Subject: D'ers Absolutely No Gold in D'ees 'ere 'ills! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
So someone cracks out Boomtown at our game night. Never played it before, but I was interested in giving it a shot. We go over the rules, and then off to the Great Wednesday Game Night Gold Rush!

Besides having two lovely ladies sitting to my left and right (in the strictly platonic sense), I soon learned that my placement on the table was poor for purely strategical reasons. I soon found that the high bidders decided to sit at the other end of the table, leaving me with the dregs of auction payments and mediocre mine selections.

I decide if I can't get the best mines, then my goal would be to spread out my number distribution. Self-proclaimed mayors start popping up all around me, while I build a set of mines that will efficiently produce gold every turn. "Ha ha! They will all cower at my ingenuity!"

Or so I thought.

My numbers: 5
Roll: 9

My numbers: 5,6

My numbers: 5,6,8

My numbers: 5,6,8,9
Roll: 10

Grar!

Then things start to really fall apart. You see, red mines are coming up more and more frequently, and I've inadvertently entered into a race with the existing mayor. As a result, even though I'm obviously in last place, I am his target for mine destruction! The other players also notice this, and the red town becomes a popular hot spot for setting up saloons.

As the game comes close to an end, my diversified number selection finally pays off! Three gold in my blue mine!!

...which I apparently take to the local saloon and spend on booze while ogling the dancing ladies.

The game ends. I turn out my pockets, watching the moths fly away. Who won is irrelevant at this point, as I gaze upon my spectacular failure.

You know, when you play a game for the first time, you're going to inherently be at a disadvantage. My goal in these situations is to adopt some form of strategy. If it's not working, go ahead and change it, but be directed and intentioned in your actions. Sometimes it pays off. Other times... you create the inverse of a winner, the perfectly designed loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent description!

I enjoy this game, but my daughter really dislikes it (although she has won most the times she has played it). So, it just doesn't get to the table these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.