17 Posts

Tikal» Forums » General

Subject: Should we Buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello, my partner and I are relatively new to the world of real board games however we have been completely enthralled with it. For the past year we have been playing El Grande, Carcasonne and ticket to ride and are ready to make the next purchase.

I was hoping you fine folks could give us some suggestions/opinions. Currently we are thinking either:
1. Tikal
2. Cosmic Encounter or
3. Stone Age

What to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely get Stone Age. It's the best bang for your buck. Plays 2 to 4 players and non-gamers will enjoy it aswell.

Just a note: Cosmic Encounter is not 2 players (yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Tikal is great. One of my favourites.
You'll hear people talk of turns being over analyzed by players leading to a lot of down time, but i've never experienced this.

The theme is fantastic.
You'll love the action point mechanism.

Really can't recommend it highly enough.

A classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

If you like El Grande Tikal will be an excellent purchase.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
napalmgame wrote:
Currently we are thinking either:
1. Tikal
3. Stone Age

What to do?

Buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Rowe
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
whoa
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you should give this list a browse:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19346

And, in my personal opinion, Stone Age is a great game but can get a bit tedious if you're just playing it primarily with 2 people. I would consider getting a different worker placement game, like Agricola, over it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim OConnor
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nick,

My wife and I like both Stone Age and Tikal, but Tikal would be my pick.

Tikal is also available to play online if you want to try before you buy it at http://www.spielbyweb.com/ My wife and I play online from time to time, so if you and your partner want to try let me know and I'll set up a 4 player game for us.

Cheers, Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daric Morris
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal and Stone Age are going to be more like what you already have. But Cosmic is one of my personal favorites.
How many players do you normally have? Cosmic needs 4-5 to be really enjoyable, Tikal & Stone Age only go to four and are good with 3-4.
I'd recommend Tikal if you want something more cerebral but Cosmic if you want something with more passion and emotion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks to all for the hasty replies - BGG appears to have a great community going. Normally are group has a minimum of 4 players so it sounds like we really can't lose with any of these. On my way out to pick one up now - possibly two (providing stock is available). Thanks for the invite and the link Tim - will have to check out the online if i can't grab a hard copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Nick. I just wanted to mention that Tikal plays great with 2, 3, or 4 players. I've never played Stone Age with 2, so I can't say how well it works. Cosmic can't be played with only 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age with 2 is not so good, but with 3 or 4 it's one of my absolute favorites.

Tikal with 2... look up the rules for "Mini-Tikal" here on this site. Tikal is best with 4. It's also best -- after your first few games -- with a variant that is also posted on this site (it's the one where you get to choose between two possible tiles on your turn..)

Stay away from the "auction version".. it's a very overengineered gaming experience (read: LONG).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
kevinb9n wrote:

Stay away from the "auction version".. it's a very overengineered gaming experience (read: LONG).

Amen to that. It sucks the soul out of the game.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also suggest Tikal. I own both stone age and tikal.

Tikal gets a thumbsup for theme. You are an explorer uncovering mayan treasures. In stone age you are a brutish clan of pre-historians building up your 'village'.

Stone age gets a thumbsup for art. It is gorgeous while tikal was great in the 90s stone age is a level above.

Stone age also gets a thumbsup for componants. Loads of wood and a nice heavy board. Tikal again due to the 90s which was good at the time has nice card componants but they feel thinner and not as durable.

Tikal gets a thumbsup for interest. While I enjoy stone age and I do get taken in by the the actions of building my village it does not seem to be as absorbing tikal. Seeing expirienced stone age players play is a sight to behold, people placing cavemeeples and resolving actions simultaneously; a whirlwind of wood componants flying about. Tikal is a little more thoughfull placing tiles and exploring the jungle.

I have never seemed to get past stone age as a time occupier while I feel more satisfied by plays of tikal. Maybe its the fact that you uncover the temples and they physically grow where in stone age you end with a bunch of cavemeeples and a pile of cards and a pile of building tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say if you've been playing El Grande and Carc then Tikal is a no-brainer. Stone Age might be a hit or not. It doesn't have anything in common with what you've been playing already. Cosmic seems unlikely, but again, it doesn't match your current games (at all) so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I bought Tikal today (have not opened the box yet) and wondered why Mihal does not think it is not a good 2 player game ?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Tikal. It's a great, thematic game, that plays out differently every game. I really feel like I am exploring a jungle when playing Tikal. I've also tried Cosmic Encounter, and I was really underwhelmed by it. Perhaps I was in a bad mood, but I never felt like I was doing much of anything in space. I like Tikal's decisions more.

I haven't tried Stone Age, but it's high on my list of must plays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

I bought Tikal today (have not opened the box yet) and wondered why Mihal does not think it is not a good 2 player game ?

Thanks in advance.

We thought Tikal was fine for two using the Fort Worth variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.