Subject: Rules for attacking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evil Marui
Canada
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe I'm dumb, maybe the rules are convoluted but they don't really spell out how an attack works other then the one example. How do I determine if I hit? How do I determine damage?

I read and re-read the rules and still was confused about it. Maybe its the beer...

A sword is rated at Sword - R1 D2 H0 1Hnd does this mean it only does 2 damage + strength + 1d6? looking at the example it does not make sense because the MM attack is listed as R5 D1 H1 1AP. In the example it talks about adding the hit bonus (H?) to his wisdom + 1d6, in that case what is the D used for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmmmm beer.

Let me jot down a few example numbers:

First our hero. We'll call him Meathead the Mighty
Str 5 Dex 2 Wis 2 Hp 15 And he has a
Short Sword R1 D2 H1 1Hnd (Attack Skill is Strength)
and a.Buckler 1A

Next our enemies:
Goblins M1 R1 A8 H1-3 D2 HP6

For our example. We'll say he is fighting two of them.

So, first his attack.
I would *flip* d6 (I got a 4) then add his Str and the Swords hit bonus (the H stat). So 4+5+1 = 10
The Goblin I am attacking has an A(rmor) if 8, which I need to beat to hit. So 10 > 8. I score a hit and do the swords D(amage) to the first goblin.
Then Goblin 1 attacks. I *flip* d6, get a 2. The Goblins H(it) on 1-3 so since two is in that range, the first goblin hits. I take 1 Damage (my shields 1A soaks up the first 1damage I get each round). Then goblin 2 attacks. *flip* d6, 4. It misses.
End of first round of combat. Rinse and repeat.

Hope that clears it up some! Glad you are checking out the game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Marui
Canada
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
That clears it up for me, Thanks!

I'll continue on in the dungeon and see how it goes. :arrrh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Marui
Canada
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Okay, more clarification for myself: Rules for Kobolds and the fact that they spawn +2..

Where do I put them? Example: I open door to a 5 square room (2x2 +1). The room in question has 1 +2 Kobolds, I drew the 1 Kobold in the far side of the room and put his +2 in the same square because they are not adjacent to my hero. I had enough movement to move immediately next all 3 Kobolds in their cozy little square. Now can all 3 of them attack me? I think the rules need a little more explaining about how many enemies per square. It just states that you can group them as long as they aren't adjacent. This doesn't work with the rule stating that in adjacent squares to the hero there can only be one monster. If I have enough movement to go through a door and walk right next to a group of 3 I've broken the rules! Sure, I could have drawn them all out individually but I want the rules to tell me what to do.

Thanks!

On a positive note, I really like what you have going here. With a cleaned up set of rules and some more clarifications, I think you really have something good.

Love it, just wish I could make more sense of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, thats a sticky situation, that I gotta say I didn't really think of.
I had been considering taking out the "you can group enemies far away together" rule for some time.
The way I would play it, is like this:

Enter the room, X kobolds in space 4 away, I move in, when I am two spaces away, I either move x-1 of them backwards, if there is a space, or 1 of them forward 1 spot.
You should have a pretty good feel for your character, so if you are playing a really fast character, you can always just not clump them together to start with. In my mind this would indicate the kobolds were milling around the room before you came in and not huddled together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Sutheland
United States
Kennett
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing with a house rule that creatures may stack in the same sqaure but suffer a -1 to hit and A for each additional creature.

Kobolds can still try to swarm but the modifier balances it out so its not overly powerful.

My Dwarf has been bull rushing and pushing bad guys all over the place. Was even better when I added pits and trap squares to the map

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.