Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really isn't a question, but more of a request. We had a four player game the other day, a first time for my three friends, but I've only pushed it around a bit with the family and of course we played by my interpretation of the rules. I thought we were playing it right, but one friend came up with a different interpretation of what constitutes control of an island for victory points. (Does the island need to be connected to the home island by a canoe chain to receive the extra island point or not?) After the game, I went looking for the answer here on the Geek, and found the same question at least twice before. I read the answers given by Kevin McP, and we agreed that my friend's interpretation was right. (Yes, you need a canoe chain to receive the extra island point.)

Okay, here's where I have a problem. In both instances, Kevin stated that we just needed to look at the rules for the answer. However, I've read them very carefully and nowhere is it plainly stated that you must have a canoe chain to receive the extra island point.

The rules state very clearly that you must have a canoe chain to connect atolls to the home island group in order to receive 1/2 point. (5. Victory Step/Island Group Control). However, under 3. Movement & Battle/Transit, it kinda sorta mentions it, "Transport Canoe Chains are necessary for the Transit pre-move, for optimum flexibilty in Building, and for gaining Bonus Victory Points for your Controlled Island Groups." Am I missing something, because this is the only reference I found in the rules? Only by looking at the Player Aid Card do you see that each Controlled Island Group also must be connected by a canoe chain to receive those "Bonus" points. This rule is too important to be so hidden or open to misinterpretation.

I hope that this rule is spelled out very clearly in any future Living Rules or FAQ/Errata issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I can check my copy of the rules later to see if I can find you a specific quote, but I don't remember this being an unclear rule when I first got the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Only by looking at the Player Aid Card do you see that each Controlled Island Group also must be connected by a canoe chain to receive those "Bonus" points.

The best place to find this rule is on the Victory Point Chart on the player's card. But I think it states it pretty clearly there: "must be connected by a Transport Canoe Chain to the player's home island group". I agree that the idea could have been presented better in the rules. It's hard to find: the only place it's mentioned is under the Transit rules, where a Transport Canoe Chain is defined. But if you find it there, it's pretty clear if you cut out some of the clauses in the sentence: "Transport Canoe Chains are necessary... for gaining Bonus Victory Points for your Controlled Island Groups."

This rule is clearly not presented well, as many have had questions about it. I assumed that folks would look carefully at the VP Chart on the player's card before going to the rules, but this is not true for everyone.

I spent a lot of time, and got a lot of help from many people, writing these rules. But I'll try to do better next time.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mingler1 wrote:
However, under 3. Movement & Battle/Transit, it kinda sorta mentions it, "Transport Canoe Chains are necessary for the Transit pre-move, for optimum flexibilty in Building, and for gaining Bonus Victory Points for your Controlled Island Groups."

I think it's interesting that you did find the rule. How it works out to "kinda sorta mentions it" in your mind I do not understand (I guess we all read rules differently). For me, the statement that they are "necessary" for gaining Bonus VPs is unambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Horn
United States
Valrico
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game I was playing, another player also read over all of the rules and Player Aid Card and had the same confusion I had. There seemed to be a disconnect between what the rules said and what the Player Aid Card said. We thought there might be a misprint on the card, because the rule that says that you need a canoe chain to gain a half point for an atoll is very clear. No ambiguity there between the rule and the card.

However, in the Victory Step rules, it says that an island is Controlled if you have a village on the island. No mention of linking it by a canoe chain in order to gain extra points. In order to understand that, you have to refer to the rule in the Movement & Battle section and the Player Aid card. Not clear, and now confusion now exists.

My only thought on this thread was the hope that in any future Living Rules edition, in the Victory Step section, there is a sentence or two that reads something like this: "Each player earns one victory point for each village owned. Players earn one bonus victory point for each Controlled Island Group that is connected to your Home Island Group by a Transport Canoe Chain."

I think that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.