Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mancala games require only pits and pebbles to play. What other games can be played on the beach if you haven't brought any gaming equipment with you?

The summer is really beautiful in Finland now. The temperature is almost 30C at daytime. Strange. I thought that this was the land of the polar bears.

Thank you for your kind assistance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lakatos
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tic, Tac, Toe drawn into the sand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checkers (stones and shells) if you draw a grid into the sand.

For that matter, ZERTZ, if you could draw the board pattern (and erased each one with your hand), if you had three types of pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, all kidding aside. If you can collect 24 pebbles in two different colors, you could play Checkers. If you can get more, you could possibly play a game of Go. You just have to mark out the board in the west sand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just remembered this one. Duh! I was just there last week!
Konane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikosu Oyama
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice picture!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Gun$: Live
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon you could play Street Soccer on the sand with pebbles. You only need to add a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumb War!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rummikub, Hive, Pickomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dickson
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the GIPF games could be played with rocks if you could find different colors.

In fact, most abstract games could even be played with people as the markers.

COED BEACH Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Rodman
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Erniepaul wrote:

The most hated game on the webworld played on one of the greatest places in the real world... cancel each other out completely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:

The most hated game on the webworld played on one of the greatest places in the real world... cancel each other out completely?

No need to compromise. Tic-tac-toe is a simplification of an excellent and all-but-forgotten family of games sometimes called "merels." And you can play it on a beach as easily as you can play the mancala games: just draw the lines in the sand and collect a couple handfuls of shells or pebbles or whatever. No need for dice or anything else. Here's where you can read about the best-known member of this game family:

Nine Men's Morris

And here's a free online game (in Java) you can play to see if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
biggreen wrote:
Erniepaul wrote:

The real horror of this picture is that the X player went second and won in three turns. It's bad enough if anyone wins a game of Tic Tac Toe at all, but if you allow the second player to win in only three turns, then you shouldn't be allowed out of your padded cell, to say nothing of being allowed on the beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this isn't a board game, it's a word game, and I don't know the name of it, but it works like Mastermind http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2392 and a literary ex-girlfriend and I used to play it all the time while waiting on movie ticket lines (which tend to be long in Manhattan.)

Think of a word. This works with 3, 4, and 5 letter words. Your opponent then names a word, and you tell them how many letters are correct, and how many are in the correct position.

So if you are thinking of "fraud" and she guesses "fruit" that would be 3 correct letters, 2 in the right positions. If you are thinking of "deep" and she guesses "dent" that would be 2/2.

Of course this might work better in English than Finnish especially since English has so many double-letter combinations and obscure short words (I remember I almost got punched in the face over "scree".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Gather sets of shells and play Icehouse games like Zendo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.