Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I've come to the realization that I won't have any trouble with ideas for new fighters (thanks to your guys' input). However, I will have trouble coming up with names for the new expansions.

This is where you come in.

I need ideas for the names of the next few expansions of Chunky Fighters. All expansions are going to contain four new fighters. I am thinking of possibly adding special rules to the new fighters on an individual basis (nothing too drastic, just enough to spice up the game). Also, all of the expansions' names have to follow the example set by Extra Chunky.

Chunky Fighters EX: Extra Chunky (the example)
Chunky Fighters SX: Super Chunky
Chunky Fighters HX: Chunk Harder
Chunky Fighters HX: Heavy Chunk
Chunky Fighters DX: Chunky Deluxe
Chunky Fighters ??: ????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
Re: Expansion names
Chunky Fighters JX: Junky Chunky - the battle of big mechas.

Silly. I know. Though I'm not exactly sure if there is a sense in adding more BGG entries, and adding more and more expansions consisting of 4 new warriors. Why not ADD new warriors to the Chunky Fighters EX: Extra Chunky expansion and add version number to the name. It would be way cooler to have everything in one place, not like: "I now got Chunky Fighters v2. AND Chunky Fighters FX, ZX, 7X, HX, Ux, uX and so on, and so on...". Maybe it's better to say: "I got Chunky Fighters and Expansion. Total 12 warriors."

What I mean, why make simple things complicated?
Or did I get something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I see what you're saying. Just expand on the expansion, right?

I'm trying to model the game's distribution how I imagine it would be if it were sold in stores. I figured that if I saw Chunky Fighters a store, each expansion would be playable by itself, independent of the original. So if I am in a store looking at the game and three expansions all hanging on the rack, I could pick the one or two that I like best.

And maybe my friend got the original pack and EX pack, and I got EX and SX (or whatever). We could not only play together, but we could trade individual fighters. For instance, imagine I liked all the fighters in the SX pack except the Bear. My friend offered to trade me his Soldier for the Bear and I'm going to do it because I like the idea of having two Soldiers on a team and I didn't want the Bear anyways.

So that was my thinking on the expansions. I understand what you're saying about multiple BGG entries. But if each game can be played completely by itself, without knowledge of the others, and there is an "expanded by" feature for game entries, why not use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
I see.
Though at the moment we are not in the store. I thought that it would be easier, more suitable for users to download their fighters in one place. Naming the sets individually (4 fighters in the set) and uploading files in original Chunky Fighters would work too.
But I understand that this is your decision as a designer. I didn't get at first the whole name-set connection. It would maybe do even more sense if expansions as stand-alones would provide some indyvidual rules. (example I got Chunky Fighters Original and Chunky Fighters JX: Jurassic Chunks, and my friend has Chunky Fighters Original, and Chunky Fighters RX: Robo-Chunky. My expansions provides special rules for carnivores/herbivores. His expansion provides rules about electroshocks. When we meet we play by the Original Rules)

On the other hand, notice that as a PnP game - you don't have to print a Bear, just print two Soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a good point. For online distribution here on BGG, it does make a lot more sense to just have each expansion as new files in under the original Chunky Fighters. Hmm... now I wonder if I should change it.

I like you idea the more I think about it. This way, all the focus can be on the original entry. It would get a lot more traffic. You wouldn't have to jump between entries to view each expansion. Yes, this is a much better idea.

So how can I delete a game entry? Is this possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
I guess it is.
One of the Admins manage the game entries. I wrote to him once. Hmmm.
That would be Dan Blum.
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge

You should ask him also to move all forum entries and files, so nothing will be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, right after posting I looked him up. We're getting it straightened out right now. I hope they can move the forum and files as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of having each expansion (or individual characters) include an extra rule/special power. More incentive for making up the new characters, and more decisions when choosing a team of fighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
I love the idea of having each expansion (or individual characters) include an extra rule/special power. More incentive for making up the new characters, and more decisions when choosing a team of fighters.

I agree to that. New (minor) rules would really spice up the game and make each expansion a bit more fun than just new characters would do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grautur wrote:
sq498 wrote:

I agree to that. New (minor) rules would really spice up the game and make each expansion a bit more fun than just new characters would do.

I agree with both of you. I think one expansion following the same rules as the original set is enough. From now on I can explore little different nuances within the game's mechanics.

Martin (kuhflecken) suggested having a giant fighter four dice tall instead of three. I thought that was interesting. I was also thinking of having a fighter with a wider variety of possible hit points (like 1-5 on all parts, including body). This would give that fighter the possibility of being really strong but also easy to kill.

Here are some more ideas I had been thinking of:
-A fighter that cannot be healed (zombie?)
-A fighter that can only be killed once all three parts are destroyed (slime?)
-A weaker fighter who's attacks cannot be blocked at all.
-Fighters who can be killed by losing different dice (like losing legs is lethal, or losing head is not lethal, etc.)
-A fighter that can recover lost body parts.
-A fighter that has greater first aid skills or can heal others lost body parts.
-Changing the called shot rules for a fighter so that if the called shot fails, the attack is not an entire miss (this would have to be balanced)
-A fighter who can sacrifice himself or a body part to deal damage (exploding body/parts)
-A fighter with the ability to strike multiple fighters or multiple parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like those ideas. A few more:

-A duo that is really strong together but once one is killed the other one becomes weak.
-A dwarf or something else that is small and is only 2 dice tall: More difficult to hit but has some other weakness to even things out. (Could be in the same expansion as the 4 dice tall giant so everything fits in the box)
-A fighter that boosts other players (their weapon becomes stronger or something like that) but is weak himself (this one is similar to the duo idea).
-A fighter that is even more random, his attacks are likely to miss but when he hits it does more damage than normal fighters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are good. I think we're making some good progress. I came up with some more:

-A fighter that can heal after making a successful attack (vampire?)
-A fighter whose attacks gets stronger the lower his hit points are.
-A fighter that can swap weapons with another fighter.
-A fighter that can restrain an opponent (loses specific actions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chunky Fighters MX: Chunky Monkey

It had to be said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second expansion's official name is: Chunky Fighters MX: Mega Chunky

Time to get pumped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.