Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Norman
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a wargame to try out and see if I like. I already play more than a few board games and I wanted to find a good wargame to see if I like this area of boardgames as much as I like the rest.

Ideally i'm looking for one that can be played 1 player and is set in pretty much any period apart from recent history (i'm not particularly interested in anything from Napoleonic onwards really).

I'm particularly interested in the Japanese feudal era and Ming dynasty China so if there's any good wargames set in those times, i'd be very interested in trying them out.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mosdal
United States
Hanover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Most Dangerous Time: Japan in Chaos, 1570-1584

This is brand new. I haven't had time to play it yet but I've set it up. It looks very pretty. It's card driven. Not ideal for solo play perhpas, but... anyway, worth a look.

RAN

This is a hex-and-counter game. This is going to be more complex but it's an intereseting system. Gotta love a game where your leaders can call out other leaders and cut off their heads if they win personal combats (within the context of the great battle going on around them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Turner
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre is worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Warriors of God is in reprint right now and has no hidden information -- ideal for solo play. The setting is the 100 Years War. Simple ruleset, fundamentally about controlling the landscape, intense play, games run 2-4 hours depending on your play style. I play most of my games solo and enjoy them very much.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vignuzzi
Canada
Burritts Rapids
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.

I can't comment on the Chinese/Japanese games as I have never played them.

If you travel back in time a little more, I quite like these two:

Commands & Colors: Ancients for tactical play (with cards to control actions) and an initial foray into maneuver games; and,
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage for card driven game play and area control games.

If either of these whet your appetite, you are off to the races (IMHO).

Cheers,

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for tactical games (games on individual battles) or strategic (games on particular campaigns or entire wars)? I'm mostly into the first category, so I'll limit my recommendations to those.

There aren't many tactical games on Japanese battles. There are the Richard Berg's Samurai and RAN which would probably solo OK, but aren't what I would consider "starter" wargames.

There's a new one that's just been published, Kawanakajima 1561, that's a completely different series. I haven't played it yet. You might have a look at the publisher's web site and download the rules before you buy.

Another couple to try are:

Ancients is a generic set of rules for ancient and medieval battles. There are several Japanese (and I think, Chinese) scenarios available. This game has now been made available for free download at:
http://relativerange.com

There is an updated version of the game with nicer counters and new rules called Ancient Battles Deluxe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of Columbia Games block games. Pick an era that interests you.

Link to Columbia games here on the Geek.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/49

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darksan wrote:
One of Columbia Games block games. Pick an era that interests you.

This may sound sarcastic but it's a serious question -- which way do you face the blocks when you're playing solo?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mb
re: Columbia Games.

Switch chairs. Or, if your table is against the wall, set it up on a Lazy Susan that's big enough so you can gently spin it around.

I made my own lazy susan for this reason.

Go here for the plans:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/lazysusa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Luta
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, someone actually set reasonable conditions for a wargame...

Usually people post this sort of topic and want a wargame that is easy to learn, with good detail, has lots of strategic (or tactical) depth, is scalable from 1 to 8 players, and is playable in under two hours....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of GMT's Great Battles of History would fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob Mosdal wrote:

This is brand new. I haven't had time to play it yet but I've set it up. It looks very pretty. It's card driven. Not ideal for solo play perhpas, but... anyway, worth a look.

AMDT is a great game and very challenging; however, it cannot really be played solo. Part of the game mechanic are cards that allow you to cause your opponents leaders to switch sides and bring their armies with them. So it is possible to attack a fortress and find out that your attacking armies just became part of the defending army. However, if you can find an opponent I highly recommend this game since it fits your preferred theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Valk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
There is an updated version of the game with nicer counters and new rules called Ancient Battles Deluxe

Agreed, this is a great game. Ancient Battles Deluxe Expansion Kit 4: The Art of War is due out this year and will include a few scenarios from ancient China.

Also consider Victory Point's Caesar XL, a strategic look at the Roman Civil War. Columbia Games' Julius Caesar covers the same subject and is available for pre-order, but it's more expensive.

From your pocketbook's point of view, start with one of Victory Point Games' titles first to see if you even like wargames before spending the big bucks:
http://victorypointgames.com/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Another couple to try are:

Ancients is a generic set of rules for ancient and medieval battles. There are several Japanese (and I think, Chinese) scenarios available. This game has now been made available for free download at:
http://relativerange.com

Wow, thanks! I didn't know it had been republished. I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendation, as I have used my old Ancients set as an introductory game for new wargamers many times.

Also, if it has not already been mentioned, Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 has just been republished in English. Though it's not a wargame in the traditional American style (ala 1960s-1990s) in that it lacks die rolls, zones of control, etc. (and the counters look a little wierd), it is very tactical and up to four can play. I highly recommend this game to anyone; Z-Man Games did an excellent job recreating and expanding this game from Poland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Norman
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markluta wrote:
Usually people post this sort of topic and want a wargame that is easy to learn, with good detail, has lots of strategic (or tactical) depth, is scalable from 1 to 8 players, and is playable in under two hours....

Doesn't everyone want this kind of game? Shame it doesn't exist really :)

I've picked up a copy of Ran now and, once i've punched out the endless piles of counters, i'll post a session report from the POV of someone who's completely new to wargames (well, i've played Memoir '44 with a friend a few times).

I'm also planning on getting C&C:A at some point and giving that a go too.

Thanks for all the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Olivieri
Italy
Negrar, Verona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Hannibal was a better choice... but let we know how RAN work as your first wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron19 wrote:
I've picked up a copy of Ran now and, once i've punched out the endless piles of counters, i'll post a session report from the POV of someone who's completely new to wargames (well, i've played Memoir '44 with a friend a few times).

Ran has been my first wargame too, so it is possible to learn it. However, the rules are sometimes a mess, so don't hesitate to ask in the Ran forum if you have problems with them. (Also have a look at my step by step explanation of how shock attack with multiple units works.)

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not exactly what you were asking for, but given your username - have you tried War of the Ring (First Edition)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
sauron19 wrote:
I'm looking for a wargame to try out and see if I like. I already play more than a few board games and I wanted to find a good wargame to see if I like this area of boardgames as much as I like the rest.

Ideally i'm looking for one that can be played 1 player and is set in pretty much any period apart from recent history (i'm not particularly interested in anything from Napoleonic onwards really).

I'm particularly interested in the Japanese feudal era and Ming dynasty China so if there's any good wargames set in those times, i'd be very interested in trying them out.

Thanks in advance.

Come on - give me some hints!!!

How long do you want the game to take to play? Are you interested in tactical, operational or strategic level games?

There is a massive variation in the wargames that are available. Also, what is the most complicated that you play and enjoy? Generally speaking wargames are more complex than the average wargame. It may be wise to start with an introductory level game as they tend to be simpler and provide a good springboard into more complex games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Seifert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
Generally speaking wargames are more complex than the average wargame.

Actually, generally speaking, wargames are exactly as complex as the average wargame. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Seifert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw in a vote for Britannia, as it's the one that got me hooked. So much so that I'm now working through the ASLSK3 tutorial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Japanese Feudal? New one just out from Hexasim:

Kawanakajima 1561

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob Mosdal wrote:

Not card driven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Lighthouse Beach
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
kiffist wrote:
da pyrate wrote:
Generally speaking wargames are more complex than the average wargame.

Actually, generally speaking, wargames are exactly as complex as the average wargame. laugh

The average rule book for a wargame tends to be considerably longer than the rule book for a non-wargame and the number of pieces that can be moved is also greater. Both indicate to me that there are more choices to be made in a wargame and so a higher level of complexity.

What reason do you have for thinking the complexity level is the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:

Come on - give me some hints!!!

How long do you want the game to take to play? Are you interested in tactical, operational or strategic level games?

If you would read the OP's answer only a few posts before yours, you would have noted that he already has found a game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.