Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been introduced to a new time waster. This blog is about important scientific studies! They've search PubMed for me, and now I never have to do a literature search again!

http://ncbirofl.blogspot.com/

Here are some sample titles from the blog:

--Pigeons can discriminate "good" and "bad" paintings by children.
Watanabe S.

--The "Booty Call": A Compromise Between Men's and Women's Ideal Mating Strategies.
Jonason PK, Li NP, Cason MJ.

--A control system for a flexible spine belly-dancing humanoid.
Or J.

--[Inappropriate use of a titanium penile ring. An interdisciplinary challenge for urologists, jewelers, and locksmiths]
[Article in German]
Wiedemann A, Müller H, Rabs U.

--Fresh squeezed orange juice odor: a review.
Perez-Cacho PR, Rouseff RL.

Yes, yes. I'll have to reference some of these in my paper when I resubmit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Optimizing the sensory characteristics and acceptance of canned cat food: use of a human taste panel.

hehehe need to send this for my gf who is a vet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
What sounds absurd not always is absurd.
However, you need to know something about the field, and the problems that field struggles with, to be able to assess whether a research result is absurd or interesting.
For example,
amwiles wrote:
--Pigeons can discriminate "good" and "bad" paintings by children.
Watanabe S.

When you think about this, this is actually quite amazing and very interesting.
The conclusion of the abstract: The results suggest that the pigeons used both color and pattern cues for the discrimination and show that non-human animals, such as pigeons, can be trained to discriminate abstract visual stimuli, such as pictures and may also have the ability to learn the concept of "beauty" as defined by humans

Prof. Watanabe, the author, is quite famous for his experimental research with pigeons. He is also at the same university as I am, and he is the chairman of the (intra-) university organization that funded the symposium I participated in (and which I initiated) a few weeks ago. The latter has nothing to do with me thinking that this paper is actually rather interesring, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.