Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked how Modern Art worked out and while I can debate endlessly about balance and dynamics in Container I do like the market dynamics aspects of the game.

Are there any games out there that go further down this path? Auction/Market games that are direct (ie, money made not victory points determine the winner).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Traders Of Genoa - literally every part of every turn is an auction / negotiation, and your final score is the amount of money you have. It's a constant evaluation of what you're paying vs. what you're receiving, and how the two of those relate to everything else out there to obtain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici

EDIT: Not sure if it is "further down the path", but it is purely buying through auction with money and winning if you end with the most money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The designer of Modern Art, Reiner Knizia, has another great game called Medici that also fits that description.

In terms of "money = points", I like Imperial, but it is not an auction game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Art and (already mentioned) Medici are the two purest auction games that I know, where you are bidding with VPs to win back VPs. Ok, in Modern Art, they call the VPs money.

Both Ra and Razzia! are also very strongly auction games, where an auction is the main mechanic of the game, but you aren't bidding with VPs in those games. You are, though, bidding for not just items to score points, but the values you have to bid with in the next round. And, in the final score, what bidding power you have does give/cost VP. Many consider them "pure" auction games as well -- though I don't see them as quite as pure as Modern Art or Medici. But, with their restricted bid set, they are quite interesting.

Das Kollier is a bidding game, where you're buying gems with money -- and is one of the few (posibly only) games other than Modern Art where I've seen more than one auction mechanic used. By that, I mean more than one type of auction used for, essentially, the same goods.

Traders of Genoa, mentioned earlier, I wouldn't call an auction game. I would call it a negotiation or trade based game, where most everything available in the game is a tradeable item.

There are, of course, many other games with an auction used as a mechanic of varying importance. e.g. Power Grid or Princes of Florence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarraCash seems like a good fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Das Kollier.

I'm surprised it doesn't get more love

Vegas Showdown

Technically For Sale and Cat in the Sack.
Not sure if you'd consider "climbing bid" an auction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Ra is the best pure auction game. You aren't bidding victory points, but the whole game is just assembling the items for an auction lot, then auctioning them off, over and over. And it's a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone likes the "blind" auction element, but I really like Aladdin's Dragons. You are bidding on many different board elements and there are some nice bluffing aspects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking to get Medici, sound interesting and haven't seen it played in our game group.

I am a bit surprised that there aren't that many pure auction games. Given the success of Modern Art I would expect there to be more, any thoughts why there seem to be so few?

I wouldn't put RA into this category. I enjoy it, but your bids values are limited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
I am a bit surprised that there aren't that many pure auction games. Given the success of Modern Art I would expect there to be more, any thoughts why there seem to be so few?

My thoughts on why there aren't a lot of pure auction games...

In my experience, it is hard to find a group who wants to play pure auction games. I like them a lot even though my success is pretty erratic with them. Some people love them, some people hate them and many people seem pretty indifferent. Pure auction games don't tend to be too "shiny and new" so I think they get missed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.