Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Tragedy plus Time = Comedy, Michael Jackson rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
I hear that since MJ is 90% plastic, his body is being melted down to make Legos.

That way, kids can play with him for a change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite one's feelings regarding his admittedly eccentric life, making fun of someone who just died is particularly sad. He does have family, friends and admirers who are grieving for him you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Tragedy + Not Enough Time = Not Funny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon, Van. We don't get all weepy here in RSP. There's a thread in Chit Chat if you want sincerity. Here, it's all about the schadenfreude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More details have now come in. Apparently Jackson had tripped over a child's pram.

His family are blaming it on the buggy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
The newest reports are saying that it wasn't a heart attack, but food poisoning.

Apparently, he ate a nine year old wienie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
How much time is required though? I admit that for me it was about 1.2 seconds.

In Portugal it would take 2 days. But since there is the weekend, only on Monday the jokes will start.
That is the usual time to start jokes on any tragedy here.
The only one I dont recall anyone making jokes about was a train crash in 1985 or 1986.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
C'mon, Van. We don't get all weepy here in RSP. There's a thread in Chit Chat if you want sincerity. Here, it's all about the schadenfreude.

In general I agree. Regarding someone's death however... Meh. Carry on as you like but it is just poor form for my tastes. It comes distressingly close to radio shock jock crap, rather than simply RSP crap. But hey, to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

In general I agree. Regarding someone's death however... Meh. Carry on as you like but it is just poor form for my tastes. It comes distressingly close to radio shock jock crap, rather than simply RSP crap. But hey, to each their own.

I'm an RSP lurker, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I don't have much respect for Michael Jackson's personal life, "tastes", etc. However, for the possible child abuse victims and their families I believe it is distasteful to make crude jokes about his perversion. It does seem more of shock factor than any true comedy.

As a parent I do wonder why/how so many parents sold out in order to let a billionaire befriend their children and let them stay with him, unsupervised by them??? That, to me, is shocking.......and sad. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Heartless bastards. As a way to pay tribute to Jackson’s early life, try listening to One Bad Apple without crying like I am doing right now. It’s tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously it's difficult to "enforce" on-topic postings on RSP, but things are really getting out of hand. Can we get a moderator to start moving these kinds of things to Chit Chat? Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Obviously it's difficult to "enforce" on-topic postings on RSP, but things are really getting out of hand. Can we get a moderator to start moving these kinds of things to Chit Chat? Seriously.

I'm having trouble reading that last word without it sounding like a 14 yr old valley girl.

Like, seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's hard to talk when you're tea-bagging." -- Anderson Cooper

"When I was 10, for some odd reason, I went to Studio 54 with Michael Jackson..." -- Anderson Cooper, two months later.

Anybody remember when CNN used to report the news instead of these touching personal moments?

Rest in Peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
EgorjLileli wrote:
However, for the possible child abuse victims and their families I believe it is distasteful to make crude jokes about his perversion. It does seem more of shock factor than any true comedy.

See, for me, as a victim of childhood sexual abuse, making jokes about MJ's child-molesting is good, 'cos it keeps focus where it should be: that MJ was a wonderful entertainer, sure, but he was also a selfish bastard who thought he was allowed to molest kids 'cos he was rich (and sadly, he was right). If he ever came out and said, y'know, "I've got a problem," I'd be all for extending sympathy and grace to a guy who obviously had a fucked-up existence from word "Go" and clearly needed help. But he just bought his way out of trouble and proceeded his merry way.

There's entirely too much weepy "King of Pop" bullshit going on today that glosses over the fact that he was a fucking creep. I wouldn't wanna piss on the lovefest in Chit-Chat, 'cos that's those folks' thing, and I can dig it. But if there's a thread over here in the deep end that invites jokes, I'm in.

Fuck you, Mikey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Real formula:

(A Person's Sadness factor)*Tragedy/[(Personal Distance From Event)^2*(Time)]

Some recent studies have suggested time should be squared, but most reports find a person's sadness factor and personal distance incorporate this extra factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Despite one's feelings regarding his admittedly eccentric life, making fun of someone who just died is particularly sad. He does have family, friends and admirers who are grieving for him you know.

Yes, he touched alot of people in his lifetime.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
I wouldn't wanna piss on the lovefest in Chit-Chat, 'cos that's those folks' thing, and I can dig it.

Yeah, I thought this is where you put stuff like this rather than in Chit-Chat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
BigWoo wrote:
Tragedy + Not Enough Time = Not Funny

Let it ferment for a while then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
MJ was a wonderful entertainer, sure, but he was also a selfish bastard who thought he was allowed to molest kids 'cos he was rich

Do you have any evidence for this? It seems unlikely, to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Holmes! wrote:
MJ was a wonderful entertainer, sure, but he was also a selfish bastard who thought he was allowed to molest kids 'cos he was rich

There's only one thing in your universe, and it's not a pedophile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Holmes! wrote:

I agree - he wasn't a wonderful entertainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun Fact!

Joking about death is often related to the unconscious desire to distract oneself from making the connection between a very salient example of human mortality and one's own.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Fun Fact!

Joking about death is often related to the unconscious desire to distract oneself from making the connection between a very salient example of human mortality and one's own.

-MMM

That is not fun at all! This thread is teh suxx0r!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Fun Fact!

-MMM

Life clocks are a lie! Carousel is a lie! THERE IS NO RENEWAL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.