United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
when all formations are depleted at the very end of a battle, do the russian formations that add units when depleted get to add units to that building (assuming the russians won that battle). Or does this addition of units only occur during battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Stock
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had assumed it was only during battle, but you raise an interesting question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking it is just during battle too, but I wanted to make sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Page 10 (D) indicates that the depletion effect only occurs when the unit is depleted in battle.

(The depletion after a battle is part of the aftermath and does not trigger depletion effect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that too, but formations with the Burning Skull icon are sent to the ash heap when destroyed no matter what, even when they have to deplete after battle (note Aftermath is still technically part of the Battle Phase). Therefore, the same could potentially apply to the Red Star Medal units. Nonetheless, I do think that addition of an elite unit was meant to apply if the formation was depeleted during Action Rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougherty
United States
Philadelphia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
The depleted Soviet formations only add Elite units to the board if they are depleted during a battle. The automatic depletion at the end of a battle does not count for this purpose, just as you do not have to execute a Rifle unit when a formation with the machine-gun icon becomes depleted at the end of a battle.

Hope this helps!

-Jeff D.
HoS Design Associate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules covering depletion explain this issue. It says that the four starting Soviet formations are unique and sent to the ash heap rather than destroyed formations. The effect on the card is just restated to remind players of their unique status whether during battle or aftermath.

I don't think the other effects of elite or machine gun are supposed to happen during aftermath, but the rules confuse the issue a bit when it says the effects take place during the battle phase and aftermath is listed as part of the battle phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has there been a definite solution to this issue yet?

We have had the same problem come up in our games.

The aftermath is part of the Battle phase. But the battle ends when the hold counter is moved to the break test square. Here it should clearly be stated: when a formation is depleted during a battle...or during a battle phase? It seems to be 'during a battle'.

The rules say: 'every formations that has survived until the end of the battle is depleted and moved to the staging area'. So the depletion is done before going to the staging area? This would make it possible to apply the effects on the current building.

A final ruling by the designer would be welcomed.

Regards,

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tom,

I want to think Steve weighed in on this but for the life of me I can't find the post. The answer is that formations depleting as a result of aftermath do not applay their effects. The battle is over, so it reflects the fatigue of the formations involved whereas during the battle the depletion is a special occurance and triggers the formation's special ability.

Note: The 4 starting Russian formations DO NOT go to the ash heap on depletion, only when they are destroyed, ie their 2nd depletion while depleted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.