-box expansion comes with a half-sized board, and the small box expansions are almost nothing but cards. Once you get everything set up and ready to go, it takes up enough space to cover an 8x5-foot table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I don't find the turn complexity terribly high largely because you can just page through the rulebook as you go. The complexity level is less than some people would have you believe.

By the time you get all the cards set up around the board, and each player gets their character sheet on the table next to all that, a six-player game's footprint is quite large. Manageable, but large.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it to be plenty big, but since I spend most of my time in a dorm room that could have colored my impressions (It takes up most of the floor space on one half of the room when set up). When you factor in the board size (Which is more long than 'big', but that's precisely the issue when it comes to space) and all the space needed for decks and tokens it's a pretty big footprint.

Also, each expansion adds new decks which need to be set up and each 'big box' adds another board which is roughly an extra 25% of the base game. With all three current boards in play you're looking at 175% the length of what you've got right now.

It's a big game with a lot of 'bits' in the form of decks and tokens. It's not the biggest, but it is bigger than say... Catan or Carcassonne. The set up time is a bit long though (Even with things sorted it usually takes me about 20 minutes, which is why I just leave it set up all the time now) which helps feed the impression of "woah, this is big". And there are a ton of rules to remember, trust me. It's not hard to learn at all, but it is a bit tricky to get everything right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's complex in the sense that there are a lot of moving parts, and there is a lot to keep track of. Also, to the extent it reflects on complexity, I've seen far more self-proclaimed "regular" AH players get even the most basic rules completely wrong than any other game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait until you have everything and see how your table handles it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Sag. The "size" of the game that people refer to is not the size of the board itself, but that size combined with how much room all the other stuff surrounding the board takes up.

The actual board is a pretty standard board size (same as Ticket to Ride I believe), but when you have like 20 piles of cards surrounding the board, plus your investigator and ancient one sheets, its footprint is bigger than any game I can think of that comes in that size box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what she said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
It's complex in the sense that there are a lot of moving parts, and there is a lot to keep track of. Also, to the extent it reflects on complexity, I've seen far more self-proclaimed "regular" AH players get even the most basic rules completely wrong than any other game.

I can attest to this. I play AH far more frequently than any other game (I try to get in at least one play a week, usually 2-3) and I still find myself messing up occasionally.

I only just recently got over a strange issue with not being able to remember to return monsters to the cup when I close a gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Message wrote:
I only just recently got over a strange issue with not being able to remember to return monsters to the cup when I close a gate.

I always do that. Though any errors that hurt me I don't mind so much; I do try to be super vigilant about not making any oversights that help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

It is BIG with expansions laugh I had to set a special very large table for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that for the price, it's a pretty heavy box. I'd played the game before at a friend's previously, but when I received my copy through the post, my reaction was the opposite of mew3692002's - I was very impressed by what I got.

It's a little lighter once you've thrown away the templates for the thick card pieces.

L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Long
United States
Titusville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the pictures I've been seeing were with the expansions because I could still fit it on the bed even with all the components that came with it. Although I did play it and I do love it, I just was judging how big the game was from the pictures I've seen or reviews I've read, not from first hand experience. Also, you all were right about the game, I thought I knew the game from reading the game book but I had to keep referring back to it on certain rules such as how nightmarish effected my character. Even with all the rules and the components to implement, it was really fun to play it.

Have to agree with Luge though; the box was lighter without those big templates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
mew3692002 wrote:
I guess the pictures I've been seeing were with the expansions because I could still fit it on the bed even with all the components that came with it. Although I did play it and I do love it, I just was judging how big the game was from the pictures I've seen or reviews I've read, not from first hand experience. Also, you all were right about the game, I thought I knew the game from reading the game book but I had to keep referring back to it on certain rules such as how nightmarish effected my character. Even with all the rules and the components to implement, it was really fun to play it.

Have to agree with Luge though; the box was lighter without those big templates.

The board is the standard 22" x 34" that most games have. The "big footprint" comes from all the decks, investigators, their items, and all the other things required to play the game.

This game - and I am talking just base game - takes up more playing space than any other game I have. Some space can be saved by strategically placing encounter decks on the board in the dead space, but your investigators will still take up a lot of room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.