Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Auftragstaktik rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Diego Pérez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A IIWW operational wargame that respects the auftragstaktik?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diegoperez wrote:
A IIWW operational wargame that respects the auftragstaktik?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_control

I would say that Fields of Fire does implement this to a certain extend, using activation of lower HQs.
- Co HQ activates Pln HQ
- Pln HQ gets some command points
- Pln HQ uses these command points to accomplish its task

off course, as the player is and the Co HQ and the Pln HQ (it is a solo game) the principle is not completely implemented.

One could imagine, however, a way to play FoF with multiple players: one playing the Co HQ and others playing the Pln HQs, and giving those the possibility to achieve a target/perform an action rather than obey an order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carnes
United States
Woodbridge
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good multi-player game where players fill positions in a "chain of command" and where auftragstaktik is integrated into how players communicate orders with one another might be the best way to experience this concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TCS uses written orders. See http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Tactical_Combat_Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackhorse wrote:
A good multi-player game where players fill positions in a "chain of command" and where auftragstaktik is integrated into how players communicate orders with one another might be the best way to experience this concept.

Doesn't the 8-player version of Memoir '44 work this way? I know it does in Commands & Colors: Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carnes
United States
Woodbridge
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dweeb wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:

Doesn't the 8-player version of Memoir '44 work this way? I know it does in Commands & Colors: Ancients.

A colleague of mine played the eight-player Memoir '44 and gave it extremely high praise for the command and control component of the game, so I would say "yes" it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Pérez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the recommendations. E thought that in fact many games can be played well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed reading your recent World War II forum threads.

Please buy yourself a nice WWII microbadge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Dweeb wrote:

Seems to me written orders would more or less be the opposite of Auftragstaktik...

My recommendation for an operational level WWII game would be OpCom, here:
http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/index.htm

Also worth taking a look at Jim's other set of WWII rules "STONK". Set at a brigade level (units are companies)

Either would allow for implementing Auftragstaktik given enough players to run multiple levels of command.

It could be argued that most wargames allow it in an odd way, by virtue of the fact that one player is playing at every level of command.

From a mechanics point of view, lots of games give the Germans "+1"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carnes
United States
Woodbridge
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is waaay off-topic, but Bob, that website you linked to is bloody awesome!! I'm going to grab many of the rules and games that are posted. The Military Memoir game, in particular, looks like a real hoot. Thanks!

And...back on topic... I agree that written orders may seem counter-intuitive to Auftragstaktik. That said, the mechanic works well in the TCS series, and the ability to rapidly change plans (or not!) is taken into account.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
He has some good rules there Chris. Try his tank game where 4 players control one tank sometime if you can get enough bodies.
Have you been to http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/ ?

Point taken on TCS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.