Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel McCollum
United States
Augusta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You walk into your local game shop and see Gloom on the shelf. You recall from browsing on the geek while goofing off at work that it is a light card game about characters demise after being made as sad as possible. You think...
A) Light card game? Next please! I'm only interested in games with deep strategy where the best player always wins. Go to #1.
B) Not typically my cup of tea, but I'm always looking for a good filler. Go to #2.
C) I love light games like Munchkin and Chez Geek. Is this for me? Go to #3.

#1) This game is not for everyone (myself included.) It has a lot of luck in it. It isn't terribly well balanced. Despite its cool and original mechanics, the game doesn't feel that different than other light card games such as Chez Geek. The cards look great, but they get very scuffed in a hurry. If any of these things are deal breakers, move along now.

#2) What games do I tend to enjoy the most?
A) I like well polished games that are well balanced. What a game loses in originality it easily makes up for with solid, tight play. Go to #1.
B) I'm always looking for new mechanics or themes, even if the game isn't perfect. I get bored with the old and look for new things constantly. Go to #3.
C) Either way is fine by me... I'll take original or well constructed. Go to #4.

#3) Can I handle a darkly humorous theme about killing unhappy family members?
A) That sounds horrible! Go to #1.
B) That sounds horrible... sort of. Go to #4.
C) That sounds horribly fun! Go to #6.

#4) Am I willing to spend 20 bucks or more for a deck of cards, even if it is a cool transparent deck of cards?
A) I refuse! Go to #1.
B) I refuse to reject any game on its price tag! Go to #5.
C) I refuse to be without any cool deck of cards, no matter my debt. Go to #6.

#5) Take it or leave it. This is an OK game for the right audience, but is a bit expensive. It has a cool mechanic with the transparent cards, but it feels a lot like similar games (Munchkin, etc.) Make the call.

#6) It sounds like this was made for you. Want a darkly humorous light card game for someone always looking for something new? You found it, but realize this isn't for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever format.

A friend of mine bought the game and was impressed with everything but the cards, which he said scratched really easily and looked awful after. I'm a sucker for anything (pseudo-)Gorey, so kept it on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I greatly enjoyed my first couple of games of Gloom, the macabre sense of humour was just right for me. Repeated play, however, has left it falling flat. Once you've heard the humourously alliterative card names a few times they start to wear. Even the application of alcoholic beverages has failed to help.

Ultimately, the issue is that the game runs too long. It's tough to kill all your family members and too easy for the game to run on long past where it was fun (something I refer to as Munchkin-Zombies!!! Syndrome). It often degenerates into a frantic scramble through the discard deck to try and find that last Untimely Death.

I've heard that some of the expansions can alleviate this, but I have yet to try them. For me a game which is played purely for fun needs to be light and quick, Gloom definitely succeeds on the first, but may fail on the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

After my nephew had played Gloom with his friends quite a number of times, I thought I might be able to clean the cards a bit. Ha !
Fingerprints cause grease , surely that is obvious so: why make these cards so difficult to clean ? Maybe to buy another deck ! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game going long— (4 player game) after about three turns I released I wasnt going to win so I decided to play the card that would let someone else win! -I just had to keep track of the scores so when I played it the game would end and the person I wanted to win -would then win -luckily it was someone I knew!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on a clean table, so I have no problem with scratches.
Fingerprints are a bit of a pain, but they are easily removed with microfiber cloth for cleaning glas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.