Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Introduction

Today's lunch started like many other days. Jeff, Jeremy and I broke out Dominion and chose 10 random kingdom cards to start our game. As I was pulling out the cards and they saw the chapel they weren't very excited. For some reason they think that all I ever do is go for a chapel deck and today was a great setup for a good chapel deck.

The cards:
Moat, Chapel, Chancellor, Workshop, Remodel, Spy, Moneylender, Mine, Laboratory, and Council Room.

Game #1

Of course I open up chapel and silver. Then come the comments about how I always play the same way and how bad of a setup it is. In the end I was the only one that went chapel deck, because they both hate it so much they don't usually play it, and I beat them pretty handily. Then both of them asked if we could switch the cards out, or at least the chapel.

By now I thought we had played enough Dominion that they would know that a chapel deck can be beat, even in this very favorable setup. So I promised them I wouldn't buy a chapel in the remaining games and that I would show them I could beat the chapel deck. They agreed and the challenge began.

Game #2

For my first attempt I decided to go big money to try and beat their chapel decks. This time both of them went for the chapel and actually got some really good decks going by the end. Going for pretty much money, with the occasional lab here and there I had a pretty good deck. I bought two provinces before they bought any. However, that is when the onslaught started. Of course playing off of my chapel deck in the first game they got up to 16 treasure, a council room and enough labs to draw their whole deck. This was giving them two buys and two provinces almost every turn. Luckily with two of them playing a council room every turn I got another hand with eight treasure to pick up my third province. I realized too late that the remodel could probably help out my cause, but I started buying it too late and I never got my remodel to show up with my gold. The game ended with Jeff buying the last province, and of course he was right before me and I had eight treasure in my hand again. Jeremy beat me by 5, but I had one more point than Jeff.

Game #3

This time I decided to make the remodel a bigger part of my game. I got a 5/2 split and it was really hard for me not to open lab/chapel. I did resist and started mine/nothing. I got a workshop with my next three treasure draw and used that to start getting remodels. I then started buying treasure and labs. Again I had two provinces before the two chapel decks started getting them. I knew I would have to get duchys in order to stay in the game so I started buying vp cards every turn. When one of my many remodels came up I would turn gold into a province or most of the time it was silver into a duchy. Jeff once again bought the last province, okay last two provinces at once. and it ended the game with Jeff winning and me being only two points behind. I had a three point lead over Jeremy. I was getting closer.

Game #4

We had enough time to play one last game before our lunch break was over. So one last chance to win like I told them I would. This time Jeff abandoned the chapel, but Jeremy stuck with it. I again got a 5/2 split and had to resist not getting a chapel. I started mine/nothing again. This time I bought a chancellor the first chance I got. This helped me out many times during the game, the extra treasure plus being able to shuffle my deck really helped out. I only bought one remodel mostly because I kept getting five or six treasure. However, the one remodel really paid off. I got it at the end of my deck once, but nothing good to remodel, thanks to a council room by Jeff I picked up one of my gold. This got me my second province. Then after shuffling my remodel came up again, and once again due to a council room I was able to draw a gold again for my third province. I knew Jeremy's chapel deck was about to start buying two provinces every turn and Jeff had a good lab/council room deck going, so I started buying duchys as much as I could. I did end up with one more province hand, but other than that it was a lot of estates and some duchys. The game ended again with Jeff buying the last province and with me having the highest score of the day. I beat Jeremy's chapel deck by 5 and Jeff was somewhere behind him.

Summary

Although I normally do a chapel/lab deck pretty much everytime in this situation, it was a lot of fun trying to beat it. Of course the chapel deck will win most of the time in this situation, I finally showed them that the "all mighty chapel" can be beat, even in a sub-optimal situation. Today was a very fun day and it was a great challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaak
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you referring to cellar? Chapel is "trash up to four cards." What cards do you trash? What is a chapel deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
There is a thread on how the Chapel deck works here

In short, you get rid of your low value cards like Copper and Estates so that each hand has more quality cards in it.

The amount of coin in your deck is irrelevant. The average coin in a hand is the important thing. For example, would you rather a deck with 20 copper or one with 5 gold? One is worth 20 and the other is only worth 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
In games 3 and 4, I found it curious that you bought nothing with the 2-end of a 5-2 split, then went on to buy Remodels.

If I'm planning to run Remodels in my deck, I would always buy an Estate rather than a Nothing... because it won't stay an Estate for long. At worst, it becomes another Remodel... then a Gold... then a Province.

IMHO the minor early stunt of adding one 'clog' to your deck is quickly mitigated by thge fact that your deck is running the card that turns clogs into useful cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
In games 3 and 4, I found it curious that you bought nothing with the 2-end of a 5-2 split, then went on to buy Remodels.

If I'm planning to run Remodels in my deck, I would always buy an Estate rather than a Nothing... because it won't stay an Estate for long. At worst, it becomes another Remodel... then a Gold... then a Province.

IMHO the minor early stunt of adding one 'clog' to your deck is quickly mitigated by thge fact that your deck is running the card that turns clogs into useful cards.

Good point. I probably should have done that, at least in game 3. It didn't really occur to me. The fourth game I didn't really want to do much remodeling, I was hoping the chancellor would come in handy, which it did. That game I only had 1 remodel in my deck, which got me a province twice in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.