Subject: Gathered List of Unanswered Questions for Baby Blitz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's what I found fuzzy after reading the manual. Feel free to add questions, for they will be (hopefully) officially answered!

7. Game Phases
Phase 1: Place the German Fighter Squadrons

the German Fighter Squadrons are positioned on any four German airfields, one fighter squadron per airfield

Q: since the Germans now have 5 squadrons (3x Me110, 1x Do217, 1x He219), how do we place them?

Phase 3: Determine the Weather

Q: there is at least one weather card that uses 4 storm markers, and I only have 3 storm markers. Do I have to convert one cloud into a storm with a white marker? Or maybe the weather card is wrong?

Phase 4: Plan the British and German Attacks

Q: do I have to plot V1 movement during this phase? Sometimes there are 2 ways I can use to reach the target hex, are they pre-programmed in this step, or I just can fly my V1 in any way I desire during the game turns?

Phase 7: The Game Turn

Scoring:

1. The Mosquito moves - no scoring
2. The German fighters move - the Mosquitos score vs. up to two German night fighters. The Uhu scores vs. up to two Mosquitos.

Q: this contradicts with the scorechart and the design notes, which rules are official?

4. the German bomber/V1s move. British GRM score vs. the bomber/fighters or a single V1

Q: is there any interaction between German fighter squadrons and British AA?

8. Special scoring rules

3. If two Mosquitos are in the same hex as an Uhu, the German player scores -1VP oto the Uhu scoring total

Q: the -1VP doesn't make much sense. Base Uhu VP for 1 intercepted Mosquito is 1. For 2 Mosquitos, it's 2. The -1VP modifier brings it to 1VP again. Wouldn't it be easier to rule that Uhu can only intercept 1 Mosquito squadron? Or I got the scoring wrong?

1. The He177 scores +1VP for every turn in which it evades British interception (...)

Q: does 'interception' mean Mossie squadrons, or does it count AA too?

10. The Function and Use of the Game Materials

The Mosquito

Q: is it legal to drop 12 target markers on a single city, using 2 mosquitos?

Q: is there any limit in bombs dropped on German airfields? Am I allowed to drop 12 bombs on a single airfield, to create -12VP penalty for takeoff/landing on that airfield?

11. Optional Rules

Window

Q: when do I decide to use Window?

Q: do I put the Window card into the flight deck during the raid preparation (not knowing German GRMs) or do I decide to use it during flight?

Wilde Sau

Q: when does Wilde Sau score? In the phase it moved (if moved on a hex containing bomberstream), or in the british bomber movement phase (if they fly into a hex with 'waiting' Wilde Sau?

Q: does Wilde Sau suffer -1VP penalty for attacking a Spoof Raid?

On the second night the British do not use Window and the German player may use 2 Wilde Sau markers

Q: There is only 1 Wilde Sau marker in the game box...

Examples of scoring

Three Me110s enter a hex containing a Mosquito. Full moon, summer, clouds, turn 4. The Mosquito scores:
base 1VP
full moon = +1VP
summer +0VP, too early
clouds -1VP
for both planes = +1VP

for a total of +2VP

Q: I don't understand the 'base 1VP' and 'for both planes'. In the stanrad game, it was 1VP for each squadron intercepted. So: base 2VP, +moon -clouds = 2VP. Or did it change? Do I score a single fighter now, and they multiply the VP by the number of fighters intercepted?
Let's ditch the cloud from the example to see the difference:

'old' method (standard game):
2VP for 2 fighters
1VP for moon
=3VP

'new' method (new rules?):
1VP for 1 fighter
+1VP for moon
=2VP per fighter

=4VP for 2 fighters?

The german text of the example seems to indicate a 'new' scoring, english translation lacks the detail.
If this 'new' scoring applies, the -1VP penalty for the Uhu for the presence of 2 Mossies would make sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good questions. Did you send this list to the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did, and got a reply too. We'll have to wait for answers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Koznarsky
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry boyz, but work, family and lots of stressors have gotten in the way of me checking the BGG site. Unfortunately, this site is blocked by the "gubmint" computer I use at work. Best to write me directly at: weesp@yahoo.com.

I'll review the questions above and get the best answers I can. It has been some time since I read the rules but will get back to you.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Koznarsky
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biernath_John wrote:
Okay, here's what I found fuzzy after reading the manual. Feel free to add questions, for they will be (hopefully) officially answered!

I apologize for any errors and for taking so long to get back to everyone. I anticipate that part of the problem with the rules is that they are being playtested and discussed near Seattle (US) and put together in Hamburg (Ger) - it's a challenge across two continents and languanges!

7. Game Phases
Phase 1: Place the German Fighter Squadrons

the German Fighter Squadrons are positioned on any four German airfields, one fighter squadron per airfield

Q: since the Germans now have 5 squadrons (3x Me110, 1x Do217, 1x He219), how do we place them?

Darn! Definitely a typo that got past us. Place the planes on 5 airfields.

Phase 3: Determine the Weather

Q: there is at least one weather card that uses 4 storm markers, and I only have 3 storm markers. Do I have to convert one cloud into a storm with a white marker? Or maybe the weather card is wrong?

Good question - are you sure they represent storm and not fog? If four storm, a temporary conversion would be required. Unfortunately, I don't have a finalized copy of the rules, just the pre-playtest version.

Phase 4: Plan the British and German Attacks

Q: do I have to plot V1 movement during this phase? Sometimes there are 2 ways I can use to reach the target hex, are they pre-programmed in this step, or I just can fly my V1 in any way I desire during the game turns?

Yes, you should plot all "bomber" assets at the same time. You should pre-program the V1 before knowing what British assets are on the ground.

Phase 7: The Game Turn

Scoring:

1. The Mosquito moves - no scoring
2. The German fighters move - the Mosquitos score vs. up to two German night fighters. The Uhu scores vs. up to two Mosquitos.

Q: this contradicts with the scorechart and the design notes, which rules are official?

The design notes are merely FYI. Did you mean rules? I don't have a copy of the actual game so I don't understand the question. The Mosquitos score vs German planes (like the original game); the new Uhu scores vs the Mosquitos. Could you clarify this question? If it is a matter of when to actually score this, you can score the Uhu's hits directly after the Mosquitos or with the other German fighters.

4. the German bomber/V1s move. British GRM score vs. the bomber/fighters or a single V1

Q: is there any interaction between German fighter squadrons and British AA?

Yes. This one must have been lost from the translation of the older way the QRC were produced to the new ones. The nightfighters lose a fuel line for every British AA in the hex.

8. Special scoring rules

3. If two Mosquitos are in the same hex as an Uhu, the German player scores -1VP oto the Uhu scoring total

Q: the -1VP doesn't make much sense. Base Uhu VP for 1 intercepted Mosquito is 1. For 2 Mosquitos, it's 2. The -1VP modifier brings it to 1VP again. Wouldn't it be easier to rule that Uhu can only intercept 1 Mosquito squadron? Or I got the scoring wrong?

No, the -1VP is correct. I think it might have been added for play balance (as the Uhu would be too powerful - FYI: balancing the scoring for this game was a REAL challenge!) Friedemann explained it another way, too, that escapes me now.

1. The He177 scores +1VP for every turn in which it evades British interception (...)

Q: does 'interception' mean Mossie squadrons, or does it count AA too?

Mossie only.

10. The Function and Use of the Game Materials

The Mosquito

Q: is it legal to drop 12 target markers on a single city, using 2 mosquitos?

Yes, that would be a legal use of the target markers. Unless/until, we find that too many people are complaining about play balance and we restrict it! It is IMPOSSIBLE to write rules to cover every possible combination.

Q: is there any limit in bombs dropped on German airfields? Am I allowed to drop 12 bombs on a single airfield, to create -12VP penalty for takeoff/landing on that airfield?

No limit. See the response above. Keys to remember are play balance and fun. If one entire side finds a rule too restrictive or limiting, it ruins the game.

11. Optional Rules

Window

Q: when do I decide to use Window?

At the beginning of the game, before anything is placed on the board. It should likely be the first decision made.

Q: do I put the Window card into the flight deck during the raid preparation (not knowing German GRMs) or do I decide to use it during flight?

You should put it into the deck before knowing the German GRM, of course! You need to make an educated guess - it's not a game otherwise, right?!

Wilde Sau

Q: when does Wilde Sau score? In the phase it moved (if moved on a hex containing bomberstream), or in the british bomber movement phase (if they fly into a hex with 'waiting' Wilde Sau?

The bomber has to move into the waiting Wilde Sau.

Q: does Wilde Sau suffer -1VP penalty for attacking a Spoof Raid?

Another good question and one I'm not entirely certain I have the best answer. Off the top of my head, I would say yes, the WS should have a scoring penalty vs the Spoof Raid. Unfortunately, my set of Window/Wilde Sau are from the special magazine insert that highlighted the Duel in the Dark game some years ago. They are in German und mein Deutsch ist nicht zo gut! I'll have to ask Friedemann again.

On the second night the British do not use Window and the German player may use 2 Wilde Sau markers

Q: There is only 1 Wilde Sau marker in the game box...

Yes, I think I recall Friedemann saying he had extra WS but not enough for two in each box. The rules were written for the actual Window/Wilde Sau expansion; those in the BB game are actually free extras that Friedemann placed there. I guess you'll either have to buy the expansion and have three WS (unless you split it with a friend!) or make a second.

Examples of scoring

Three Me110s enter a hex containing a Mosquito. Full moon, summer, clouds, turn 4. The Mosquito scores:
base 1VP
full moon = +1VP
summer +0VP, too early
clouds -1VP
for both planes = +1VP

for a total of +2VP

Q: I don't understand the 'base 1VP' and 'for both planes'. In the stanrad game, it was 1VP for each squadron intercepted. So: base 2VP, +moon -clouds = 2VP. Or did it change? Do I score a single fighter now, and they multiply the VP by the number of fighters intercepted?
Let's ditch the cloud from the example to see the difference:

'old' method (standard game):
2VP for 2 fighters
1VP for moon
=3VP

'new' method (new rules?):
1VP for 1 fighter
+1VP for moon
=2VP per fighter

=4VP for 2 fighters?

I thought the old method was the right method. Example: 1 Mossie, two Me110 in a cloudless hex, turn 10, summer, full moon:

2VPs for the fighters
1VP for full moon
1VP for summer

4VP
I'll have to confirm this with Friedemann and check previous FAQ. This wasn't supposed to reflect a new change.

The german text of the example seems to indicate a 'new' scoring, english translation lacks the detail.
If this 'new' scoring applies, the -1VP penalty for the Uhu for the presence of 2 Mossies would make sense

I wrote the English rules (and take the ding for five German planes setting up on four airfields!) but not the German ones. A better question to ask to Friedemann, himself.

Please forward and other questions directly to me at: weesp@yahoo.com
I'll try to do a better job checking the BGG more regularly.

Thanks again!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Koznarsky
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another clarification from a question Łukasz asked regarding Mosquito vs Uhu scoring: the rules are correct as written (English version.) The design notes merely discussed the transition of the game during playtesting. Initially different methods were tried in an effort to find the best way to score the Mossie vs the Uhu. In the end, making it the same as the original Duel game worked best.
The Uhu scores when it enters a hex with a Mosquito.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some more, after a few games:

Q: When there are 2 mossies in one hex, how do they score against incoming german fighters? Do I score 'per mossie'? Example: 2 mossies on the cloudy hex, 2 Me110s enter.
a) a single mossie scores 2VP (2 enemies) -1VP (clouds) = 1VP total, which becomes 2VP (x2 for 2 mossies)
b) mossies score 2VP (2 mossies) + 2VP (2 enemies) -1VP (clouds) = 3VP

I think mossies score individually, it would make sense, for example: one mossie is on high alt, the other on low. The first one would score 1VP, the other one 0VP, for 1VP total

Q: British flak guns: they reduce the fuel of german nightfighters, and that's very cool. Is there any interaction between flak fire and german squadron flight level (low/high) and/or the presence of a british searchlights?

Q: Mossie scoring vs german nightfighters: how is the -1VP penalty for the presence of Uhu counted? Example: 2 mossies on a clear hex, high altitude. Uhu enters the hex on high altitude. Let's say that mossies score individually.
a) Each mossie scores: 1VP (1 enemy) -1VP (the enemy is Uhu) = 0VP for 0VP total?
b) Each mossie scores 1VP (1 enemy) for 2VP, that is reduced by 1 (Uhu penalty) = 1VP total.

Those sorties with multiple fighters on each side make my head hurt, we NEED some detailed and compicated examples to clear things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more!

Quote:

>> Q#1: When there are 2 mossies in one hex, how do they score
>> against incoming german fighters? Do I score 'per mossie'?
>> Example: 2 mossies on the cloudy hex, 2 Me110s enter.
>> a) a single mossie scores 2VP (2 enemies) -1VP (clouds) =
>> 1VP total, which becomes 2VP (x2 for 2 mossies)

This is the correct scoring - you have it right!

>> Q#2: British flak guns: they reduce the fuel of german
>> nightfighters, and that's very cool. Is there any
>> interaction between flak fire and german squadron flight
>> level (low/high) and/or the presence of a british
>> searchlights?

No difference for high vs low altitude. No interaction with searchlights.

>> Q#3: Mossie scoring vs german nightfighters: how is the -1VP
>> penalty for the presence of Uhu counted? Example: 2 mossies
>> on a clear hex, high altitude. Uhu enters the hex on high
>> altitude. Let's say that mossies score individually.
>> a) Each mossie scores: 1VP (1 enemy) -1VP (the enemy is
>> Uhu) = 0VP for 0VP total?
>> b) Each mossie scores 1VP (1 enemy) for 2VP, that is
>> reduced by 1 (Uhu penalty) = 1VP total.

I believe that choice B is the more correct. The -1VP penalty is taken after the scoring is done, otherwise, it's far too strict against the British. I'll check on this one, too.

Thanks again!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
> 1. Two mossies on a hex, two me110s and uhu enter that hex.
> Each mossie may choose to fight two me110s and ignore uhu.
> Does -1vp penalty for the presence of uhu apply? I think
> not (the rules mention something like that)

Yes, the penalty applies.

> 2. Two mossies on a hex, one me110 and uhu enter that hex,
> uhu is on different altitude than the rest of the planes.
> Every mossie scores vs single me110.
> Uhu is out of the fight (different altitude), but does the
> mossie suffer -1vp penalty for the presence of uhu on the
> same hex?

No. Only if at the same altitude.

> 3. Uhu on a hex, two mossies enter that hex. Mossies are on
> different altitudes, so uhu may only attack one of them.
> Does the -VP penalty for the presence of 2 mossies apply?

Good question. I would say the 01 does not apply but will have to re-read the rules to be certain. Thanks!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, thanks for all the info here, it's very useful for me as I'm not sure whether to get this at the same time as the base game. By the way Lukasz, is that the 'Khanate' logo as your avatar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's a Khanate logo, and you're the first one who recognized it, congrats!

Last time I checked, both base game & baby blitz were avaliable on www.playme.de, priced reasonably (much cheaper than www.rebel.pl, where I bought mine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the link, I'll have to see how it works out on postage. This looks like the perfect solo game for rainy winter evenings, but I'm also considering B17 as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Biernath_John wrote:
Quote:
> 1. Two mossies on a hex, two me110s and uhu enter that hex.
> Each mossie may choose to fight two me110s and ignore uhu.
> Does -1vp penalty for the presence of uhu apply? I think
> not (the rules mention something like that)

Yes, the penalty applies.
Michael

I disagree. The rules clearly state that the penalty does not apply(page 6/ par. 8 (Fighter vs. Fighter)/ point 4. ). And it seems to have a good reason. The penalty is apparently there to keep Uhu useful - for when Uhu enters Mossie's hex and scores 1 for Germany, Mossie cannot score his own 1 at the same time - that would keep the total on zero.
So if Mossie choose not to attack Uhu (it can attack a max of 2 squadrons and there is 3), i don't see a logical reason for the penalty.
However, if there is just one squadron and Uhu or just Uhu alone at the Mossie's hex, then Mossie has no choice and attacks - and in this case there is a reason for the penalty since Mossie gets his point for Uhu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
weesp wrote:
Another clarification from a question Łukasz asked regarding Mosquito vs Uhu scoring: the rules are correct as written (English version.) The design notes merely discussed the transition of the game during playtesting. Initially different methods were tried in an effort to find the best way to score the Mossie vs the Uhu. In the end, making it the same as the original Duel game worked best.
The Uhu scores when it enters a hex with a Mosquito.

This is sooo bloody confusing.
You say: "In the end, making it the same as the original Duel game worked best." That means Uhu scores when Mosquito enters his hex.

And the following sentence is: "The Uhu scores when it enters a hex with a Mosquito". That means clearly opposite.

So we have a clarification based on opposite statements.

Guys can either you or Friedman put here what the rule really is?
There is so much confusion about that. Put your final word here.

The rules clearly state that Uhu scores when the German fighters move.
The score boards show opposite. This is 4 years old issue. Please do resolve it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Redondo
msg tools
hello all,

I dont know what means some cards of this expansion:
- 4 cards for british compass cards that indicate height (as 0 value)
- 4 cards for german compass cards that indicate KM (as 0 value)

Despite of i have read other posts i cant understand how to use V1's
- It is clear that you have to plan your route. From which city? It is indicated that one fighter per airport, then you have 5 airports busy. you need to put 3 V1's and a german bomber in 4 empty airports, is it correct?
- How do you plan your route? with a paper o you can use compas cards for V1's and for the german bomber?
- How works the cards for V1's? I cant undersantd what it means yet. Please, could anyone explain in detail how to move exactly and how it works?
- How do you use target indicators of V1's? you put this target indicators when you plan the route? or when you have to use it? Why you have more than one if you can only attack one city per V1?

I am trying to play but it is impossible for me due this questions. Thank you so much for answer all these questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.