Popular Tags: [View All]
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love this game and play it a lot with 3-players. Recently, we've started using a different way to determine the starting Premier tiles. Instead of taking one Premier tile of each size to start with, we flip Event cards from the Event deck and start with the tiles depicted on the cards. We ignore the 'Pull Strings' card, although I suppose you could let the starting player decide on the Premier tile size. Once the Premier tiles have been determined, the event cards are discarded.

Last night's game was remarkably different because 3 large Premier tiles were drawn - all of them fairly expensive, and none of them with the '$' symbol (Buffet x 2, Night Club). This lead to VERY intense bidding on Slots in the first few rounds of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While starting with differently sized tiles might be a nice idea, I suspect that your variant has a side effect which affects the length of the game. With the original rules, "Pull Strings" events aside, the game ends when the last card (out of 10) of a certain size is drawn. With your variant, since the first tiles were based on cards instead of drawn automatically without cards, the game will not end even when all 10 cards of a certain size is drawn, unless some tiles have been taken with Pull Strings. Hence I suspect that your variant might lengthen the game somewhat. In fact, if all the Pull Strings come out as the last cards in the deck, the end game condition will not be met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Stern
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
It seems like a cute variant, probably increasing variance quite a bit. Also, depending on which cards get "discarded", it could change the potential strategies a bit. ie if Lady's Night or Lounge Lizard gets discarded, then the "lounge" strategy loses quite a bit of potential.

Like I say for all variants, if your gaming group enjoys it, then it is a winner.
-hs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you are not counting the events on the three cards, else you might hit some pathological starts (eg Rise in Demand with Slot Builder Strike).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no events used, just determining the 1st three tiles.

As for the game not ending. just reshuffle the entire deck if you run out near the end. Or, reshuffle those 3 seed cards back into the deck before you start the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that, there's nothing wrong with having random sizes for the starting tiles itself. But there is enough variation in the standard set-up anyway (a Fancy Slot is very different from a Fancy Restaurant, and same for the other sizes), and the extra variation is not worth as much as the elegance in having exactly one more card of each size than tiles (Pull Strings aside) IMO.

Regardless of whether you return the events cards to the deck or not, if you draw no small tiles in the initial three, then the game cannot end on depletion of small tiles without Pull Strings on a small tile. That can sometimes give too much deciding power on the dealer who draws a Pull Strings card: he doesn't only change the chances of the game ending sooner, but he can actually make it possible or not with his choice. There are ways to fix that, but I feel that the merits of the variant is not big enough to worth that trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.