Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a silly little game that we sometimes play. I have run it as a pbem game a few times, and I wouldn't mind doing it again here, possibly with a somewhat larger crowd than before. There is no real name for this; in German we have come to call it the "Zettelspiel", because when we play it face to face, we use "Zettel" (note papers) to pass messages. There aren't any Zettel involved when playing online. So no name beyond "No notepaper game" yet. Maybe someone else knows the game; if so, please let me know if there are other names or rule sets around.

Here are the rules:

- I will think of a word. For the first rounds, this will be a noun with a non-abstract meaning (could be "car", "boardgame", "dwarf" or whatever)

- From all players signing up, I will randomly determine some whom I will tell (by private message) what the word is. The other players will receive a message in which I will tell them that they don't know what the word is. I will not disclose how many players know and how many don't.

- All players will have a certain amount of time (say 24 hours? Open to discussion) to post a statement (in this thread) about the word. Those who know what the word is, are not allowed to tell lies. Everyone else just bluffs (by being very, very vague, for example: "I haven't seen one in the last five minutes" - could apply to all examples mentioned above. If the word is "computer screen", that statement would obviously be wrong)

- After everyone has made a statement, the players may choose to suspect other players of knowing or not knowing the word. This is done by private message to me, too. If the suspicion is correct, the suspected player is eliminated. If not, the suspecting player is out. I will only disclose who suspects anyone and who is out, but not who said what. There is no obligation to suspect anyone. I will also set some time limit for this, maybe 24 hours?

- After a round of suspicions, a new round of statements are started, and so on.

- Last player alive is the winner.

- Some more details:
* There will be a player order, and the suspicions will be made in order, so if someone is out before it is his/her turn to suspect anyone, tough luck. Starting player shifts to the next player after each turn.
* Many of you may think: Hey, the people not knowing don't have a chance here. Be advised that if someone says something obviously wrong and you immediately kick him/her out, you will draw a lot of attention to yourself. The game does work. Try it out.
* No table talk! This destroys the game!

Anyone interested in trying this out? Sign up by posting a reply to this thread. For the first round, I am thinking 8 to 12 people would be ideal. If there is enough interest, I am considering larger rounds in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not quite getting it, but I would be willing to give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one else interested in trying something new? I will happily give more information; just sign up, I will guide you through the first few rounds, the game is really easy once you're in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give it a go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sign me up! Would it mess up the game if any of the players are gone for a weekend here or there? I might be going to some small gaming conventions in the region, and would be away from the web here and there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for signing up. I have no problem with taking a break for a day or two if someone asks for it, so don't worry about that. But three players won't do - I will wait for another little while. If we don't get at least five players, I would bury this project. More would be better, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm away from home for another few days, but would give it a go next week when I have more time and a better internet connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have an idea of what we're doing here.

I'll put my name in.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first game, the player order is the order of signing up, I'd say. So we have:

1. Howitzer_120mm
2. Lukie
3. MIB 8686
4. Cringing Dragon
5. gvchief

I will start the game as soon as Cringing Dragon is back online. In the meantime, more people signing up are very welcome. Five is really the absolute minimum for this. So join up, everyone, it's little work and much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For your next game, I suggest you post this to chit chat. I think it would get a lot better reception there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that suggestion - I posted a notice there. Let's see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'll give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh go on then. I'll try anything once....

... I've said too much... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
I will start the game as soon as Cringing Dragon is back online. In the meantime, more people signing up are very welcome. Five is really the absolute minimum for this. So join up, everyone, it's little work and much fun.
Thursday morning my time (~46 hours from now) I should be available. My Thursday morning is Wednesday evening in North America, and sometime Wednesday night in Europe. We're scattered all over the world, so we're unlikely to all be online at once.
If I'm the deciding factor for starting time then HilkMAN you could start Wednesday afternoon/evening or Thursday morning Germany time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here we go. We have seven players who signed up in this order:

1. Howitzer_120mm
2. Lukie
3. MIB 8686
4. Cringing Dragon
5. gvchief
6. Leezer
7. solove

I just sent each of you a geekmail. Some of you now know the item, others only know that they don't know the item. Everyone should now make a statement about the item. The order of statements is irrelevant, the turn order only matters for the second phase, the suspicions phase. I would say the deadline is in about 24 hours - please don't wait for others just so you can see what they say first. The best way to get a feeling for this game is to just start playing. Once everyone has made a statement, I will give more instructions for the second phase.

If in any round you know that you won't be online for a while, please just let me know, we can either pause the game or you can send me a backup statement per geekmail.

Have fun!
HilkMAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spokes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It can come in many different sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It can be useful in certain situations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't needed to use one in over a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
They're not so useful in the dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the quick statements (much less than 24 hours, and I am online - so we can proceed).
So welcome to phase 2 of the game:

Each of you can send me a geekmail in which you suspect one player of either knowing what the item is or not knowing what the item is (in the form: "I think XYZ doesn't know" or "I am sure that ZYX knows" or something similar). If your assumption is right, that player is out; if it is wrong, you're out.

Please do not say anything about your suspicions in this thread; just by geekmail. You may refrain from uttering a suspicion altogether if you don't have a clue who is bluffing and who isn't or if you don't want other players to notice you do have a clue or for whatever other reason. There are no points for kicking anyone out, but the last person standing will be the winner.

I will deal with the suspicions in player order, so if howitzer_120mm kicks someone out, that person's suspicions won't be counted. I will publish the results of the suspicion phase in about 24 hours or after I have received everyone's geekmail. To speed things up, please also geekmail me if you don't want to suspect anyone, so I won't be waiting for you.

Looking forward to your messages!
HilkMAN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we choose to suspect someone during this round, we can only pick one person at this time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, only one person per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.