Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm currently looking at a ww2 pacific theatre wargame focusing on carriers. I'm zooming in on 3 games: Flat Top, C.V. and "Scratch One Flat Top!". I've read all the comments, but I kinda miss a comparison between two. Anyone with experience with any of these two willing to tell me which one they like better (over te other), and why?

Thanks,
Matthijs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Any input about complexity, # pages in the rulebook, bookkeeping(-problems), realism/ historicity, experienced game time, online vialbility (Cyberboard, VASSAL) on any one of these 3 is also greatly appreciated! Anything to make up my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat Top and CV are pretty similar (and also super complex). Scratch one CV is a 3W game, and as such is unlikely to be very well designed.

If you can get your hands on the AH Smithsonian Midway or Guadalcanal, or one of the Avalanche Press games on Carrier Warfare (SOPAC, Midway, etc.) they might fill a bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Scratch One Flatop is very well designed, and even has a partner called Incredible Victory.

There is good reason to be wary of many 3W wargames, but SOFT is not one of them.

A thoroughly enjoyable wargame.

Flat Top is very much more detailed and and excellent too.

I really can't decide which one I prefer most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.