Vincent Yip
msg tools
mb
Hello! This is my first post in BGG. Hope someone can help to solve my problem.
The situation is that:
1) I have an empty bank pile and there is only a multi-colour property wildcard played in front of me.
2) My opponent then play a "It's my birthday" action card.

Shall I transfer my only multi-colour property wildcard (a card which have no monetary value) to my opponent?

Thanks in advance for your input!!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hu
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't think you have to give your opponent anything. The rules state that if you cannot pay, you do not have to pay. The multi-colour property wildcard clearly states that "This card has no monetary value".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyromaniac42 wrote:
I don't think you have to give your opponent anything. The rules state that if you cannot pay, you do not have to pay. The multi-colour property wildcard clearly states that "This card has no monetary value".

Thisd is correct.

Your opponent, if getting no other gain, should just play the birthday card as cash into his bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Yip
msg tools
mb
Thanks for Eric and BT.

However, as quoted from the rule "If you have no cards in front of you to pay with, you don't pay at all!"

It seems that the only way to avoid transfer of a card (no matter it's a wild card or not) is that I should have no card in front of me (rather than determine by the monetary amount).

My opponent argued that the wild-card (though have no monetary value explicitly) has its intrinsic value to win the game. Therefore, if I am run out of money, the wild-card should transfer to him.

Just like the situation below:
1) I have a light blue property card (worth only $1M) played in front of me and an empty bank pile.
2) My opponent use "It's my birthday" card and require $2M payment.
3) I still have to transfer all my card (the only light blue property card) in fornt of me to my opponent (though the total amount of debt is not covered) to compile the rule.

Any thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hoover
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, read the Hasbro's FAQ. See "Web Links" section at bottom of Monopoly Deal geek page.

Hasbro has answered this question:

"You CAN’T use the 10-coloured Property Wildcards to pay other players because they have no monetary value."

Hasbro, as the maker, trumps your friend.

Apparently, having strategic/tactical game value and having monetary game value is not the same thing and it is intentional that the 10 coloured wildcards don't have a monetary game value.

I understand your friends confusion because of the "cards" language. Hasbro apparently knows about this confusion and settled it by emphasizing that not having a listed monetary value is intended to mean they can't be used for payment.

If he wants the card, he has to use sly or forced deal and not rent to obtain it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rock Photo Star wrote:
Hasbro has answered this question:

"You CAN’T use the 10-coloured Property Wildcards to pay other players because they have no monetary value."

Ok, I'm willing to accept this, barring any further clarification.

However, the wording of the Hasbro answer seems to imply that a player can't use the 10-color Property Wildcard as payment, if other payment methods are available.
The answer seems to imply that if a player has a choice, he can't use the 10-color Property Wildcard for rent payment, (since it has no monetary value) but must use some other payment method.
I know it does not specifically say that, but it seems to imply it.

It seems silly to me that if a player is unable to satisfy a rent debt using other properties, that he is nevertheless entitled to keep the 10-color Property Wildcard, just because it has no monetary value.

Perhaps there is a problem with the fact that the 10-color Property Wildcard, which is arguably the most valuable property card in the game, has no monetary value.
It would be interesting to determine the design justification behind that.

I think a better Hasbro answer should include the simple statement that a 10-color Property Wildcard is impervious to rent debts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I think if you still have debt pay then you should not be able to hold onto the multi colored wild property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.