Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K P Impsta wrote:
This isn't Dominion!!!!!!!!

This is The Simpsons!!!!

Very Poor.

Well yes, that card was taken from the 5th, Simpson-themed expansion, called "Dominion: Crustyland". If you don't like it then I guess the 6th one, "Dominion: Blockout" which is entirely lego-themed, will appeal to you even less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
K P Impsta wrote:

This is The Simpsons!!!!

Very Poor.

I'm with Mik, he's a bit of an icon in our hobby, much like Vohwinkel.

I recognized the artwork right away.

People really need to stop bashing his art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter who it is, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Where else are you going to discuss the art for Dominion: Intrigue other than The Geek? While I love Maura's art, I don't think this is his best work.

Honestly, I think that the art direction for the entire line is strange. This seems more like they picked reliable boardgame artists that they knew, rather than having a plan for the complete package. This certainly affords quite a bit of flexibility for future expansions.

When you do this, you can get artists that would normally be too expensive or too busy to tackle a project like this. My feeling is, though if you follow this method, you should be knocking out of the park. I'd look at this as a chance to get my favorite illustrators that I wouldn't normally get to work with in boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be less of an issue as more and more expansions are added and the variety of artwork increases. Look at Magic: you'd have an Anson Maddocks card right next to a Phil Foglio card and no one would think twice about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
This will be less of an issue as more and more expansions are added and the variety of artwork increases. Look at Magic: you'd have an Anson Maddocks card right next to a Phil Foglio card and no one would think twice about it.

Actually there were several similar complaints about Phil Foglio's illustrations 15 years ago!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well dominion really dont do a good job with the design in general,
see the tresure cards (they shouldnt be the same whatever excuse some says), the cards should have a common feel in the art, or all comic look or all serious look or something in the middle,
thats my opinion.

And thats why the game shouldnt take so many high ranks, because a game's rank is for the whole package not only if the game as mechanism is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
If you don't like it then I guess the 6th one, "Dominion: Blockout" which is entirely lego-themed, will appeal to you even less.

I would so buy a Lego-themed Dominion expansion. I can even think already how the cards would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K P Impsta wrote:

This is The Simpsons!!!!

Very Poor.

Which top 10 game's expansion did you create art for again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
mythos999 wrote:

And thats why the game shouldnt take so many high ranks, because a game's rank is for the whole package not only if the game as mechanism is good.

The funny thing about opinions is that not everyone has to agree on them. I personally think the treasure cards are far more functional being a uniform color, for example.

The complaints you (and a vocal minority of others) have detailed don't bother most other people, and thus the game is ranked right where it should be - at the average of the opinions of all the people who have rated it.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
The complaints you (and a vocal minority of others) have detailed don't bother most other people, and thus the game is ranked right where it should be - at the average of the opinions of all the people who have rated it.

Actually, it is possible to rank the game highly and still find the graphic presentation less than satisfactory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
Octavian wrote:

Actually, it is possible to rank the game highly and still find the graphic presentation less than satisfactory.

That's true too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
K P Impsta wrote:

This is The Simpsons!!!!

Very Poor.

No kidding. This is what I think every time I read one of Roger Ebert's reviews. He should shut up until he's made a great film.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
Jexik wrote:
K P Impsta wrote:

This is The Simpsons!!!!

Very Poor.

No kidding. This is what I think every time I read one of Roger Ebert's reviews. He should shut up until he's made a great film.

shake

...or a terrible one. In which case, your example actually fails, because Ebert wrote the screenplay for the execrable (yet somehow wildly amusing) Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, giving him the inside track on identifying bad moviemaking.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:

Yeah, in some of the older sets this was pretty bad. In more recent sets Wizards has tightened up the art direction so that there aren't as many cards with jarringly out of place art. I guess the power of becoming a giant corporation is that you can tell people how to draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
I guess the power of becoming a giant corporation is that you can tell people how to draw.

You mistyped, "I guess the downside of becoming a giant corporation is that you end up homogenizing everything."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
Jexik wrote:
K P Impsta wrote:

This is The Simpsons!!!!

Very Poor.

shake

I love Beyond the Valley of the Dolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
It's not Maura's artwork that i am criticizing, but it's inclusion in Dominion.

Imagine an expansion for Cash'n'Guns which had a single character card featuring a photograph of Robert De Niro out of Godfellas. The whole style would jar with the rest of the components.

It's about maintaining an atmosphere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
K P Impsta wrote:
Imagine an expansion for Cash'n'Guns which had a single character card featuring a photograph of Robert De Niro out of Godfellas. The whole style would jar with the rest of the components.

Woo hoo! What a cool idea. I love the style that jars with the rest of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Colburn
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Woo hoo! What a cool idea. I love the style that jars with the rest of the components.
I'm confident that you're being sarcastic, but I can't for the life of me work out what you mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cantabrian wrote:
I'm confident that you're being sarcastic

No, not really. Maybe I'm just too contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
K P Impsta wrote:

This is The Simpsons!!!!

Very Poor.

I am 100% in agreement that this bears a resemblance to the Simpsons. I have had that notion since I first saw the card.

On the other hand, I really don't mind this card. Nor do I mind that there are varying styles to the cards. In fact, it's quite appealing to me to have varied artwork on the cards, plus it must leave the developers some serious leeway in the future.

I think about some games (Munchkin comes to mind) where they tie one series to one artist, and then if there is an expansion that doesn't use that artist, they are just stuck trying to explain the difference in the look of the game.

Seriously though, the medieval / pre-medieval look of games is so generic over the past several years that I don't see any problem at all in changing things up.

Mind you, I am NEVER EVER going to like the US Cover for Dominion. That artwork was clearly a C- in someone's grade 11 art class. I guess we all have things we like and don't like about the art, now that I think about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something to be said about varying art styles and that is that it can draw different people to the game. Some folks are perhaps put off by the "serious" tone of the original Dominion's art, but the cartoony style of Intrigue will make them want to check it out. On the other hand, Dominion fans will complain about the art, but they still *will* get Intrigue because they know they are getting a good game. Perhaps there will be some people who planned on getting Intrigue but gave up because they dislike the art, but I don't think there are plenty of them (there will be quite a few of them that will proclaim they will not buy the game because of the art... like anyone will fall for that ruse).

Still - cartoon art.. nah. Either go nuts with varying styles or keep it consistent. Having basically 50 cards in one style and 2-3 in a radically different, bargain bin cartoon style is simply asking for it.

P.S. My theory for the Harem card is that they put such bad art on purpose so people would focus on THAT and not on thematic incosistency or the fact that the only women characters in Dominion are those nice scantily clad harem ladies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.