Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like another auction of BGG Speed Circuit files assembled onto a CD is up for auction at Ebay.

- C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the one you're talkin' bout?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you have reported them to eBay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,the guts! Let us know if you need any help!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reported same guy last time... I guess it had no effect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering what the actual legality is...it's not like he's pirating the files, since they're available for free. You could say he's charging for the CD itself, and his time in gathering the stuff and putting it onto the CD.

I don't like it, but I doubt there's really that much that can be done.

EDIT: Do questions asked about the listing automatically appear on the page? If they did, you could ask him if the files are available free on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe questions appear unless the seller selects that option... but I just gave it a try.

& I reported him to Ebay again. I checked their guidelines and he is certainly violating their restrictions on IP infringement. I KNOW the alternate start mechanism is copyrighted.

I will probably begin to add a copyright tag and a "downloaded for FREE from www.boardgamegeek.com" to the tracks that I upload.

- C
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heckmac wrote:
I don't believe questions appear unless the seller selects that option... but I just gave it a try.

& I reported him to Ebay again. I checked their guidelines and he is certainly violating their restrictions on IP infringement. I KNOW the alternate start mechanism is copyrighted.

I will probably begin to add a copyright tag and a "downloaded for FREE from www.boardgamegeek.com" to the tracks that I upload.

- C

You could also add the copyright and "downloaded for FREE" to your current files while you're at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the seller has to choose to post the question in the listing, it's not automatic.

Did you send the info to the the security email address or just customer service?

Lastly I agree to ading your tag line to each file. Gives more (not that it needs it) credence to the complaint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The seller responded to my question
Quote:
"Thanks for taking the time to write. This package contains items collected over the years from a long defunct internet user group for the original game. I am not aware of your website. My guess is someone purchased this set and uploaded the files onto your site without my knowledge. This is simply an archive of a lot of supplemental material that many people find useful. My intent is to help gamers get more enjoyment from the game and to keep people playing these older games. Maybe a new generation will play less xbox and rediscover these classics. If you're asking about buying this then my advice to anyone is if you're not comfortable with something, just don't buy it."

He did not post the Q and A on the item page for all to see. I did report him to EBay security previously and again this time. I've never received a response from Ebay and don't expect I will.

I do not intend to engage him any more at this point, though I will note that his advertisement says:

"6) SUPER BONUS I now include the entire 2008 season of Tracks!"

This "long defunct" website had the amazing ability to pre-produce a collection of the 2008 tracks... unless his definition of "long defunct" is last year.

Oh well, while I agree with his "high road" sentiments about making the game available, it still bothers me that he is obviously downloading from the Geek and selling to unsuspecting slobs. The inventory of his "item" reads amazingly like the inventory of the BGG Speed Circuit files...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Pellegrino
Italy
Palermo
Sicilia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He is selling also my rules for the rain\dry tires...
Fabio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the REAL world, guys!

People have been selling stuff like on E-bay ever since it started a decade ago. It is not going to stop as long as people are willing to pay for it - which they are.

But if a little whining makes you feel happier... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.