Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troy Dyck
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules it says that during feeding time a player may choose not to "make" the food needed. But what if the player is short the required food needed to feed their family but some of the food is already made and exists in the players supply? Does any existing food get eaten or can the player choose to save that food until the next round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
You never "have to" feed your family, but I can pretty much guarantee that you'll regret not doing so. There are rare instances in which you can afford to take a Begging Card or two, but they are few and far between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if you've played the Mendicant (Or whatever that card's called), it would be a shame not to use him. After all, that food could buy you an Occupation next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Dyck
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so you don't have to feed your family even if you have some of the food.

The reason I asked is because last night I played a game and a couple people ended up having to take begging cards. They had some of the food they needed, but not all of it. I thought that logically in a real world scenario that people would eat what little food they did have before they went begging. But in the rules I couldn't find any rule that said one way or another if a player could choose to withhold the food they had. It only said that they didn't have to make the food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, but you'd get a begging card for "each" food that you are short by. So if you had 3 family members (requiring 6 food total), and only had 3 food already made, then you'd need to beg for 3 pieces of food, giving you 3 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Dyck
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules say that you only get 1 begging card for each turn that you can't feed your family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
tdyck wrote:
Ok, so you don't have to feed your family even if you have some of the food.

The reason I asked is because last night I played a game and a couple people ended up having to take begging cards. They had some of the food they needed, but not all of it. I thought that logically in a real world scenario that people would eat what little food they did have before they went begging. But in the rules I couldn't find any rule that said one way or another if a player could choose to withhold the food they had. It only said that they didn't have to make the food.

They should have fed them any food they could because they have to take a begging card for every food that they are short. Thus, if they are short two food total, they take two begging cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Dyck
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reread the rules and you're right it does say one begging card per family member.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
tdyck wrote:
I reread the rules and you're right it does say one begging card per family member.

Reread them again.

It's one begging card per food shortage. Your two family members need 4 food (in a non-single-player game). If you only give them a total of 1 food, you're taking 3 begging cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would forgive Troy not being able to read the rules - they are after all written in Australian English...
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Dyck
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
I would forgive Troy not being able to read the rules - they are after all written in Australian English...
devil

No no, Mik, they were translated from German to Australian English but were then Americanised (thus the plows instead of ploughs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay - so the rules are written in Americanised Australian English?
No wonder people are having problem them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.