United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say, I have been reading the rules and teaching my wife how to play this. The more I learn it, the better it sounds. I have never played a game quite like this before. The rules are well-written, the artwork is fantastic, especially the pictures of the Stalingrad ruins. I cannot wait to play this. I just hope the game is half as good as my current expections

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got through playing a short demo here at Origins, and it is everything I hoped it would be!

Very different, very intense (meaning bloody), fabulous graphics (maybe even a bit over done), and definitely drops you into the heart of the conflict.

Of course I grabbed a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules myself and am very intrigued. My only worry / disappointment is the arbitrary rolling of dice to determine a winner of a battle, when there is clearly a strategic intent w/ card management and usage during a battle ala MTG.

It almost seems to trivialize what a player does when it really comes down to dice rolls in the end.

Any one who's played feel its like this or am I worrying about these rolls too much? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished playing for about 3 hours and it is great -- the die rolls feel fine You are fighting to get the dice, so you have a better chance at the final roll. But it feels alright, although it sounds wierd.

This is the best wargame I have played in YEARS! Just saw the demo at Origins today and my son bought a copy. It is FAST, FUN, and unlike any wargame I have ever seen or played.

Frankly, I'd say it is a must-buy if you are a serious Eurogamer with tolerance for conflict -- and a definite must-buy for a wargamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
The die roll to determine a victory in a sector does feel weird, but also feels right for the circumstances building up to it. Let me put it this way: It's not any worse than having several 6 to 1 odds on a CRT and maybe rolling a 1 resulting in an AR each time cry. The probabilities will even out in the long run.

I can see HoS being a great gateway game from grognards to Euros, which IMO makes it verrrry interesting indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
travillaintim wrote:
Any one who's played feel its like this or am I worrying about these rolls too much? thanks

Tim, looking at your microbadges, let me just state that the die roll here is much like the melee die roll in Combat Commander. Usually one does try to come in with lots of firepower/ambush cards in that game, but every now and then a 2 unit can defeat a 9 unit in melee.

And to bring this analogy into this game - Pavlov's House was defended by a small force even against an onslaught of a much larger force for almost 60 days.

Yes, it comes down to a die roll, but it is very thematic in the game. One hopes for the best odds and to win the war eventually even though some battles will be lost. And when you lose rolling 4 die to 1 die that war is hell, especially in Stalingrad.

Having played a few rounds of the game, I did not find the die roll at the end anti-climatic at all. Just another vagary of war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I have now played through a couple advanced games (my advice: totally skip the basic game). As mentioned above, the whole purpose of the battle should be thinking about how to earn extra dice. For example, as the Russians, you may want to end the battle as soon as possible if the building allows them to roll 4 d6, since ending the battle quickly will decrease the chance of the Germa player building up his dice (i.e. infernos heroes etc.) Whereas the Germa palyer needs to struggle a bit more to overcome the inherent Russian defense d6. If the fire track is pretty advanced, I will play cards to get an inferno die. I try to get extra formations and units etcetera.

Our last game was a bit anticlimactic. After turn 4, there were 3 Volga cards present and an empty space. On turn 5, the Russian campaign card had an hour glass, which moved the turn marker to 6 which promptly endeed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Cunliffe
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Hi this is Steve, I designed the game and just got back from Origins. I just joined BGG and I am must say I have been blown away by the responses I have seen from people who have played the game!

Concerning Break Tests:

The dice rolls are a valid criticism on the game and have been all throughout the games four years of playtesting. Some people will enjoy the break tests for the bloody realism it generates and some people won't.

I designed the break rolls mainly to take into account the asymmetrical nature of urban warfare. The truth of Stalingrad is that a system needed to be designed to into account situations where 50 Guards could hold the Grain Elevator for two weeks against 20,000 attacking Germans even when all their supporting formations had been driven off.

Over the years of playtesting I have worked to weigh Break Tests in favor of the participant who makes the best strategic and tactical choices during a battle while still leaving open the outcome of the Break test in doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.