Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ACOLAS express: A century of lights and shadows. A century of warfaces on 30 minutes or less.

I will try to make a massive mod of Dune Express with a historical context. Soon I will post a preview of the rules.

The board... well, dont expect much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 1600
Sounds interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Setting Up
1. Place the board in the centre of the table.
2. Pick a random starting player; play will proceed clockwise.
3. Starting with this player and in turn order, players each choose a Faction to play the game.
4. The starting player begins.

Matterials.
You need a board, 8 dices of 6 sides, 15 or 20 coloured tokens and people to play.

On Your Turn

- Recruiting.
You begin your turn by rolling all the faction dice and setting aside any of the dice you want to keep. You must set aside at least one of the dice. After setting aside those you wish to keep, you may re-roll the remaining dice again. Once again you must set aside at least one of these dice. You may re-roll a total of 5 times.
Remember you must set aside at least one die after each roll. Once you have finished rolling, look at your results.

- Politics
Next you must rolling 3 dices and setting aside any of the dice you want to keep and allocate it on plot, location or gold result. You must set aside at least one of the dice. After setting aside those you wish to keep, you may re-roll the remaining dice again. Once again you must set aside at least one of these dice. You may re-roll a total of 3 times.

THE DICE

• 5 Faction Dice, showing the names of the factions:
1 Kingdom of Spain, 2 Kingdom of France, 3 Holly Roman Empire, 4 Italian States, 5 Kingdom of England and 6 Ottoman Empire.
• 1 Plot Die, showing
1 Skirmishes , 2 excomulgated , 3 storm, 4 protection, 5 revolt and 6 famine.
• 1 Location Die, showing the locations:
1 Kingdom of Spain, 2 Kingdom of France, 3 Holly Roman Empire, 4 Italian States, 5 Kingdom of England and 6 Ottoman Empire.
• 1 Gold Die, showing
1 Gold, 2 Gold, 3 Gold, 4 Gold, 5 Gold and 6 Gold.

Faction Dice
There are four Faction dice. Each die result which shows your faction represents one unit Counter that you may place on the board in the space matching the face you rolled on the Location die. However, the amount of troops you are able to place is dependent on your Gold die result giving you sufficient funds.

Location Die
The Location indicated on this die indicates the Active Location on the board into which you may place new Troop Counters, and to which you may move Unit Counters from the Sea. The Sea space is a special location, it is the only location on the board from which you can move Unit Counters to another location on the board.

Gold Die
The result on the Gold die is important to the placing and movement of Troop Counters on the board. For each unit of Gold you've rolled allows you to place one Unit Counter into the Location on the board that matches your Location die, up to the maximum allowed by your Faction Dice result. It also costs 1 Spice to move a single Troop Counter from the Sea to the Location on the board matching the result on the Location die.

Plot Die
If your Plot die shows Skirmishes then you may immediately remove one of your opponent's troop Counters from anywhere on the board.

If your Plot die shows excomulgated then you may immediately remove one of your opponent's cleric Counters from anywhere on the board.

If your Plot die shows storm then you may immediately remove one of your opponent's ship Counters from anywhere on the board.

If you rolled protection, take a corresponding token. This can be used to prevent the loss of a troop. You may only have 2 protection Token at a time.

If you rolled revolt, remove one of your units from the board. You can also discard a protection to prevent this.

If you rolled famine, substract 1 gold to your gold die result.

UNITS
For each unit of Gold you've rolled allows you to place one Unit Counter into the Location on the board that matches your Location die, except on the ship´s unit case.

You can place one of these units:
Soldier. Normal soldier unit.
Cleric. The cleric is a special unit. Every location can only suport 2 cleric units. If a location is controlled by troops a player and have two clerics of annother faction in it, the player at the beggining of his/her turn must throw a dice, if the result marked is 6 the player suffers a religious revolt must remove one of his/her occupant troops.
Ship. The ship is a special unit that the player can only put on sea. The player can only place a ship unit on sea space at 1 gold cost. Every player have a limit of 5 ships units placed on sea.

After placing your units and making any moves you carry out the combat phase. Units from opposing Factions eliminate each other on a 1 to 1 basis. This means that combats will always leave one Faction in command of a space or the space entirely empty.

One unit can only eleminate other unit with a similar class.

Example: A cleric unit can only eleminate a cleric unit.

The Location die indicates the Active Location on the board into which you may place new Troop Counters, and to which you may move Unit Counters from the Sea.

The sea is a special location . The player can only place a ship´s type unit on the sea space. iI is the only location on the board from which you can move Troop Counters to another location on the board. The sea is the only location where the player can co-existis but when any player on his/her turn decide to attack another player they resolve the combat as usually. The player have a limit of 5 ships units.

America is a special location. The player can only move troops to America from sea at 2 gold cost. The player who control America recive a 1 gold bonus on his/her turn.

WINNING
The game have a duration of 10 turns. At the end of the 10 turn the players set their score:

A location controlled (excet the sea and America) with 2 or less troops. 1 Point.
A location controlled (excet the sea and America) with 3 or more troops. 2 Points.
A location controlled (excet the sea) with 1 cleric. 1 Point.
A location controlled (excet the sea) with 1 cleric. 1 Point.
A location controlled (excet the sea) with 2 cleric. 2 Points.
The player with more troops in sea location. 2 points.
The player with more troops in America location. 3 points.

ADVANCE RULES

The player throw an additional location die. That can make the game more quick and offer more strategy.

On Your Turn

- Recruiting.
You begin your turn by rolling all the faction dice and setting aside any of the dice you want to keep. You must set aside at least one of the dice. After setting aside those you wish to keep, you may re-roll the remaining dice again. Once again you must set aside at least one of these dice. You may re-roll a total of 5 times.
Remember you must set aside at least one die after each roll. Once you have finished rolling, look at your results.

- Politics
Next you must rolling 4 dices and setting aside any of the dice you want to keep and allocate it on plot, location or gold result. You must set aside at least one of the dice. After setting aside those you wish to keep, you may re-roll the remaining dice again. Once again you must set aside at least one of these dice. You may re-roll a total of 4 times.

The player can now only put units on sea sacrificing one active location die before the politics phase.

Faction powers.

Now you can gain a faction power sacrificing one active location die before the politics phase.

Kingdom of Spain “Spanish fury”
The player must sacrifice one active location die before the politics phase. You can choose to treat any rolls on the plot Die as a Skirmishes result. Afther this throw 3 dices as usually to obtain the location, plot and gold results. You can accumulate annother Skirmishes result but any other plot result must be discarded except a revolt or famine.

Kingdom of France “Richelieu´s advice”
The player must sacrifice one active location die before the politics phase. You can choose to treat any rolls on the plot Die as a Protection result. Afther this throw 3 dices as usually to obtain the location, plot and gold results. You can accumulate annother Protection result but any other plot result must be discarded except a revolt or famine.

Holly Roman Empire “Heirs of the former empire”
The player must sacrifice one active location die before the politics phase. You can keep two dices 4 times per turn.

Italian States “Word of the pope”
The player must sacrifice one active location die before the politics phase. You can choose to treat any rolls on the plot Die as a Excomulgated result. Afther this throw 3 dices as usually to obtain the location, plot and gold results. You can accumulate annother Excomulgated result but any other plot result must be discarded except a revolt or famine.

Kingdom of England “I sent my ships to fight against men, not against the elements ”
The player must sacrifice one active location die before the politics phase. You can choose to treat any rolls on the plot Die as a Storm result. Afther this throw 3 dices as usually to obtain the location, plot and gold results. You can accumulate annother Storm result but any other plot result must be discarded except a revolt or famine.

Ottoman Empire “Sons of Soliman”
The player must sacrifice one active location die before the politics phase. You can choose the result on the location Die as you wish. Afther this throw 3 dices as usually to obtain the location, plot and gold results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A quick board.

Yes, I am a loser making boards :D

On the left corner you can find America, the numbers indicate the locations and the religious symbols is where you must put the cleric tokens.

Next time I will make a players help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

And this is the player help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I Finished the rules. You can see on the quote post.

Any comment or sugestion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudolf Aligierski
Poland
flag msg tools
It looks nice. First thoughts "looks Risk-y" but I think it's just the map.
I think it would be nice to add some information to the flags/pictures on the player dice aid. You will not have to think if that what you rolled was France or Otoman Imperium during the game. I like the rules expansion - all those additional characters and game goals... I think that might be "Airborne in my Pocket" for "Dune Express"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I falted with the board.

I tryed to print in a DIN4 but the countries are very small to permit a comfortable play.

I will try this: I haved the idea of a "travel Dune express" each of the locations are printed on a cards as the Risk Express.

I will exprot the idea to my mod.

6 nations-location cards.
1 sea card
1 america card.

This can permit a small and confortable board that can permit you to play everywere and it is expandable with expansions (a colonies expansions with more locations as the India and Africa)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tested the game and I discovered a fault.

The clerics are overpowered.

If you win 2 points with a location with 2 clerics and 2 for a location with 4 or more soldiers... is a cheap win.

I will change the cleric cost (up to 2) and change the pope power or make the same system as the ships, you sacrifice a location dice and change the posibility of a rebellion to 5-6 .

With the first option you can spread your clerics over the map with more speed but with more cost, with the second option you are slow but permit you to be more defensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

New art and board.

The location modules have the size of a magic card to fit in a card sleeve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I finished the game. I will try to up to boardgeek this week but I need a corrector style or to find inconsistencies in the rules.

Any volunteer? :p

Is a doc of 7 pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Game uploaded and waitting for validation.

You will find more than in this post. :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44624

Game uploaded! Thanks!

Umf... I must update the previous version. I find some incorrections with terms (I use one time the spice term :D and the protection protect you for the loss of any unit not troop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You will find in the next expansion...

- Strategics points. 3 Specials locations what if you conquest them you gain a special power as the America, India or Africa locations. These power are based on add 1 faction dice on the recruit phase. Every strategic point conquered add 2 victory points.

Example: Gibraltar is a Strategic point. You only can access Gibraltar by sea. If you conquest Gibraltar you can sacricing a location dice to add 1 faction dice on the recruit phase but you must buy one ship as minimal.

- Wonders, explorers and missionarys.
Special units that you can buy sacricing normal units to assure permanently victory points.

- Conversions.
The cleric units can convert enemy units to your faction.

- Mobilization.
You can divide your units over your possesions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Tyson
United Kingdom
Toddington
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, this looks really interesting, and I am making up a set to give it a go.

One niggle (sorry to be so pedantic) - it's Holy Roman Empire, not Holly.

And a query - what does Excomulgated mean? I'm guessing it's similar to excommunicated, but can't find a definition in my (usually pretty good) dictionary at home or online

Cheers,

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ups... sorry my english. I will correct the holy fail.

Excomulgated is equal to excommunicated.

Dont forget to communicate your impressions :laugh:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I made an attempt to streamline this rulebook. GM your email address to me and I'll forward it to you. It's in ODT format.

I stuck it here for the time being:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/znutdzwdumo/ACOLAS_00.odt

I didn't really intentionally change anything, but I could not find a good place to re-integrate the religious revolt thing (2 clerics from an opposing faction in your controlled location), so I just tacked it on as an extra thing to do after resolving all other control disputes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I forgot to mention that I think there's a missed opportunity with the faction dice. Currently, there are no real decisions to be made when rolling them, as either you roll your own faction or you don't. It would be more interesting to have consequences for choosing to lock other factions. Some suggestions ("other" means "not yours"):

* The Skirmishes, Excomm, and Storm plot die effects can only target other locked factions. Or maybe the most-locked other faction (or any one faction if tied, even at zero). And perhaps the Revolt and Famine effects always target the most-locked faction (even if its your own, but not always your own).

* A free, immediate movement (or some small bonus like a gold coin) is awarded to the most-locked other faction (or to all tied factions, even at zero). An awarded movement wouldn't have to be free, it could be an immediate purchase option.

* Somehow remove the Location die/dice and replace it/them with movement rules concerning the other locked factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clean rules!
Spoiler (click to reveal)
But is "sons of Soliman" not Solomon :D

rgmnetid wrote:
I forgot to mention that I think there's a missed opportunity with the faction dice. Currently, there are no real decisions to be made when rolling them, as either you roll your own faction or you don't. It would be more interesting to have consequences for choosing to lock other factions. Some suggestions ("other" means "not yours"):

* The Skirmishes, Excomm, and Storm plot die effects can only target other locked factions. Or maybe the most-locked other faction (or any one faction if tied, even at zero). And perhaps the Revolt and Famine effects always target the most-locked faction (even if its your own, but not always your own).

* A free, immediate movement (or some small bonus like a gold coin) is awarded to the most-locked other faction (or to all tied factions, even at zero). An awarded movement wouldn't have to be free, it could be an immediate purchase option.

* Somehow remove the Location die/dice and replace it/them with movement rules concerning the other locked factions.

I thinked some ideas to the next expansion but i dont have time to implement them.

I thinked this:

Changes on Diplomat and Disaster rules.
You can sacrifice two of your own faction dices to put a diplomat token in any location. The Diplomat's location cannot be targeted by a enemy Plot die or another player Location dice.

You can sacrife two equal dices of another faction to put a disater token in to any location controlled by the enemy faction. The Disaster's location cannot be reinforced by the faction affected or move units into it (even the Sea).

And the conversion expansion:

You can sacrife one dice of another faction and one of your own faction to convert enemy units. For any location having two or one of your faction clergymen and controlled by enemy units you can pay 1 gold to throw a die and apply the result:

- Only a clergymen and two or more enemy units with a result of 5 or 6 you eleminate a unit.
- Two clergymens and two or more enemy units with a result of 4, 5 or 6 you eleminate a unit.
- Only a clergymen and one enemy units with a result of 5 or 6 you convert a unit. Remplace the enemy unit by one of your own troops.
- Two clergymen and one enemy units with a result of 4, 5 or 6 you convert a unit. Remplace the enemy unit by one of your own troops.

If it works i will think on to create a BGG entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
Expio wrote:
Thanks for the clean rules!
You're welcome.
Quote:
But [it] is "sons of Soliman" not Solomon :D
You're also welcome to adopt, adapt, and correct my version as you see fit.

I've discovered at least three more errors in my version:

* No provision is made for getting troops to the New World. (D'oh!)
* Movement costs are likely incorrect or incomplete (I need a concise statement of movement costs because I'm not able to understand your intentions concerning them).
* Movement rules allow placing units directly into active locations, but the rule under UNITS says that a unit's type can only be designated when entering or exiting the Sea location.

If you can clear up the second issue, I'll rework my version.

EDIT: OK, I think I get it. It takes 1 faction die and 1 gold pip to place a new unit, otherwise it takes 1 gold pip to move an existing unit (to anywhere). Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
Here is my next pass:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nzygngzmmkm/ACOLAS_01.odt

I changed New World to Colonies while I was at it.

The only things I still don't understand are the HRE faction benefit and the alliance rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
Mediafire has purged the files, so the latest file was uploaded to the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Javier
Spain
Oviedo
Asturias
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Next time.

ACOLAS revisited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.