Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry in advance for the newbie question:

I finally got hold of a copy of 1830 on eBay and I am anxious to have a game, but I'm not sure about the rules for where you are allowed to begin to lay track.

Do you HAVE to start from your company's base city, or can you place your free marker on any empty city on the map?

If you must begin from your base city, can you begin another line from a different city on a subsequent turn with a train from the same company or do you always have to continue from where you left off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wapahala wrote:
Do you HAVE to start from your company's base city, or can you place your free marker on any empty city on the map?

You must start from the home station.

Quote:
If you must begin from your base city, can you begin another line from a different city on a subsequent turn with a train from the same company or do you always have to continue from where you left off?

The hex in which track is laid must be connected by unblocked track (ie not blocked by other company's station markers) to one of the buuilding company's station markers.

Note: Most 18xx require the company to be able to trace a route onto the new track being built. 1830 has a more generous rule and only requires the building company to be able to trace a route to the hex being built.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You said that I must be able to trace back to a station token that I own, but can I start a new route from any city on the map after I have already established my first route from my Base city by just placing a tile on any city hex and then placing a station marker on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wapahala wrote:
You said that I must be able to trace back to a station token that I own, but can I start a new route from any city on the map after I have already established my first route from my Base city by just placing a tile on any city hex and then placing a station marker on it?

Yes,

If course if the home stations hes is unconnected to any other track after you place that first tile, there is nowhere you can reach for your next build except immediately adjacent to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wilhelm
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a related question along the same lines as the original poster's. My small gaming group played 1870 for the first time the other night. Does one have to lay track in the hex in which your company starts or can you start laying track starting with an adjacent hex? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If the new company's home station does not contain track at the start of its first operating round, the first track it lays must be in its home hex. If the newly floated company already has track in its hme hex on its first operating round, then it may uopgrade the track in its home hex (if possible) or may lay or upgrade any track it may reach from from its home hex.

Insert suitable caveats for 1830, the only game in which the building company merely has to be able to reach the hex it builds or upgrades. In all other 18xx the company has to be able to reach (some) of the new track it builds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Wapahala wrote:

You can't just drop a city tile anywhere on the map, add a token, and start building. Any new city tiles you place have to be either your home base, or connected to one of your stations at the time you place them.

The D&H private is the main exception. You can use that to just drop an unconnected tile and token onto the D&H hex, giving you a new railhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pavelich
Norway
Nordfjordeid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, sbszine. This is exactly what I was trying to resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.