Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was inspired by this geeklist...

Though there are tons and tons of games around on BGG and even elsewhere, I am wondering what games are you as (wannabe)players missing? Is there a niche that is unexplored or explored only lightly in this industry?

What settings would be nice to have for a change?
Which themes are unheard of?
What type of games would you like to play?

Feel free to dream on and even cross-connect different games already out there to create any desirable hybrids you would want to play one day...

Give your mind a spin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that a few more eastern front wargames are sorely needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
Greece
Marousi
Athens
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could play some sci-fi games and a couple of wargames but my gaming group has no interest in sci-fi and I don't know if I have the time or energy to get into wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I became enamoured of In the Year of the Dragon and Zombie in my Pocket. Their constant assaults of bad news were gleefully evil. Given the subsequent popularity of Pandemic and Ghost Stories, I'd say such withstand-the-worst conceits are pretty marketable right now.

I'd like to see a game in which players have to outlast the wrath of a particularly nasty mother nature, preferably in a bleak northern setting. Just don't make it cooperative gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
bolter wrote:
I think that a few more eastern front wargames are sorely needed.

Joke, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

Though there are tons and tons of games around on BGG and even elsewhere, I am wondering what games are you as (wannabe)players missing? Is there a niche that is unexplored or explored only lightly in this industry?

What settings would be nice to have for a change?
Which themes are unheard of?
What type of games would you like to play?

I think it'd be very refreshing if people would finally get their fill of the endless "variations on a theme" and realize what great gaming can be had with just a deck of standard playing cards, a box of dominoes, or even a handful of six-sided dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick, I for myself prefer themed games instead of regular playing cards.

It might be that presentation works for me better, than sheer abstractness. That is also why I like only a few abstract games while there are plenty of them out there (for instance I quite like Alien City, Homeworlds, original Icehouse and maybe 1 or 2 other Icehouse games, not any other of those 200+ ones that there are).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I think it'd be very refreshing if people would finally get their fill of the endless "variations on a theme" and realize what great gaming can be had with just a deck of standard playing cards, a box of dominoes, or even a handful of six-sided dice.

Play BASHNIKI and enjoy the Holy Trinity of great gaming combined into one breathtaking game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Patrick, I for myself prefer themed games instead of regular playing cards.

So do most other people. But since we're just dreaming in this thread, I'm dreaming of the day when the world will grow tired of all the explicit themes and long for something abstract--and then remember that such games have existed for centuries, and welcome them back again.

Probably won't happen in my lifetime, but . . .

There's a parallel in the field of drama. Up through Shakespeare's day, actors appeared onstage in everyday dress, and there were few props. They could have had special costumes and scenery and such; it just wasn't part of their culture. Though a play might ostensibly be set in some particular time and place, the setting was often fictitious; and in any case, the play was supposed to be about something timeless. But today's audiences demand realistic costumes, scenery, and everything; nothing can be implied or suggested, but it has to be explicitly shown in graphic detail. Hence, almost nothing seems timeless; it's all topical and ephemeral.

Games haven't gone that far (except for simulational wargames and RPGs and such), but people do seem to crave some semblance of theme at least. Even if the theme is something as boring as farming.

Sometimes I like not being tied down to any theme; I like to let my imagination soar free, so the game can mean anything at all (or nothing, for that matter).

But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But that's just me.

Agreed wholeheartedly. You got my .01bag for voicing yourself in such a manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a sleekly designed game, with deep gameplay, that's playable in around 2 hours (some of the traits of a Euro). Along with gameplay that thoroughly evokes the theme of sci-fi or fantasy (which includes alt-history, zombies, pirates, etc), along with lavish component quality (some of the traits of Ameritrash). *No Co-Op, overly random, unbalanced, non-violent, and/or "boring" games.

Anything FFG is either exempt from lack of sleekness or is too long.
Days of Wonder manages to create bland theme (BattleLore lacks fantasy, and Small World has skeletons with cowboy hats)

I want a Games Workshop game designed by Uwe Rosenberg.

I've been working on filling this niche and should be publishing games "shortly" (Soon™). Unfortunately I have to start small with card games because of financial reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are not many games, if not any, about:

-The Huns
-Davinci Code (genre) stuff
-American and South-American independence wars
-Cuban revolution
-Canada!!!
-Precolombine American cultures
-Indochina
-Big foot
-The Neverending Story
-Assassins
-North-American native civilizations
-French Revolution
-Holy Roman German Empire
-Cristopher Columbus
-Celtic Druids
-Counter-terrorist and anti-drug forces
-Napoleon III and Mexico
-A real transformers games (not Risk or Monopoly)
-Incan Empire
-Genghis Khan

Edit:

-Speed Racer
-Thundercats
-Casa Blanca
-JFK
-And a game based on Enemy at the Gates
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romian wrote:

Nice ideas!
Do you hear, game designers? Hunh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romian Tuesta-Vilca
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:
Romian wrote:

Nice ideas!
Do you hear, game designers? Hunh?

Mmmm, sorry but I do not really understand. Would you mind explaining your comment further please? Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
I want a Games Workshop game designed by Uwe Rosenberg.

This is pure genius. How about a sci-fi skirmish game designed by Uwe that lets you use all of the 2nd edition 40k miniatures that a sitting around. That would be supreme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
lamplite wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
I'd like to see a game in which players have to outlast the wrath of a particularly nasty mother nature, preferably in a bleak northern setting. Just don't make it cooperative gulp

I could get into a game like this if it included a monster or alien like John Carpenter's The Thing. Step up the effect of nasty mother nature and in the end it's every man for himself and could have some deduction to consider with not knowing who was infected or a sim created by the thing. Guns and flamethrowers mandatory.
I would love it if there weren't any rules against cooperation, and the rulebook even encouraged it a bit, but only one person wins. Diplomacy in the frozen North.

With flamethrowers ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
- More exploration of programmed movement/activity. There seems to be a ton of unexplored design space here.

- I also quite like games in which there's a building component which happens solitaire (I'm thinking of designing mechs in battletech when I was a kid, and building decks in Magic more recently--perhaps it must end in /-eks/?) and which is both deep and interesting, but in which the game is by comparison simple and brief.

- Castle design seems like an ideal theme for this. For some reason, building a city or castle seems like one of the more commonly pasted-on themes, which results in frustration for those of us with a pugnacious inner civil engineer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I would like some good esoteric games that aren't in a parody theme.
-Conspiracies
-Cryptozoology
-Secret Societies
-Lost Civilizations

I guess most of those are covered under conspiracies. It's just that those themes are really intriguing to me and while I know they're popular, I just can't get into worker placement type games that I know they would turn one about Lost Civilizations into, they would have to be more action oriented, almost "Ameritrash" to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neglected settings
Egyptian themed games, not many out there, need more in this area. A lot of stuff could be done with pyramids, and the whole rich Egyptian culture.

Games set in the Old West with gunfighters, banditos, gold diggers, etc. A neglected setting.

A science fiction themed game on colonizing mars.

Chariot racing in the Roman empire, I know a game was done a long time ago but its about time for a new game with this theme.

Gladiator combat in an arena, well detailed with different fighting style gladiators to choose from and different weapons to select from.

A similar theme but with medieval knights in one on one combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dalton
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A sci-fi-themed Command and Colors system game. Either space fleets duking it out in space, or Warhammer 40kish troops fighting for objectives on bombed out planets. They made Battlelore. Now... why not Battlelore 40,000? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.