Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt really bad about this on a cople of levels...

My parents were in town for a vist and I wanted to show my father the new turn of events on my miniatures hobby...

I recently got into the Langton 1/2400 ships. Excelent minis with great detail. The first one I painted and assembled was the USS Constitution... I did this for several reasons, first it was an American ship and second we are a Navy family where the men have served... So it just felt right.

Well my father is in his mid-70's and his hand dexterity is not what it used to be... While handling the Constitution it slipped from his fingers and fell to the table and then onto the floor. Panic raced through me as I thought about the cost of the miniature and the hours I had spent painting it... But in a flash I was over that and was more worried about his reaction. I quickly retrived the mangled mass and began straightening the masts. The aft mast broke upon straightening. I assured him that everthing was ok and that it was merely a thing that could easily be fixed or replaced... How much of his stuff had I broken or lost over the past 40+ years?

Later the next day I sat down to figure out how I could repair the damage. The break was in a bad location just under one of the horizontal mast joints. I super glued the area and it seems to be holding although I don't think she'll handle another fall without having a couple masts replaced.

All is ok in the end...

But this got me to thinking about when my two little ones start getting more curious about gaming and my miniatures. I have hundreds, maybe over a thousand (War Hammer, 10mm WWII, Clan War, D&D type figures...), and would like to share them with the kids. I used to be hyper sensative about who handled them and any potential damage that could result. I think I am totally over this after the dropped ship... These are just things, sure I'd like to keep them nice but they are meant to be handled and played with... Handling can sometimes mean damaged, broken or lost.

So the questions for the community are... How do you handle the maintenance of their miniatures and unfortunate events?... Especially with their children. Do you keep your special miniatures for yourself or do you share them with whomever you're gaming with? At what age is it appropriate to allow your kids to handle the miniatures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've found that for overall 'handlings' then several "PRE-coatings" or 'dippings', with some plastic lacquer-type of substance, does help reinforce these AND then doesn't require some 'primer' coating before commencing construction and painting. I'd get at least a quart CAN or however much you can afford on that. You can also then use regular "model glue" as well, to expedite this along with fixing any breakages later on. For 'gun barrels' or 'thinner' items, then replace such with straight pins cut to length and coated as before, since you can detail those better with additions to make them appear as they should.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the USS Constitution a couple of times, and it's so cool!

Next time I go on it, I might dress up as a pirate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just not a Barbary Coast pirate since that was one of her earlier missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.