1 Posts

Chaos Isle: The Lunatics Expansion Set 3» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The Lunatics Expansion Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS WAS POSTED IN THE CHAOS ISLE: ZOMBIE DECK BASE GAME ENTRY AS A REVIEW. Since nobody has posted a review yet I figured Ill throw this one down for anybody perusing the expansions.
--------------------------------------------
The complete Chaos Isle collection so far:

CHAOS ISLE: Zombi Deck Base Game (Or the blue box)
CHAOS ISLE: Fresh Meat (1st Expansion)
CHAOS ISLE: Reinforcements (2nd expansion)
CHAOS ISLE: The Lunatics (3rd expansion)

Ive already stated my thought on the game in a previous post here on the geek, so now that thats out of the way i can talk about the new expansion.

I think The Lunatics is the best expansion so far in the Chaos Isle line. It offers up some new characters, equiptment and missions that keep the game fresh. I especially enjoy the tank.

The new characters have surprising powers that, at first glance, look to unbalance the game. When I saw that Jeff the Intern could use ANY Zombi's own attack against it I thought it was a game crippler, but i soon discovered that it wasn't (this being because i may get a significant bonus against a tough to beat creature, but in the end even a free +2 isn't enough to cut it)

As stated before I really like the tank, but the obligatory 1 gas spending to use it kinda throws it off for me. Why not just use the more convienient firmans axe. Yeah the tank can hit 6 zombis at once, but am I gonna risk going up against a Corpse Grinder with just a +1?

I REALLY like the new missions. It adds another agenda other than just resource gathering. (one mission involves aquiring pairs of zombies regarless of the resource)

What i really like seeing now is the spending of the resources (for example the obligatory 1 gas spending to use the tank) I think Realms Masters Game Forge can do alot with that mechanic. It would give me more incentive to kill the zombis i would normally run from.

Also it ramps up the player zombi options with weapon enhancements, but id like to see that route explored further in another expansion, or maybe a supplementary rules release on their website.

ALL IN ALL
I feel that The Lunatics is the best expansion released for Chaos Isle so far. I enjoyed Reinforcements because of the exterminators, but i dont really like the food missions (usually somebody ALWAYS beats me to mission completion before I've even found 2 food) and i wouldve liked to get more variety in a 10 card expansion (8 of the 10 were exterminator zombis) but all in all i think all 3 expansions come together with the base game to make a full package, and The lunatics had just the right amount of variety and potency for me.

I give "The Lunatics":

8 out of 10

while im at it Ill rate the other 2 expansions

"Fresh Meat" gets:

8 out of 10

"Reinforcements" gets:

5 out of 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.