Subject: Free Mars system is based on SPI's Battlefleet Mars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Decision Games has this on their pledge. See number 58 on the list here.

About Free Mars:
Decision Games website wrote:
From the colonies of Mars to the orbital stations of Earth and to the outposts on Jupiter, the cry is heard, Free Mars! is a science fiction wargame of revolt across the Solar System in the late 21st century. Earth's colonies are rising up against an oppressive Terran Federation. The system is based on SPI's Battlefleet Mars, but with additional forces and units representing several types of spaceships, ground units and special forces. Special weapons include artificial intelligence missiles, cybernetic attacks and enhancement of human warriors via nano-technology. Cards representing the various military-political-economic groups that are maneuvering for power are included. The map shows the Solar System out to Jupiter, with displays for each planet. Joseph Miranda. Est. retail $80 (Est. Pledge $60).

They also say on their pledge page:
Decision Games wrote:
Depending on its (Struggle for the Galactic Empire) success and your pledges, we'll continue on with Free Mars and the Star Force Trilogy.

So, if you want to see Free Mars then check out Struggle for the Galactic Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaeldavidcox wrote:
The system is based on SPI's Battlefleet Mars, but with additional forces and units representing several types of spaceships, ground units and special forces.

Why, just the other day I was thinking: "You know what would make Battlefleet Mars more fun and more playable? Even more complexity."

Maybe they could make the tactical board four-dimensional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen, Brother Pete!!

Redmond is thrashing in his grave!! "What more do they WANT?!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they are planning on making it more complex, but rather on a design overhaul, which the game could certainly use. Personally, I have a lot of faith in Joe Miranda, and from what I've been reading about it over in Consimworld it sounds like it will be a very interesting reprint/redesign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the website says it (along with others) has been pushed to 2014 and beyond...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Tete Montoliu - Tootie's Tempo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great subject matter, but in my experience DG's batting average when improving SPI designs is south of the Mendoza Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I was one of the first playtesters for Free Mars. It did not have a tactical map or tactical subgame, which took up many pages of rules in Battle Fleet Mars. It has a simplified tactical game, and players could select loads for their ships to suit their tastes or the tactical situation.

I did not think Free Mars was particularly complex. Each player has at his disposal various units, and he also has cards that provide certain advantages, but the game does not use a card-driven system. Joe Miranda added his own touches with cyber-humans, nano-tech, and the like. I recall there was not much action on Mercury and Venus, but that is true too for Battle Fleet Mars.

In overall feel, both are similar, pitting Ares Corp. against the Martian rebellion. I liked Free Mars quite a bit, and have been looking forward to its publication for many years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it still being playtested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.