Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
...the Fluxboard.

Plywood with a piezo transducer glued to it under the black box which has a switch and a phono plug. Attached to the board is an old doorbell, two door stops (one weighted with a fishing weight), three screws that are at different depths to tune them in fifths, a baking / cooling rack, a piece of aluminum and a screen door spring. At the bottom of the image is the effects... bass overdrive, ring modulator and a digital delay. Amplified through a Beheringer BX1200 bass amp. The "instrument" is played with my fingers on the screws, a wire brush (both the brush end and the wooden handle) and a bullet vibrator from Babeland (I was at a movie premier in NYC a few weeks ago, Babeland sponsored it. They were handing them out for free and Bugink and I both got one with the intent on using them in this sort of application).

Sound sample here:

Edit: I moved some files around on my server, so the image and MP3 link changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Great!

In a somewhat similar vein:

Top left: Sousen - four string contraption with a low B bass string and three other strings made of accidentally available wire, and a earth contact to create electronic clicks and buzzes. Sent through delay effect to create loops and rhythms.

Top right: Converted radio with pitch shifter effect (double).

Bottom middle: Electric Morin Khuur (Mongolian two-string instrument) with paired strings (hence four strings instead of two).

All three played - more or less - simultaneously:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I recommend playing your and my MP3 file at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:

Ha... you know, this has me thinking... we could do this remotely. It has been done. Send one track, send back two mixed together, return again with a third track mix down, etc.

I have a whole piano worth of strings that I am making something like a koto with. I also have two independent saddle / bridges for bass (instead of a typical bridge with four strings you have one bridge for each string). I am building a two string bass with a B and an E string that I will detune and bow for some extra low end drones.

...of course, I built this one a while back:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:

It works!

pronoblem wrote:
Lajos wrote:

Ha... you know, this has me thinking... we could do this remotely. It has been done. Send one track, send back two mixed together, return again with a third track mix down, etc.

A buddy of mine just got his track put on a "Best of..." cd made by a www site which brings musicians together. He and his 3 bandmates have never met, and recorded the track in 4 different countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
pronoblem wrote:

A buddy of mine just got his track put on a "Best of..." cd made by a www site which brings musicians together. He and his 3 bandmates have never met, and recorded the track in 4 different countries.

I kind of like to see the faces of my fellow 'musicians'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
...the Fluxboard.

As I listen to the sample, I imagine sneaking through a dimly lit alien factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Great!

In a somewhat similar vein:

Wow! Were I still into RPGs, I'd use this as a background music for a dungeon, naw, cave crawl. The players would go bonkers within minutes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and so do I...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both together is way cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a web page for the FB with some more samples.

http://www.fluxmass.org/music/pronoblem/fluxboard.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.