Subject: Two Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I have one stack of two infantry units and they begin an action phase adjacent to a WN position. I choose to attack and reveal that the WN unit requires a "flank" weapon. If I choose to move one of my two Infantry units to a flanking position will it come come under "infiltration fire" from both of it moves? It will have to move twice to stay adjacent to the enemy but NOT adjacent to the other Inf. unit.

Also - once a Hero has been killed, he becomes "inspired" - is he still considered a leader? In other words, does he continue to draw fire under the starred fire cards? And if so, does one more hit remove the marker? Can an inspired unit "sacrifice" himself like a Hero can?

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to playing this game real soon!!

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,
In regards to your first question; you can only do 1 action at a time. If you attack with a stack of 2 units and discover you need a flank attack, you will not have it that turn--you will not have the required weapons. The next turn if you use 2 actions you can move both units to gain the flank attack for the following turn. Anytime a unit moves from 1 hex to an adjacent enemy hex it is considered an infiltration move. In my example above, both infantry units would have to perform infiltration checks.

An inspired leader is actually 'dead' but his memory is living on to give the unit a permanent 'free' action. At least, that is how I understand it.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris - I guess the best way to anticipate a flank requirement is to attack a hex in flank position with two units to begin with. I wonder how often that comes up as a weapons requirement...it seems in reading about actual battle tactics, the US soldiers were trained to flank as much as possible.

The treatment of the Inspired unit you mention makes sense. Other than allowing the unit a free action, I shouldn't count its attached unit as having a leader or possessing an extra step; like you said, the memory lives on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick, I find myself almost always trying to have a flank attack-just in case. I believe I only had the multiple flank requirement once or twice. This is the one where you have a fl on both counters. You must attack from at least 3 hexes--all could be adjacent to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Christopher has it right. I would also point out a tip -- No WN units or WN depth markers have the flanking requirement. Only Reinforcement units and their depth markers do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it, weren't most (if not all) of those WN positions concrete fortified and hardened? Most had very limited access points thus flanking them wasn't much of a tactic.

Reinforcement positions were more open and flanking was more common.

Makes sense...good strategy to know especially now that in turn 4 I am just now getting to attack the WN positions with infantry!!

Thanks again, Chris and John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.