Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: LOS in Gullys? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We(My Dad and I) are playing the Night Dance scenerio and we have question about LOS in Gullys. Now the major rule on LOS is that it's reciprocal. If unit A can see unit B, then unit B can see A.

Now when it comes to gullys the ability to see the unit in the gully one must have their unit adjective or on higher ground. Now does that same rule apply when it comes to the unit in the gully and being able to see the unit outside the gully. Do the units have to be adjective to ultimetly see one another. Or, does the unit in the gully have an advantage in being able to have LOS?

We have been playing that the units in the gully have an advantage in being able to see enemy units, but that breaks the major rule of LOS being reciprocal. I feel we are playing incorrectly. Help me out here. I'm sure this question has come up, but I didn't feel like looking through 15 pages of questions...

Thanks for the support guys!

BGG Rocks,

Randall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reciprocity rule always applies. The units that can see units in a gully can be seen by those units in the gully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markus_kt wrote:
The reciprocity rule always applies. The units that can see units in a gully can be seen by those units in the gully.

OK. So the only way opposing units can fire at each other(one being in a gully and the other not) is if they are adjacent to each other. A unit in the gully can not shoot at an enemy three or four hexes away then?

If I'm reading you correctly, unit A (in gully) can't shoot at unit B in the trees two hexes away and and unit B can't shoot at unit A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
OK. So the only way opposing units can fire at each other(one being in a gully and the other not) is if they are adjacent to each other. A unit in the gully can not shoot at an enemy three or four hexes away then?

If I'm reading you correctly, unit A (in gully) can't shoot at unit B in the trees two hexes away and and unit B can't shoot at unit A.

Yep, unit A, in a gully, can't see or shoot (or be seen by and get shot at) unit B if B is two hexes away, at the same level. The gully rule is, "a unit in a Gully cannot be seen except from an adjacent hex or a hex at
a higher elevation [T88], and vice versa."

Thus, units in gullies can see adjacent units, as well as units at higher elevations (and at crest hexes at those higher elevations, per the hills rule). The units it can see can see back at the units in the gully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response Mark!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
markus_kt wrote:
Thus, units in gullies can see adjacent units, as well as units at higher elevations (and at crest hexes at those higher elevations, per the hills rule). The units it can see can see back at the units in the gully.

In my experience the crestline rules are the most confusing feature of the hill rules, so I really must clarify here: units at higher elevations can only see units at lower elevations if the higher units are in a crestline hex. Otherwise, the more elevated units are behind the crestline, thus breaking LOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or to put it even more simply (I hope). To see down, you have to be on the edge of a hill. To see units that are higher, they need to be on the edge of the hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.