Subject: Issue with a trade. What should happen? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If, hypothetically, you received a game via trade that was damaged to the point that it was not playable and had no further trade value what type of resolution would you expect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
If it was damaged in-transit, and you didn't use postal insurance, you're out of luck. If it was insured, the PO owes you money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
What the previous poster said.

This assumes of course the game was damaged in transit and wasn't fubar before being sent to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were the sender, depending on the games and value involved, if I had something else from that person's wishlist, I might send them something, so that they'd have something, especially if it's a thrifted game that I happened to find that they couldn't otherwise go out and get, or perhaps a small gift card to use towards something else. (I'm assuming that it was well packaged, and it was the postal service's fault, as you didn't make mention of absent or insufficient packaging.) Trading, for me, is mostly about the fun of something showing up on my doorstep, and so I wouldn't want the other side to completely miss out on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if...it was probably damaged in transit, but by no fault of the shipping company? The shipping box was in decent shape and the actual game box is perfect. What if certain fragile pieces where not packaged properly. Just left laying loose in the game box to jostle around as it makes its way across the country? Not bagged, no inserted into the manufacturers Styrofoam box that is intended to protect each individual piece, not restrained in any manner. Poor packaging is to blame in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
montag66 wrote:
damaged in transit, but by no fault of the shipper? ...certain fragile pieces where not packaged properly.

If it is not a new game, it is 100% the shipper's fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By shipper, are you referring to the trader or the company paid to deliver the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
montag66 wrote:
By shipper, are you referring to the trader or the company paid to deliver the game?

The trader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
montag66 wrote:
damaged in transit, but by no fault of the shipper? ...certain fragile pieces where not packaged properly.

If it is not a new game, it is 100% the shipper's fault.

I recently received a game in a maths trade. The sender told me it was mint when sent and that it was packaged well however it was damaged when I got it. He said he was sorry that the game was damaged. I believed he was responsible for the damage and sought a mutually agreeable trade or sale which was slightly in my favour to make up for the damaged game. He said he owed me nothing and was exceedingly rude when I gave him the feedback he deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:

I recently received a game in a maths trade. The sender told me it was mint when sent and that it was packaged well however it was damaged when I got it. He said he was sorry that the game was damaged. I believed he was responsible for the damage and sought a mutually agreeable trade or sale which was slightly in my favour to make up for the damaged game. He said he owed me nothing and was exceedingly rude when I gave him the feedback he deserved.

I, on the other hand, recently rushed off a game as a result of a maths trade without sufficient packaging.
As soon as the recipient informed me that the game was damaged, I offered other games on his wishlist that I had to hand, before finally purchasing a new copy.
Packaging is the responsibility of the shipper.
Karma and goodwill are more important than the cost of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree totally with Stew's comments, and would emphasise that not only is packaging the sender's responsibility, but so is the ultimate safe and successful delivery.

Since the sender is employing the post office or courier as agents to deliver that package on their behalf, it remains their responsibility throughout.

This feels unfair if you're the sender since once the package is posted you've no longer got any control over it. Doubly so when that package is passed through the control of several different carriers on an international journey. It's hard, but there's no way out of it...

If the item is lost or damaged in the post then the sender/seller carries that responsibility and is required to refund or replace it. Of course the sender recoups their loss by claiming against the post office or courier; it doesn't help that this can take ages particularly since most claims seem to be met with the "let's make this as difficult as possible' procedure...

It astonishes me how often you'll see traders - sometimes including proper businesses that ought to know better - state something along the line of "once it's in the post, it's not our problem any more, so cross your fingers". Which is total Grade A garbage, to use a technical term... A lot of people genuinely believe this, so in some cases it's doubtless just a (significant) error. But I'm sure that it's adopted as a policy of expediency in other cases...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Critical Mass wrote:

He doesn't sound very sorry.

What a fuckwit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
right. And he told me I should be ashamed of myself for my feedback

"NAME REMOVED" claims the box was pristine and his packaging was done well. The big tear in the top of the lid for Android says otherwise.

because he felt like I was calling him a liar. Considering he had already saved on postage by packing my game with some he was sending to my friend you would think he would at least be able to make some conciliatory guesture. I even offered to sell or trade games on his want list in a way that I felt would be very slightly in my favour to make up for it but...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
montag 66
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't start this thread because I was working with a difficult trader. I'm sure things will work out (hypothetically ). This is just my first issue with a trade and I wanted to know what to expect.

I've had nothing but great success trading with this awesome community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Critical Mass wrote:

He doesn't sound very sorry.

What a fuckwit.

If
it was packaged well but still got damaged the sender bears no responsibility to replace it. It's not his fault that the receiver failed to request and pay for insurance. And then the buyer tries to spin the whole thing into "a mutually agreeable trade or sale which was slightly in my favour" and then, when that doesn't pay off, he leaves negative feedback?

That's pretty crappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:

If[/b][/i] it was packaged well but still got damaged the sender bears no responsibility to replace it. It's not his fault that the receiver failed to request and pay for insurance. And then the buyer tries to spin the whole thing into "a mutually agreeable trade or sale which was slightly in my favour" and then, when that doesn't pay off, he leaves negative feedback?

That's pretty crappy.

Erm, wrong.

I'll assume you're fine with screwing over your trade partners with an attitude like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, purchased something from Marktplaats (local marketplace site), and the seller sent me 3 big box games, and she wrapped them in wrapping paper!

That's it! wow

The top box got seriously damaged (though only box damage), and all she said was, "wow, sorry, I always wrap the games I sell like this - it has never happened before!"

Yeah right... shake

(and no, I didn't force the issue - she didn't ask if I wanted a partial refund or anything else)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilby wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:

If[/b][/i] it was packaged well but still got damaged the sender bears no responsibility to replace it. It's not his fault that the receiver failed to request and pay for insurance. And then the buyer tries to spin the whole thing into "a mutually agreeable trade or sale which was slightly in my favour" and then, when that doesn't pay off, he leaves negative feedback?

That's pretty crappy.

Erm, wrong.

I'll assume you're fine with screwing over your trade partners with an attitude like that.

That's a stretch.

I have a responsibility to package the game as best I can to make sure it gets to its destination in the condition I sent it. So far, I've had no problems with the games I've sent (and received).

If the contents are damaged because I messed up the packaging, then I'd try to make it right.

But I'm not a retail outlet - if the parcel gets mashed, then I can try to collect the insurance (Canada Post parcel service comes with $100 insurance built in), but beyond that what would you expect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.