Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You are playing Scenario M bringing your Americans into the fray against the Japanese. Japanese setup 2-6[lmg,ASL]-5[SL] showing strong indication of a maneuver group in C.

How do you choose to setup the yanks? Are there any specific game positions that the yanks need to be in or look out for to increase chances of winning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, interesting question - in looking at the scenario I don't think I ever realized the Americans only get 9 personality cards in this match.

I wonder if I just assumed it was the standard first 12 personality cards that they get in scenario A. Hmmm.

That makes this very tough on the Americans. Armed with bolt-action rifles you lose your moving fire bonus. It does not look good.

I see two options.

1. Put a large fire group in group B. Large as in maybe 7 guys. Put the two low moral guys in A, and just use that group to get rid of movement cards/etc when you do an action with the main group in B. But wait for the perfect combo of cards (move, extra move, good concealment, rally and good terrain) before you move group B

2. Divide more evenly. Put the fire group in B still. But put 4 high moral guys in A and use them to advance for the victory conditions.

Let us know what you decided and how it worked out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-7 seems like a good idea. I would be very careful with trying to advance for victory conditions. Let the Japanese do the advancing and stay back and take advantage of your firepower at RR1. If I were to divide more evenly, it would be to be able to fire crossfire, not advancing for victory. I think it's very hard for the Americans to win on victory conditions in this scenario. But in Up Front everything is possible...

If these are thoughts before an actual game, I'd really like to hear how it went and what you chose to do.

Good luck!

R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This was an actual game situation that came up during one of the wargameroom's league games.

I set up 2-7. This let me put some firepower against all of his groups. But this set up is very risky. There is high probability that in an attack, it will pin at least one guy. That means moving is going to be tough. It also gives a really juicy target for any Wire that comes along. But I just didn't see any other way to lay this one down.

First turn, the Japanese in C lat move to D. I lat move B to C to compensate. In the next few turns he swaps A and B. I move both my groups forward and put them into some terrain. And hope that the position will hold throughout the 3 decks.

Luckily I was able to get some good opportunities to sideways move into some buildings and hold the ground well.

In hindsight, the key factor in this setup was getting the Americans to RR1 before the Japanese move forward. That meant the Americans were both in place and in firing range when the Japanese advanced into them. The Japanese couldnt sit at the distance because their guns didn't add any FP.

If the Japanese would have moved forward into some terrain and then late moved around with those starting moves, I think it would have been a totally different game with probably a different result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.