Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Father is a huge civil war buff, but he is not a gamer. He does reenactments pretty often, his most recent at Gettysburg.

Hes not a gamer. But i would like to see if there is a low-mid complexity civil war boardgame out there for him. Does anyone have recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory C
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
100% FUN
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided is a good & simple game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoryC wrote:
A House Divided is a good & simple game.

Definitely a great game, one of my favorites. It is strategic level, though (modelling the whole war). If your dad is more into individual battles, he might be more interested in Battle Cry, which is unfortunately out of print and a little pricey secondhand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
I realise you're probably looking for a boardgame, in which case I would agree with Battle Cry, House Divided or perhaps For The People.
I also have a soft spot for the Avalon Hill Gettysburg 77 edition, and have heard very good things about the AH Smithsonian or 125th Anniversary edition.
Most of these are out of print of course

But speaking as a former reenactor the coolest "game" I have seen on the Civil War is the Take Command series from Mad Minute Games for the computer. It really reminded me of being on the field at the big reenactments of the 125th years.
www.madminutegames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim C
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition). It's not the best history, but very easy to play. It's out of print, you can probably get a copy on Ebay for fairly cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb

Another vote for A House Divided.

A great strategic wargame featuring point-to-point movement and easy to learn rules. This would be a good choice if you don't mind playing for ~4 hours. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
If your dad is more into individual battles, he might be more interested in Battle Cry, which is unfortunately out of print and a little pricey secondhand.

The AH version of Battle Cry is a great game, and comes with a number of battles to play (15 battles, Gettysburg being two of them). I have seen a number sell for reasonable prices on ebay recently, and there are a number available on the BGG Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My Father is a huge civil war buff, but he is not a gamer. He does reenactments pretty often,

What unit is he with? I was in the 8th TN US. House Divided or Battle Cry if you can find them. Blue vs Gray I think would be ok too.

PS I would not recommend Price of Freedom. I thought the rules were a mess. If your dad had not played a wargame before I believe he would have trouble understanding the rules. However some do like the game but I am not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belz wrote:
tppytel wrote:
If your dad is more into individual battles, he might be more interested in Battle Cry, which is unfortunately out of print and a little pricey secondhand.

The AH version of Battle Cry is a great game, and comes with a number of battles to play (15 battles, Gettysburg being two of them). I have seen a number sell for reasonable prices on ebay recently, and there are a number available on the BGG Marketplace.

An alternative to Battle Cry is Yankees & Rebels. It's usually available from Boulder Games but seems to be currently out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend taking a look at The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865. Strategic point-to-point movement with a solid card driven mechanic that helps diversify the game from session to session. Very nice artwork too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Cry of Freedom is a fun card game. Easy to play and does a pretty good job of simulation.

Blue vs. Gray is also a good card game that is easy to play and has good simulation value.

Both also have high replay value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To second a few other recommendations here, these are the three low-complexity Civil War games that I always trot out when someone is looking for Civil War games for non-gamers:

A House Divided - whole war strategic level, in print (Phalanx Games)
Gettysburg (125th Anniversary edition) - individual battle level - Gettysburg, OOP (Avalon Hill) but available on eBay
Battle Cry - individual battle level - multiple battle, OOP (Hasbro-AH) but available on eBay (and also apparently going to be back in print in some updated form in the next year or so)

These are probably your best bets.

Other low complexity ACW games, but a step up from these, are:
Across 5 Aprils - individual battle level - five battles, OOP (AH) but available on eBay
Chancellorsville (second edition) - individual battle level - Chancellorsville, OOP (AH) but available on eBay
Bull Run - individual battle level - first Bull Run, OOP (AH), but, again, available on eBay

These last three are more of the traditional hex-and-counter wargame type, but of very low complexity for such games.

Whatever you choose, good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.