Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just played this for the first time, 2-player game. We had to learn the rules, so I fully expected a game longer than the advertised 30 minutes, but it ended up taking well over an hour. Is this typical? I suppose we could lessen the number of acheivment tokens required to end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several 2 player games but always having to explain the rules to newcomers and the game takes about an hour for us.

I really like this game, by the way. I hope you enjoy it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I just played this for the first time, 2-player game. We had to learn the rules, so I fully expected a game longer than the advertised 30 minutes, but it ended up taking well over an hour. Is this typical? I suppose we could lessen the number of acheivment tokens required to end the game.

This is one of my favorite games. It takes a while to "get it" but once you do the game speeds up. Since it is a physically small game you don't sense right away how many items you must monitor. By playing 4-5 times you will start to see that is has more depth than you might expect.

It excels as a 2-P, so I hope you will continue to play it!

Cheers,

BF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Wonderful game.
Yes, it took me about that time for the first two games.
But I am sure once you have played it two or three times, you will find that it really does not take that long.
Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Tong
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I played this game three times with my husband, every time it took us over an hour. But I really like this game, it has more fun than some much more expensive games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think our games have taken about an hour.

Some advice would be to make sure you keep some cards to store your goods from pirates. Once you've done that, those goods are protected forever, so will always turn into 1 of your 8 tokens needed (assuming you can manage just to buy just three more cards of that colour sometime during the rest of the game, not hard).

If it's taking significantly over an hour, then watch out for rules errors. Obvious ones to check for would be moving the ship back to the proper spot after pirates attack (only to Cyrenaica and not back to the beginning), and making sure every player takes achievement tokens for selling no matter who caused the ship to get to Carthage (I saw one game where only the player who moved the ship was selling and taking the token, no wonder it took forever).

edit: whoops. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the replies. I do think we got the rules correct, with exception that we didn't realize you can also reserve farm cards (not just market cards). At first the game seemed a bit fiddly, but by the end we were cruising, and I'm looking forward to the next game. It does indeed have a lot to think about. I particularly enjoyed trying to manipulate arrival of the ships in Carthage to avoid getting raided (or causing my opponent to get raided).

UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
... watch out for rules errors. Obvious ones to check for would be moving the ship back to the proper spot after pirates attack (only to Alexandria and not back to the beginning) ...

I think you mean Cyrenaica, no? Alexandria is the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that one. Loaded up the rules to check the spelling, and copied the wrong one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played three times, 4-p and twice 2-p, always teaching the game to newbies. The first one (4-p) was long because of the rules and players overthinking their moves.

Then I played the other two 2-p up to 6 tokens, because I don't want to make discover this game to players and let them think that this is a looong game. For the second game, with the rules learnt, I'll be back to 8 tokens though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jan w
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. We just cracked this open for the first time. Our 2player game mustve lasted almost 2 HOURS. We were both bogged down with AP, analysing every possible move and it's outcome. I suggested we should speed things up but you just end up going back to checking every possible course of action. Maybe this will get better with more plays, but I found this a brain burner if I ever saw one!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasta Batman
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
OP here. After 15 games or so, we're now averaging about 40 minutes. Still enjoying it - replay-ability is good. 2 hours? AP Gone Wild, definitely. I suggest making a concerted effort to stifle your AP tendencies for this one, at least for the first couple of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't see how there's that much room for AP here. My wife and I are always on the slow side of game length, so it's not like we're speedsters putting unrealistic expectations on folks.

You have to buy all the cards, or none. So either you can afford it, or you can't, that's just a simple addition of 2+2+3=7 etc, and a single decision of "these ships will move here and here, so do I or don't I?"

Otherwise, you're taking a single card from 3 to 5 cards on the table. "Do I want the Red 2 or the Blue 5", again only a few decisions to make. If there are four cards available and you can't buy them, then there are only four situations to look at. "I take card 1 and those two ships could move if bought next turn. Or, I take card 2 and these two ships move..."

Yeah, you're making 5 or 6 decisions each turn, but those should be decisions that take only 15 seconds each.

Again I caution to make sure you've got the two rules right that can really lengthen the game, when pirates strike your goods are protected forever and make sure you move the ships back to the intermediate spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
if you have two people it should take 30 mins. The game involves a bit of game theory so don't get bogged down with it. Also the game could get drawn out if both players play defensive. The game seems to bog down in the opening until the first ship scores, then the decisions come easier.

I frequently know what I am doing before my opp takes his move, his move can't change that much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.