Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Why after one year I decided I really like my iPod rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My beautiful, sweet, caring, and apparently blind (after all she married me) wife gave me an 80G iPod last year for father's day.

I had asked for said iPod. However, I asked for it without doing any research on features, bang-for-buck, usability etc. All I knew was I wanted a player big enough to carry my entire collection so I didn't have to re-sync every time I had a change of musical mood. Oh, and it needed to play audiobooks. I had never used an iPod prior to receiving my 80G Classic.

When I received it I was SHOCKED at how few features the thing has. You can't even delete a song from it without first hooking up to the computer. Damn.

Every other device I own has tremendous numbers of features and configuration options.

But a year later? All those other devices I spend more time tweaking, configuring and customizing than using. The iPod I simply use. It does its job sans bells and whistles, but it does it well.

Strange how what I want and what I need are two different things.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love my 80G, but it is almost full and it hasn't scratched the surface of my collection. If I get the 160G I'd have to get another back up drive as well, oof.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but you're a statistical anomaly. I think there's a way to stream your collection from your home machine via the Ipod Touch.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my iPod Touch. I just like being able to be on the next researching facts if needed. I'm "connected"!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
Avatar
mb
I gave up on trying to fit my ever-growing collection onto a portable device. Now I've got Sonos to stream from a NAS box when I'm at home, and on my G1 I just carry about 6G of random stuff that I sync every other day or so, for when I'm out and about...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
I really love my 80G, but it is almost full and it hasn't scratched the surface of my collection. If I get the 160G I'd have to get another back up drive as well, oof.

I did this and haven't looked back. Totally worth it.
My collection is only about 110G, but I fill the rest with video.
And frankly, if I ever need more space, I should delete some old crap I never listen to anymore anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:
Yeah, but you're a statistical anomaly. I think there's a way to stream your collection from your home machine via the Ipod Touch.


I had previously set up my Treo (now Centro) to do this. For me, it was just too fiddly. I'm certain the Touch (and the new Palm Pre) do this much nicer than my smartphone, but being a Verizon customer, neither is an option at the moment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
sisteray wrote:
I really love my 80G, but it is almost full and it hasn't scratched the surface of my collection. If I get the 160G I'd have to get another back up drive as well, oof.

I did this and haven't looked back. Totally worth it.
My collection is only about 110G, but I fill the rest with video.
And frankly, if I ever need more space, I should delete some old crap I never listen to anymore anyway.


Yeah, I should give the 80 to Alice and move up. I was hoping that by the time I'd need to get a new one there would be something that would accommodate the size of my collection. I periodically delete stuff that I don't listen to, but I'd prefer just to have it all. If I were to make a rough estimate it would take an iPod with at least 320G, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hard to believe you guys can listen to 320 gb of music in the life of your ipod.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
I find it hard to believe you guys can listen to 320 gb of music in the life of your ipod.



I ride the subway in NYC.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Yeah, I should give the 80 to Alice and move up. I was hoping that by the time I'd need to get a new one there would be something that would accommodate the size of my collection. I periodically delete stuff that I don't listen to, but I'd prefer just to have it all. If I were to make a rough estimate it would take an iPod with at least 320G, right?

Don't look at me. All my CDs are in boxes in storage, and should probably just be sold at this point. Have to make room...

And by the time they make a 320G iPod, your collection will just be bigger
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
I find it hard to believe you guys can listen to 320 gb of music in the life of your ipod.



I ride the subway in NYC.


Using rough estimates. of a song being about 4 MB, and being 5 minutes long

That would be 278 days of straight listening 24/7 non-stop to get through it all.

If you ride the subway 2 hours a day each way too and from work, that would be 1,667 days to go through all your music one time.

At 5 work days a week, for 50 weeks a year, it would take you just over 6 and a half years to get through all your songs 1 time.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When you buy an ipod, you're buying not just capacity, but potential, the possibility of being able to listen to anything in your collection. So it might take six years to move through it one song at a time, but the emotional/cognitive pain of not having the song you want is great enough that you're willing to carry the white brick around.

You're paying for the possibility of a nice surprise at any moment.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
SybotCB wrote:
At 5 work days a week, for 50 weeks a year, it would take you just over 6 and a half years to get through all your songs 1 time.

You forgot...

Q.E.D., mofo!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
sisteray wrote:
SybotCB wrote:
I find it hard to believe you guys can listen to 320 gb of music in the life of your ipod.



I ride the subway in NYC.

Using rough estimates. of a song being about 4 MB, and being 5 minutes long

That would be 278 days of straight listening 24/7 non-stop to get through it all.

If you ride the subway 2 hours a day each way too and from work, that would be 1,667 days to go through all your music one time.

At 5 work days a week, for 50 weeks a year, it would take you just over 6 and a half years to get through all your songs 1 time.



This assumes I just go to work then home. This also assumes that I don't listen to music when I get to wherever I'm going. It is not infrequent that my iPod is going at work (and it certainly is during my lunch hour. At home, I also use my iPod, this has cut down on CD clean-up drastically (but means I mostly just listen to what is uploaded).

I also like to have options, suddenly I have a craving to listen to Big Black. It isn't in my iPod. What am I going to do???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
This assumes I just go to work then home. This also assumes that I don't listen to music when I get to wherever I'm going. It is not infrequent that my iPod is going at work (and it certainly is during my lunch hour. At home, I also use my iPod, this has cut down on CD clean-up drastically (but means I mostly just listen to what is uploaded).

I also like to have options, suddenly I have a craving to listen to Big Black. It isn't in my iPod. What am I going to do???



It assumes nothing, I told you it was estimates. It's mainly a humor post.

But in my defense, the parameters were very conservative. I said a song was 5 minutes long and 4 MB, most songs are about 3 MB when they are 5 minutes long, though it varies from song to song, and with the bit rate.

It also says your subway ride was two hours each way, totaling 4 hours of listening a day. I would hope your ride wasn't that long. Otherwise, I'm very glad I don't live in NYC.

As far as having your entire music collection with you, I guess I'm a love the one you're with kind of guy, my iPod is only 8gB and I use smart playlists so that it resyncs new stuff to it every time I hook it up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold my ipod touch because I was afraid I was going to break the screen and be out $150, plus it felt a little too closed. But I really liked it. I now use a 1gb sansa clip, and every song on it is one I love. There are advantages to both methods, I suppose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.